Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mallardduck3

Brick: To paint or not to paint.

Mallory F
7 years ago
We just got our offer accepted on a 1967 split level. Husband and I have different opinions on the brick.

Opinion 1 is that the brick is classic and we should keep it the way it is.

Opinion 2 is that the brick is too orange and we should whitewash it or paint it white.

Opinions? Are we going to regret it if we paint it? We intend on repainting the rest of the exterior sometime in the near future.

Comments (20)

• Mallory F
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    any ideas what colors would look good with that brick? we generally like cooler colors so it might be hard for us to fall in love with a color that will compliment the brick. we like gray and white and having a door with a pop of color.
  • Amy Jenista
    7 years ago
    I just painted our 1905 house all navy. The 1st year, I left all the first floor tan brick and eventually began to feel that there needed to be uniformity of color throughout the body of house.

Our house was built by a pretty prominent architect and I did NOT want to jack up the house and regret painting the brick for the rest of my life.

We painted. It's been 3 weeks and I'm overjoyed and have no regrets whatsoever.

Here's the paint progression :)
  • Mallory F
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    wow! that looks amazing! beautiful home.
  • Maureen Barstow
    7 years ago

Love the color and the house. What state do you live it. Reminds me of houses I've seen in Colorado and here in Massachusetts.

• Mallory F
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Maureen, do you mean Ajtapioca? I am assuming you are talking about the beautiful Navy blue and not my orangey brick color, haha.
  • Mallory F
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Tribble - Thanks for posting that article. I actually stumbled upon it recently while I was researching painting brick.
  • Maureen Barstow
    7 years ago

Mallory, yes, I was referring to the Navy blue. Ha!

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    There is a brick stain that you can apply to alter the brick which will not require constant repainting. A good painter can apply it so that it looks right.
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

I agree with puremichigan. I'm usually not a fan of painting brick, but painting it to compliment or match the siding would be a good idea in your case.

Hope it's okay since you didn't ask, but I would remove the shutters. To be sized right, each shutter should be half the width of the window. Your windows are just too large. I think replacing them with a wide trim would work better.

• Jan
    7 years ago
    We painted our brick white over 10 years ago and they still look like new. Make sure the correct paint is used.
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

Does the brick go all around the house? If it is just on front then I say paint it. It really is not that bad though.

I agree about the shutters, they are just wrong.

• Pennie Heath
    7 years ago

We painted our brick this past week and can't believe how much better it was than the pinky brown old brick! We also had a lot of rotten wood replaced.

• Mallory F
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the reassurance, Teejay. I've been reading a lot of back and forth on the subject but have had several people say that they haven't had any issues with painting.

Also the brick is just the brick veneer in the front of the house, there isn't much of it so if I have to repaint at some point it won't be a big deal.

and thanks to those that put in there 0.02 regarding the shutters. There are a ton of split levels in my area and most of them have shutters like that. Hadn't really thought of changing it but I think putting a thick trim on the windows could make our house unique.
  • Amyzing
    7 years ago

ajtapioca's house is amazing! Paint the brick!

• Bev
    7 years ago

I love the photo that ajtapioca posted with only the siding portions of her house painted navy blue and leaving the brick unpainted. That looks great! I suggest painting the siding portions only on your house navy blue since it will be striking against the brick.

• kathleen MK
    7 years ago
    l would not paint brick no matter how much you see it on Fixer upper. your siding color work with the brick but the accent colors like door and shutters are what is clashing. they might look good in a rusty color from the brick or a deeper shade of the siding.
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    Congratulations on your new home. I thought this may inspire you. Removing the shutters and beefing up the window trim along with painting the brick would give a more cohesive curb appeal.

Whole House Green · More Info
  • Frankie
    7 years ago

If you're unsure do a wash. It will last a few years, It will give you the look and time to decide whether or not you like it. If it's just veneer you could have it either removed or put something over it also. Rock, siding etc. It's much easier to change than a brick build.