Software
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekm

New Artwork Smells of Smoke

10 years ago

I just purchased two pieces of original artwork from Artfinder. The good news is I love the artwork, but the bad news is they smell badly of cigarette smoke. They were shipped over 10 days ago and both the packaging and the paintings themselves smell. They are on the large side, (appx 36'x36") and laid out on my dining table, I can smell smoke when I walk by.


Should I try to remove the smoke myself? Should I return the artwork? (I only have 2 weeks to do so) Should I try to remove the order myself? Should I get a quote to get them professionally cleaned? Should I contact the artist?


Ugh .. I'm so disappointed because I these pieces will look great in my space!

Comments (27)

  • 10 years ago

    I would contact the artist. That is a huge disappointment. I would think an artist would know smoke smell would be a turn off.

    aimeekm thanked Anne
  • 10 years ago

    What is the technique/material, i.e. can it be wiped off?

    http://clicks.robertgenn.com/smell-of-art.php

    aimeekm thanked nosoccermom
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback. I've contacted the artist and will see what she says.

    The art is acrylic, so potentially easier to clean than other mediums. But I don't want to risk damaging the art until I know if I will return it or not.



  • 10 years ago

    Is it on canvas? If so, removing it will be nearly impossible because it will be in the fabric. :-(

    aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • 10 years ago

    If it's not possible to return/exchange the pieces, you might try placing the artwork in a large flat box or trash bag, and cover them with baking soda (which you would then brush and/or vacuum off using a soft brush and cloth). I have NO idea if acrylic painted canvas can stand up to that, so you'd have to research it, and of course, be very gentle with the cloth, brush, etc., if you do try it.

    My parents had had a fire in their previous home years ago, and were able to salvage many of my mom's needlepoints by removing the fire/smoke smell, and even some of the soot which darkened the embroidery silks and yarns, by sprinkling a generous amount of baking soda over them, letting it sit (a few hours?? days??? longer???) and then vacuuming it off with a soft brush attachment. I further "cleaned" the one needlepoint they gave me (the only one I wanted) via this method prior to having it re-framed. I don't recall if we worked the baking soda into the fibers (gently, with our fingers), but you probably wouldn't want to do that on a painting (perhaps on the back of the canvas?).

    aimeekm thanked cat_mom
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I recently brought home a framed (under glass) print that reeked of cigarette smoke. I didn't even notice it when I was initially looking at the piece, but only discovered the stink when I got it home. I put it aside, and within a week or so the smell was gone. That may not work for your canvas though. Here's something I found online, which might be worth a try (although you might want to protect the canvas a bit more than just plopping it in a bag with the charcoal):

    We had that problem when my grandmother (a heavy three pack a day chain smoker) passed away.
    My mother had some paintings cleaned professionally and with others that were family favourites but not worth the professional price, she gently wiped off the front with a slightly damp rag and then she put them in a plastic bag with odor absorbing charcoal (like the kind used for RV's or damp basements, not the bbq kind). I buy mine from a big deparment store in the RV and camping section. They also in some stores keep it near the mothballs and laundry products.
    It worked like a charm.

    aimeekm thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Put it in a big trash bag with charcoal briquets and let sit for a few days. If that doesn't work, try fresh coffee grounds. I have had smoke damage to my home on several occasions, but was able to salvage most everything using one or the other :)

    aimeekm thanked Errant_gw
  • 10 years ago

    You can also simply put them in a shady spot in your back yard and let them air out. My husband does this with dye-cast cars that he buys on e-bay from smokey homes before he resells them.

    aimeekm thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks everyone, you're giving me hope! It's acrylic on stretched canvas.

    I contacted the artist. She responded very quickly and kindly. She said there were no smokers in her house, but there is a wood fire. I've been driving myself crazy smelling this artwork to determine what it smells like. The artwork itself, could be a wood fire, I think. But the packaging, I'm still smelling cigarette smoke. The artist has offered to test Febreeze on a painting she has and let me know how it turns out.

    The pieces are returnable, but it would cost a substantial amount to ship back and I'd lose the original shipping cost. I also really like them of course!

    I'm going to give it a few more days of airing out, and then proceed with all the de-smoking methods mentioned.

  • 10 years ago

    How long ago was the painting completed? Could it be the acrylic medium that hasn't fully dried/cured that you're smelling?.

    I never liked painting with oil because I'm not a fan of the linseed oil smell.

    aimeekm thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    @chijim-I paint with water mixable oils so there is no linseed oil and they act as traditional oils-except traditional oils, some brands, are a tad more buttery. And they are absolutely non toxic. Water to clean the brushes, water to thin and can also be a medium. I've been using them for about 30 years.

    aimeekm thanked westsider40
  • 10 years ago

    It is fully cured, so it is not the smell of the acrylic paint unfortunately.

  • 10 years ago

    westsider40, do water mixable oils take as long to cure as traditional oils?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think it's a great idea to put them in something (a plastic bin maybe) with the order absorbing crystals made for RV's and closets that IdaClaire mentioned. I bought some at a marine supply store for a cabinet I purchased and it worked very well. No mess involved at all.

    ETA I've also gotten smells out of old furniture using lots of crumpled newspaper. You could try that in a plastic bin, as well.

  • 10 years ago

    Linelle,. Water mix able oils dry in 2-5 days depending on color. I am not exactly sure about curing and/or oxidizing but I think it's probably 6 months or way less. You can frame dry work in a relatively short time,. Few weeks perhaps. Traditional oils take a lot longer than water mix oils for any situation. There are variables, such as, how thickly the paint is applied, how much oil is used to act as a medium, how many layers there are, etc.. In any case, water oils will dry and cure faster than trad oils. Jerry's Artarama is a retailer with useful info on their website. Others are cheap joe's, art something warehouse, dick blick, ya ya. Really fun so give it a shot. Years ago, I read that talent is95% desire so I bought that koolaid and enjoyed the process. Contact me if any questions.


  • 10 years ago

    OdoBan has odor removing crystals and sprays.

    I have wiped canvas art (gently) with a cloth dampened with OdoBan to remove cooking odors. It's safe if you're careful.


  • 10 years ago

    Odoban is great you can also put them in a bag with coffee grounds as they also act like a filter similar to charcoal

  • 10 years ago

    westsider40

    @chijim-I
    paint with water mixable oils so there is no linseed oil and they act
    as traditional oils-except traditional oils, some brands, are a tad more
    buttery. And they are absolutely non toxic. Water to clean the
    brushes, water to thin and can also be a medium. I've been using them
    for about 30 years.

    ***********************************************

    Tks for the info.

  • 10 years ago

    Follow up ...

    I aired these outside for a few days while I was out of town (shaded and protected of course). When I came back the smoke smell was 99% gone!


    Now they are finally hung!



    Thanks everyone for the advice!

  • 10 years ago

    Yay! They are beautiful. Is it OK to say I think they are hung a bit high? Could just be the angle of the photo, though :)

    aimeekm thanked Errant_gw
  • 10 years ago

    Love your art! Who is the artist?

    aimeekm thanked jlsch
  • 10 years ago

    Glad it worked out. Looks really nice in your space.

    aimeekm thanked always1stepbehind
  • 10 years ago

    Even better now that they're lower. And they were awesome before! Nice.

    aimeekm thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • 10 years ago

    They're lovely! Nice choices for your pretty room. Glad they smell much better too.

    aimeekm thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Much to my angst I have seen many Post Office AND UPS drivers inside their vehicles with a cig hanging out of their mouths! A real bummer as an artist and online retailer myself who goes out of the way to make sure a package is clean and smells nice for customers! I feel for this shopper AND artist... must have been a huge bummer to get that smelly news! BTW A dusting of baking soda shouldn't be a problem for most any artwork unless it's wetted and/or metal.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I brought a large painting in my house from an auction. In no time, the whole house was contaminated with a very strong smoke or other smell. I gave it many treatments of vinegar, without a significant result. Desperate, I used a water-based wood primer even on the back of the canvas, expecting to damage the painting permanently. The smell has completely disappeared. Moreover, it doesn't change the appearance of the painting or the frame like a varnish would surely do. Such a smell seems to penetrate deep in the wood frame, and not only on the surface.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida