Software
Houzz Logo Print
lucillerossi

Window treatments and pizazz?

10 years ago

I know the photo makes it difficult to see details and colors. We have just painted our master bedroom BM Gray Owl, with white ceiling and trim. I found a similar gray duvet set with shams. The small accent pillow is in tones of gray, found at TJ Maxx, which can easily be traded out.

I need ideas for window treatment styles. There is a third window to the left out of range of the photo - I'm leaning toward a box valance?- and also some ideas for fabric/colors or something to give the room some pizzazz! If I stay with the gray family, I'm worried that it will be too boring?

I am also looking for lamp ideas - shapes and colors.

any suggestions would be very much appreciated. thanks!

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If it were my room, I would find some colorful bedding and use that as a jumping off point. I don't really get the gray-on-gray look myself. If you do want to keep the gray bedding and the gray walls, maybe look for some brighter pillows and choose window treatments based on what colors speak to you. I'd probably do roman shades in a fabric with color/texture to create interest, and remove the vinyl shades you have. We got cordless roman shades in our bedroom recently and I love the ease of opening/closing them and the softer look (as opposed to cellular, solar or other options, and I wasn't looking for drapes).

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Some floor lamps would balance out the room since you have a lot of low furniture right now. For a pop of color, practically any will work against the grays you have right now. Just choose a color that won't be hard to find other items to match to, since the key is repeating it throughout the room.

  • 10 years ago

    Try this link: http://www.zazzle.com/krafty_kreations. It has great wall art to brighten any room. Maybe put a canvas picture above the headboard?

  • 10 years ago

    thank you. I've since put a mirror over the headboard. I have some art, and I'll try it out. thank you


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Looks like a very neat and restful room. You can keep that look and go with soft colors, or do something brighter. Contemporary or traditional? I don't know that I would do straight (box) valances; you need some softness. You could do a soft cornice/valance with a curve. Inside mount roman shades would be nice. 1, 2 or 3 would give you some shape.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi Lucille!

    Your room right now is quite nice! I brightened the photo up a bit so I could get a better idea of how to help you out. While I'm not sure about your aesthetic, I get a transitional vibe from your current space, so my recommendations will reflect that.

    You actually have a great "blank slate" to start with. While your current white/gray color scheme does look quite nice, I understand your reservations about how this can seem "boring." In terms of window treatments, I think roman shades would be a great way for you to jazz up your room a bit.

    This room is similar to yours in that it's white and gray. These are flat roman shades in white, but rather than seeming bland, doesn't it look quite classy?

    Because your dressers are such a dark brown, you can actually go for a darker shade to jazz it up a bit as well. Like in the photo below, any neutral from white to dark gray would work. The reason why I recommend that you pick a neutral color is because window treatments are not something that you switch up often, and you want to pick a color that would go well with the rest of your decor.

    You can order free fabric swatches in order to help you choose what color you'd like to go with.

    As for lamps, like Coates mentioned, I would go for a floor lamp in order to add more height to the room. A simple floor lamp like the one below (with any body color), would look nice - I wouldn't go for one with many legs.

    76" Tall Metal Floor Lamp With Black Finish Black Marble Base, Arch Design · More Info


  • PRO
    10 years ago


  • 10 years ago

    Love what Beverly did with curtains. Consider adding only the outside edges, to fill your corners. You can always add color, if you want via a meatless folded at the foot of your bed; artwork and a pillow. Do it in stages. Get your curtains, live with it for a few weeks. Then add on until you feel you are done. You've got great instincts- go with them.

  • 10 years ago
    Wow you all are amazing! Thanks I will try these great ideas!
  • 10 years ago

    In agreement with Barbara -I think you need a bit more interest in the room since the grays are nice and soft but a bit monotonous. We're doing Katherine's room in similar tones- painted the walls a similar light gray and a gray and beige patterned duvet. I'm adding pillows and a throw blanket at end of bed in pale blue - teal tones.

    Love the curtains and the added mirror!! but would do the mirror in silver tones not gold ( in my opinion) - mirrors are s cheap addition Friday m homegoods and TJMax