Software
Houzz Logo Print
crlove25

15 years ago
I am looking to give this house some curb appeal. We bought 8 acres and this house sits on the side of our property and is being subdivided off of the main lot. We would like to use it as rental property and build a house on the remaining 7 acres but I don't think we would have any success with it looking like it does on the outside. My husband remodeled the inside of the house and it looks great, unfortunately, the outside won't get many people in. I would like to get ideas from any of you regarding painting the brick, rock, trim, door, windows, walkway, etc. What materials could you see being used? The front is the rock and brick, side has vinyl siding and the back is brick and concrete blocks. Also have the shed that needs to be painted to match the house. Thanks!

Comments (44)

  • 15 years ago
    Don't paint the brick! The trim might look nice in a pale beige that draws from the stone. It's in dire need of some landscaping, something taller to the right of the house where it slopes down to make it more visually level.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    house needs a more welcoming exterior - a front deck? a patio area? landscaping in front with a leading to the door. A welcoming paint colour on the front door.....so much could be done depending on the budget you have & the look you want. Enjoy
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    In one of our commercials there is a house we painted almost like yours, They had 2 different colors of brick some stone and siding, the house is in our photos take a peek, We will repost it on our FB wall
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    If you want to have some kind of connection with the interior you need to post images of what you have done inside......? Is it traditional or modern??

    Painted brick looks best with darker shades.
  • 15 years ago
    In the front, the right window is much too small; especially with all that brick around it. You should open it up, if possible, with a bay window or at least something bigger than what is there now.
  • 15 years ago
    I would take that negative space to the right of the entrance door and place a lovely trellis with a flowering plant like a climbing hydrangea or a hydrangea tree. I'm not sure where you live but in the northeast they flower through the fall and would lend a nice cozy feel. Window boxes with draping florals and greens would also look nice. At the back I would paint that concrete block in a complimentary darker greens or continue the trellis as in the third photo along the back wall with some plantings. Maybe boxing in the ac and tank. The shed could just use some paint. I see real potential!
  • 15 years ago
    I would have to say that really the only thing I see being done to really make it look nice and uniform is covering the entire house in 'like wood' siding. If you don't want to side the whole thing, paint the brick an antique white (rustic with some of the red brick showing through) and paint the windows back along w/ all the doors. A new synthetic slate roof would be a fabulous addition as well. Get rid of everything in front of the house (but hold on to the monkey grass) and make a big 8' deep front porch w/ columns and wrap it to the right side of the house.
  • 15 years ago
    I feel like there is too much going on here with brick, stone, siding, and concrete. I am ordinarily one of the first to say don't paint the brick!! BUT... unless you are going to completely re-do the exterior in one uniform material, I see no other way to bring continuity to the outside than painting the brick, siding, and concrete all one color that coordinates with the beautiful stonework. If you are going to replace the exterior, I would do siding because I think it would go best with the stonework and would bring the shed into the flow of the house. I agree that landscaping goes a long, long way in beautifying any space.

  • PRO
    15 years ago
    I'm thinking since this is a rental house you don't intend to spend a lot of money on this.....any new build is going to up the cost. You need to compliment the fake stone but how you do any of this depends on the "style" you want and how it relates to the interior......
  • 15 years ago
    windows BLACK not back!
  • 15 years ago
    Thank you all for the replies... I've posted several pictures of the inside below, kitchen, living room couch and chair and bedroom headboard to see somewhat of the style. The house is all hardwood except for tile in the bathrooms and kitchen. It is a 3 bdr, 2 bath, only about 1600 square feet. We were planning to do a flagstone walkway but talked with a couple of landscapers and one suggested brick pavers. I would love to put a porch on the front, but with the windows so small we have very limited light and I wouldn't want to cover that up. We could use a new roof and could maybe change the roof pitch when we do that to have a porch? There are several things we can do, but I don't know the order in doing it.
  • 15 years ago
    There are no windows in our bedroom except for the french doors on the front of the house. We would like to add windows, but need to get a quote on how much that would cost. I guess we have so many options to help with curb appeal and I'm struggling with which one would make the biggest impact. The houses around us for sale and rent all have garages. We have no garage, just a parking space. But the lot would be almost one acre, most of the houses around are on .25 acre.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    I would consider painting the brick the darkest color that is in the stone. A satin black painted front door and some black shutters and white window boxes. Expanding the front steps (keep the steps wide across the whole porch area, even with a patio cover type of covering) into the blank space to the right of the front door would add more interest and give a more welcoming curb appeal.
  • 15 years ago
    What a fun challenge! I'd suggest painting the cinder blocks a medium sage green and the sided gable a lighter version of the same green. Consider painting all the trim a bright white to keep the stone and brick from looking "muddy". A gray-toned slate roof would look fantastic. The front definitely needs some architectural interest. If you opt for a porch, take a pointed gable from one side of the front door towards the small square window so that you don't cover the natural light of the larger window. Thick columns in the front corners of the porch would visually balance the structure. I think the same white as the trim would be great, and maybe one of the above-mentioned greens for the column blocks to tie it together. If you want to add dimension to the doors on the stone wall, perhaps build a simple trellis entry that mirrors the porch and helps balance it. The two could be connected by an irregular path (gravel, wood, etc.) and landscaped on either side. I'd make the landscaping simple so the exterior of the house doesn't get too busy, but keep the lines flexible to counteract the rigidity of the house. Maybe plant some shrubs going down the slope as well. Replace the white downspout with a rusty chain to simplify the visual line. Paint the shed the two greens. Finally, I'd add a little touch of bright red to keep your eye moving (even just a pot of geraniums could go a long way), and a bit of black to ground it all. Have fun!
  • 15 years ago
    This house was built by a committee! I've read the comments, and it boils down to "to paint or not to paint." Given the different mediums, even though painted brick is more maintenance, it would definitely unify the house into one coherent theme. I would NOT paint the natural stone. It's the one thing about the house that has character. One of the colors in the stonework would work. A light color will make hte house look larger and if the trimwork is painted the same color, it unifies and makes the small windows less noticeable.

    The french doors are a nice touch; repeating that in a front door would "theme" it.

    It would be relatively inexpensive to create a paver-and-stone pebble area from the front stoop to the french door. Deepen it, step it to accommodate the slope, and give it definition with pots of plants, something flowering, would unify one end of hte house with the front door so the 2 doors don't look like they belong to different buildings. The end of the house could be softened with a trellis and tall plants (Italian yews?).

  • PRO
    15 years ago
    I think that a great start would be to get a large trellis for climbing flowers to span across the majority of the stone area on the left side of the house (in front). Or maybe a large, not overly-ornamental, wall fountain.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    you could remove the crazy paving on the walls too..... 70's Uuugh!
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    Since it is a rental property, you are going to want the biggest bang for your buck. I would not paint the brick, but would definately repaint the trim and door. Pick 2 colours from your stone work. Paint all the trim one colour and then your door the darker of the 2 colours.

    The french door is a very nice touch, but the far window, which I assume is the kitchen is too small. If possible install a larger window, or add shutters to this to give the illusion that the window is bigger. Paint them the same colour as the front door.

    Landscaping will always bring the front of a home to life. Something about adding colour that always makes a space look better. Also, maybe add a patio area with a few nice pieces of wrought iron in front of the french doors. Include a walkway to the main door area. It may even be to your advantage to splurge for a new front door that accents the french doors. Include some large pots filled with flowers, and possibly a window box. You could add a nice trellis with a climbing vine for height by the kitchen window.

    The concrete at the back could possibly be painted.
  • 15 years ago
    Tunnel sky lights. above the front door, kitchen, and living room, and one in the hall to bedrooms. Very reasonable in pricing. This would add much more light into the house and not as invasive as regular skylites. Maybe use the same type stone from the left, and place as facade on the bottom of the rest of the house. Then you'll only need to paint the trim and door. Use flagstone up the walkway and widen that. Make the front porch larger, enough for planter and 2 small chairs or a bench. I agree, larger window to the right of the front door if you can afford it. If you can't, this is the direction to make a larger front porch. You don't need the cover, just place a seating area under that smaller window. On the right of the house, but more forward, place a bush that will grow big (hydrangea) or evergreen tree. (maybe move the one that is already there). It looks like maybe you could grade the front of the yard sloping away from the house, not toward it, and terrace that. Paint the trim a darker color of the stone from the left of the house. The shed same color. If you don't like the idea of bringing stone to the bottom part of the brick side, then paint it. Sorry, but the two mediums just aren't working together. Paint the front door eggplant or wedgewood blue. Use that color on trim, but just slightly. Paint the concrete in the back the same color of the siding.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    to match the stone which has much visual interest...i would stucco the block and brick....also a trellis/arbor along the front of the house with a stone patio to create an inviting entry....the rear of the house....that is a challenge.....
  • 15 years ago
    PAINT THE BRICK IN THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE IN A LOVELY LIGHT NEUTRAL TO MATCH THE STONE. PAINT ALL THE TRIM JUST A HINT LIGHTER IN A HIGH GLOSS. PAINT THE FRONT DOOR BLACK AND ADD A STRIKING DOOR KNOCKER.. TO THE RIGHT OF THE FRONT DOOR PLANT A SMOKE BUSH, THE DARK LEAVES WILL BE STRIKING AGAINST THE LIGHT BRICK AND WILL FILL IN THAT AWKWARD SPACE. PUT SHUTTERS, PAINTED THE COLOR OF THE BRICK, ON EVERY WINDOW AROUND THE HOUSE (EXCEPT THE BIG ONE). NEW FOUNDATION PLANTINGS (ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH CHERRY LAUREL? EVERGREEN, SMALL FLOWERS IN THE SPRING, AND IT CAN BE TRIMMED INTO A LOVELY, SOFT HEDGE) IN FRONT OF JUST THE STONE END, PUT IN A FRONT PATIO OR DECK WITH A BENCH, POTTED PLANTS IN FRONT OF THE MAIN STRUCTURE AND A LOVELY WALK. A POST LIGHT AND DOOR LIGHTS AND YOUR GOOD TO GO IN FRONT.

    BACK OF THE HOUSE.....YOU NOW HAVE SHUTTERS ON THOSE WINDOWS. ALL ALONG THE BASE OF THE FOUNDATION PLANT MANHATTAN EUONYMUS, WHICH IN A COUPLE OF YEARS WILL CLIMB UP AND COVER THE FOUNDATION, YEAR 'ROUND.

    HAVE FUN WITH THE SHED. PAINT IT THE SAME COLOR AS THE BRICK, TWO TRELLISES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE DOOR WITH AUTUMN CLEMATIS, A BARN LIGHT OVER THE DOOR, AND THE DOOR ITSELF...WELL, HOW ABOUT B/M ORIENTAL IRIS? AND A COUPLE OF PLANTERS WITH FILLED WITH PANSIES, LICORICE, DAISIES.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    since it is a rental you do not want to go over board on expensive improvements, however, it does need some help. In the back I would put a row of evergreens that don't get too high and block out light into the house and then plant flowing shrubs in between the deck and the evergreens. On the front I would mulch around the tree and front, add some height and instead of replacing the too small window plant a dogwood or some type of decorative small tree. On either side of the front door you could put two somewhat large planters with boxwood. The renter can add flower around the bottom of the boxwood if desired and if not, you have a very nice accent that will still be there if you decide to sell it.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    Once you paint brick, you can never un-paint it. Bring a deck out in front of the rock addition. Erect a slatted privacy fence either from redwood or other material that can be painted to match the red brick. Angle, one end towards the brick half with a portion extending beneath the living room window. This gives a sense that fence is a unifying element and that you are simply not hiding something.
    You don't say if the basement always remains dry. You may consider a terraced arrangement stair stepping down from the road/street towards the house. This would reduce the velocity of the water towards the home. Thus preventing the washout that is occurring.
  • 15 years ago
    I have found that painted brick is very satisfactory..prep well and choose high-quality products. Pull out the darkest grey color from the stone..leave the stone, as it adds interest. It appears that the roof needs work ?..how about replacing it with a composition "slate-style" roof. I love the idea of the Euonymus on the rear of the house.



  • 15 years ago
    I have four rental properties and would take a "lipstick and rouge" approach. It's remarkable what some paint and trim can do. You've done a nice job of the interior. The house has solid materials - there's just no accents to help them pop. I'd paint the aluminum brickmolds around the windows, the front door and the eavestroughs and downspouts a warm gray that picks up the tone of the stone and unifies the look. I'd add a vertical piece (alum or wood) between the brick and the stone in the front and also paint it a gray so there's a transition between the stone and the brick that looks like it belongs there or plant some creeping ivy in that corner between the stone and the brick. Agree with everyone saying you need some landscaping/a nice walkway and to paint the shed. A lovely front entry light and some chichi house numbers would update it and when tenants come to look at the house - night and day - have that light on.
  • 15 years ago
    I would paint out the brick a taupey-greenish color that coordinates with the stone and beef up the window(add shutters) and door with trim in a black or very dark green. Since you mentioned a new roof and changing the pitch..I say yeah! and then add an open-air gable type over the door painted in creamy white. I would also add a small sitting area off the french doors with a garden (you can plant Knock- out rose bushes that are low maintenance since it is a rental) that encircles the stone siding part of the house with cottage/english garden plantings. Add a small tree to the opposite end of the house such as a Dogwood for height and some boxwoods staggered along with two small carpet rose bushes flanking the porch for pop of color.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    I would agree w/ the landscaping idea thrown out here. The brick is a tough one, tho. Paint it if you don't want to spend the money to replace it with Hardiboard or other siding. I would also add that you should replace the front door w/ a TruStile MDF French Lite door w/ frosted glass. It will mirror the French doors and let some light into the room. You can also paint it a color to create some interest if you go w/ the grey/brown color for the brick that you pull out of the stone.
  • 15 years ago
    So many good suggestions already. The lipstick & rouge approach mentioned alteady is wise. We have owned rental properties for 36 years...and like you, strive to provide a lovely well cared for home to tenants. We have had a lifetime of fantastic people renting from us. However, we have learned a few things in those decades. Choices we make have to make financial sense unless we are looking for a very expensive hobby with intensive responsibility. In this case I would paint the brick to blend with the stone...to unify visually. Even if it has to be repainted in 5 years it's a manageable expense and worth it for the curb appeal. I would paint the front door a warm welcoming color...perhaps a deep coral. Replace the light with a new larger scale lantern (we just purchased a fantastic one at a box store for under $50) & new house numbers. Landscape with something tall next to the door to bring your eye up. We've also learned to select landscaping that is relatively care free (unless you want to hire a gardener)...it is the rare person (including renter) who loves to actually do the work of gardening. The idea of evergreens or flowering shrubs is fantastic. We also have planted shrub roses...low maintenance and glorious with a great cottage presence. I would put shutters on either side of the small window (scaled appropriately) and paint them perhaps a couple of shades deeper color than the one you select to paint the brick to add dimension and visually expand the small box of the window. I think a window box is a wonderful idea - but again think through what would be planted and who would water it...I have found watering to be sporadic to non-existent with most tenants tending not to think of it. Also a walk of brick or stone pavers with a larger front patio and 2 bright colored adirondack chairs or a brightly painted loveseat sized garden bench and a table to have a cocktail or a lemonade would be a lovely welcome at the front of the house. In back I would definitel
  • 15 years ago
    oops...I carried on too long! ;-) ---I was just going to say in back it looks like you do have a deck a bit away from the house. I would clean the back up visually by building a wood box around the a/c and other building essentials...so the visual when in the back yard at ground level is clean and unified...and the deck you already have is a pleasure to utilize.
  • 15 years ago
    You've been given some great ideas already. Painting is the least expensive with the biggest bang and would maximize the exterior appeal, particularly
    judyg's ideas. Keeping it simple, unified, minimized, and in your budget
    of course is key. Definitely adding shrubs, especially arborvitae evergreens,
    and trellis where appropriate will enhance the appeal as well. You seem to have great taste and I'm confident that you will choose wisely from the many
    suggestions you've been given! God bless you as you make this home a haven for your renters. Hope you will post a photo when this project is done.
  • 15 years ago
    Cecebe gave you exactly the advice I was going to give, except I will add the paint colors; Sherwin Williams 'Colonial Revival Stone' for the body of the house excluding the stone, 'Classic White' for the windows, 'Tricorn Black' for the shutters and 'Rockwood Red' for the front door.

    The shutters I mentioned should be added to the small front window, as well as the side and back windows. This will give them more presence, making them appear larger.

    Paint the foundation the same color as the body of the house. Use the same color for the basement door thus making it 'disappear'.

    The french doors should be painted the same as the body, so the eye isn't drawn to them. Same for the down spouts.

    Paint the shed in the same colors.

    It looks like you are in the south based on the magnolia and the crape myrtle. Osmanthus, Yaupon Holly, or a Wax Myrtle might work nicely on the corner of the house. You might consider running a fence acroos the front from the right hand corner of the house to visually eliminate the slope. you should consider pruning the shrub that is to the far right in the top picture down to about half the size it is now. The Liriope (monkey grass) could be dug, divided, and replanted around the base of the trees like a ground cover or around the back foundation to help eliminate the mud splashing onto the house; which is the reason I chose the 'Colonial Revival Stone' for the body. Hygrangeas or azaleas will work well around the air conditioner. You can build a covering or use these to hide it.

    Be sure to do a window box under the small front window and to plant something that will reflect the front door color.

    The picture shows a great way to get the attention focused on the door.

    I would love to see 'after' pictures! ;-)
  • 15 years ago
    Thank you all for the wonderful response. I went to Sherwin Williams website and have been trying my hand at the color visualizer. Here are a few pics that I did to change the exterior using janishill's paint color recommendations!! It was a lot of fun!! Now if I could find a landscaping visualizer!!
  • 15 years ago
    crlove25...I'm glad you had fun doing that. It makes a huge difference being able to 'see' the end results.

    I am a bit disappointed in the way these colors work with the stone area. Looking at the first picture you posted I thought that area had more of the 'beige' stones in it. Though this color pallet will work I wonder how 'Attitude Gray' would work for the body, with 'Roycroft' for the trim, 'Rock Bottom' for the shutters, and the same color 'Rockwood Red' for the door. Of course imagining the shutters is pretty easy to do.

    One other thing (I know the program wouldn't let you do it) is the downspouts will disappear when they are painted the same color as the house.

    I much prefer the door without the black trim. :-)

    I have to ask if I am guessing correctly that you are in central Alabama, Mississippi, or Georgia? I am originally from the Birmingham area.


  • 15 years ago
    We are in NC, north Charlotte area. My husband and I agree with you about the front door. We don't care for the black trim either so we will be removing that door! I will change the colors again and repost. I can also change the masking to add the downspouts in with the color of the brick!
  • 15 years ago
    You are in the 'red clay' belt.

    I look forward to seeing the new 'results'!
  • 15 years ago
    Nice job! I agree with janishill about graying the color to blend with the stone. And love the Rockwood Red door. Great start. The photo of the red door with the numbers painted on it is lovely as well.

  • PRO
    15 years ago
    I haven't tried it, but here's a link to a free landscape visualizer that you might want to give a try.

    http://download.cnet.com/Showoff-The-Visualizer/3000-18499_4-10462476.html

    I would also agree that you might try something in the grays for your paint color. I used Benjamin Moore colors for mine: Bear Creek (a gray with a lot of brown in it) for the siding, Ashley Gray for the trim and Sweet Rosy Brown (#1302, which looks drab on my screen but is really a lovely deep red) for the front door. BM has a paint visualizer on their site as well if you want to play around with their colors.
  • 15 years ago
    As an appraiser, let me offer you some advice. The exterior of this home will have little, if any, value on the dollars you will receive. Keep it simple, paint, and minor relandscape goes a long way. DO NOT OVERIMPROVE or you will be upside down. If this was your home, I would agree with a makeover to make you happy. But given the info you provided, redoing the exterior, other than minor improvements, makes no sense whatsoever. BTW, the interior is beautiful and it will rent itself. Good job.
  • 15 years ago
    santu, you voiced my thoughts, which is why I suggested painting and shutters and other minor landscape ideas; improvements that provide bang for the buck. :-)
  • 15 years ago
    janishill, you are very smart and I'd like you on my team any day of the week. Picking colors like you have is a gift! So talented.
  • 15 years ago
    i think your color pics are great if you change the roof to slate or stone and add some nice landscaping it will look beautiful. also you may want to add some pushouts
  • 15 years ago
    thanks santu! i'm available any time.
  • 15 years ago
    MOST OF THE IDEAS PRESENTED TO YOU INVOLVE SWEAT EQUITY, THE PRICE OF PAINT AND A FEW PLANTINGS. EVEN THOUGH I AGREE WITH SANTU'S COMMENT ABOUT NOT OVER IMPROVING, THIS HOUSE IS STILL YOURS AND IS ON YOUR PROPERTY, JUST LIKE A GUEST HOUSE. YOU WANT IT TO LOOK THE VERY BEST IT CAN...A REFLECTION OF YOUR GOOD TASTE.
  • 15 years ago
    The house is being subdivided off the main acreage so it will be its "own" property and not part of the planned new home. This is a great idea in case you wish to sell it in the future. Good luck with whatever you decide. You have tons of great ideas from so many creative individuals on this site, but you alone are the final judge and of course it is your pocketbook. Based on your interior remodel, you will do just fine!
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH