Software
Houzz Logo Print
shirley_cappell

Panicked person

10 years ago

Renovating kitchen.i love the clean white gray look. Kitchen is in a condo. No windows, 3 walls. 4th wall is being opened up to dining living room.

I chose my components but am in a sheer panic as I think my look will be out of style in a year or so. ...this kitchen will be it!

No empty wall space as cupboards reach ceiling.

Showing current inherited kitchen and pics of new components. How does one make a final decision?one you have to live with for a long time!

Large gray tile is flooring.small samples are Quartz for countertops.can't decide which.

Comments (30)

  • 10 years ago

    It's very neutral, I think you're pretty safe. It'll be a huge improvement on what you have now. Just make sure it's something you really like, that's all that really matters. Everything gets dated eventually.

    Linda Lo thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    To clarify the countertop color, i mean the third one from the left.
    Linda Lo thanked rebk4
  • 10 years ago

    Not usually a fan of an all white kitchen but with this one being so small and without windows and since all the cabinets already painted and using black appliances, do consider painting your kitchen wall and trim and kitchen cabinets all one flat true white (white w/o pink or yellow hue) white. While the kitchen cabinet knobs you have look fine, changing them could give you an opportunity to add some color without overwhelming the small room.

    Budget permitting, do get rid of that counter top and that truly awful matching back splash. The solid medium gray tile (second larger tile that is a vertical rectangle) would be great for the counter top and either change swap the back splash for a painted wall with a single row of matching tile for the back splash or go with the shades of white and gray subway tile.

    I do like your choice for floor tile -- the largest light colored rectangle in the foreground.

    If you're changing out your overhead light fixture, consider a ceiling fan with light -- especially since you have no window in the room. Keep the style of your kitchen cabinet knobs in mind as you pick your light.

    You might want to add a six outlet adapter to your wall outlet over the counter top and add a trim board horizontally beneath the overhead cabinets w/narrow edge affixed to the bottom of the cabinets to hide any wires you expect to be leaving plugged in on a near permanent basis.

    https://jet.com/product/6-Outlet-Power-Surge-Protector-Slim-Wall-Tap-540-Joules/e6b8b36ef1e3486fb4522e38dff74564


    Linda Lo thanked suezbell
  • 10 years ago
    Love everything but the backslash tile. It too busy. Go with something more timeless
    Linda Lo thanked Kathy Patterson
  • 10 years ago

    Don't panic- it looks great! I usually don't like small mosaic tile backsplashes and opt for something simpler. If the kitchen is small, however, I think the mosaic will be fine. Good luck with your project.

    Linda Lo thanked flopsycat1
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi!

    Fabulous choices!

    My fave counter is the largest rectangle-that touches the glass splash tile.

    If budget permits, a counter depth refrigerator would really open up the walkway and make the room appear more spacious.

    Hope this is helpful.

    Best of Luck with your project!

    Linda Lo thanked Natalie
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks everyone for your very helpful input. Do any of you have a suggestion for the backsplash other than subway tile?

  • 10 years ago

    I love the sample of the counter laying flat on your existing. It is so neutral that I would use that as my backsplash as well.

    Linda Lo thanked d7e001
  • 10 years ago

    What about a solid glass backsplash? Your space is small so a really streamlined look would be optimal.

    Linda Lo thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 10 years ago
    The grey and white are nice. If you're looking for timeless, the white Shaker cabinets are definitely it, and they will open up the space a lot. I'm wondering if grey has had its moment, though. Remember all that taupe about 5-10 years ago? It evolved into grey. I've been house hunting for the past year and all I've seen is grey, grey, grey. Who knows what will be next? There are only so many neutrals out there. Have you thought about a black(ish) countertop? Black and white are really classic, NEVER go out of fashion, and you can pop any accent colour in with it and the combo will look great, although a white countertop would probably make your space look larger. A tone-on-tone white backsplash and countertop would be lovely, depending on how busy your countertop is. As for the backsplash, I'm a sucker for a pretty mosaic with a bit of shine or sparkle to it (like a clear/white glass, hexagonal/herringbone marble, or a brushed stainless penny). It really adds a bit of low-key drama to a space without being too much. Ultimately, as long as your stay pretty neutral, you'll be fine. I assume you've been pouring over Houzz kitchen photos and created an idea book? Have you tried searching the photos for different colour combos? If your book is filled with a consistent look that attracts you, then you probably have your answer.
    Linda Lo thanked taragonder
  • 10 years ago

    I think your choices are beautiful. Unless you know you'll sell in the next year or two, decorate it for yourself and not for some future "possible trend" or "what if style".

    Linda Lo thanked ecpt
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with the others - don't care for the backsplash. But I like the cabinets and floor. Any counter would go and you can always choose backsplash after counter is installed.
    Linda Lo thanked Val B
  • 10 years ago
    Are the black appliances staying? What are the names of the quartz counter choices?
    Linda Lo thanked Bette P
  • 10 years ago
    Another choice for backsplash could be the concrete tiles with bold geometric or Celtic type patterns. It is not a safe choice, but could be fantastic. HGTV has shown some on "Fixer Upper" and"Flip or Flop".
    If that is too far out of your comfort level you might look at a "penny" tile. Either neutral or maybe your favorite color.
    Good luck. I'm sure it will look great no mater which way you go.
    Linda Lo thanked rebk4
  • 10 years ago

    Black appliances are changing to stainless steel.

    Quartz ( the lightest one) is cement by Dakota Quartz.

    what is a penny tile?

    I did keep a Houzz portfolio....it was mostly gray and white kitchens!

    Thanks for all your input. My husband thought plain glass subway tile (3" by 9"")would make the kitchen look like a hospital. I actually liked the clean lines!

  • 10 years ago

    Marble never goes out of style. The 3rd photo is 3 x 6 white subway tile. The last photo is a penny tile in a matte finish. If you are opening up the kitchen to your living room dining area, what colors and style of decor do you have to work with in the adjoining space?

    I went from a dark backsplash to a lighter marble backsplash in a not so big kitchen, what a difference in feeling it made.

    Hyde Park Kitchen · More Info


    City Glam in the Country · More Info

    Menlo Park Residence · More Info

    Noe Valley remodel · More Info

    Linda Lo thanked Bette P
  • 10 years ago

    "sheer panic"?

    It's a kitchen--a workspace--not an art museum. No need to be a drama queen about it.

    Linda Lo thanked tatts
  • 10 years ago

    Beautiful choices. The only one I would change is that back splash..The photos posted above give you an idea of beautiful options..classic and never out of style.
    Don't listen to the comment above,,,this person says things like that all the time

    Linda Lo thanked printesa
  • 10 years ago

    Actually I don't think of my kitchen as a work space. I spend enough time in there that I want to smile every time I walk in. I understand though that to some it is just somewhere to cook!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I love your choices. I would also go for a more classic look in the back splash. BTW, I have panicked customers all of the time. It is perfectly natural, it is a lot of money and expensive items. It is good to talk it through with folks. In the end, choose what you like. The best advice that I got almost 30 years ago in my first remodel is to choose something I liked, "not bland for possible resale." When we sold 7 years later, the purchaser loved our choices. I am sure that the blue counter tops have been replaced but it worked then and I loved it .....then.

    Linda Lo thanked Josie Critt
  • 10 years ago

    I like the larger quartz sample. For backsplash you could go with something in simple grey/white but perhaps with an interesting pattern?


    Oblong Blend Tile, Ellia Blanco, 12x12 8mm · More Info

    Arabescato Carrara Chevron Interlocking Honed Tile, Sample · More Info


    Triangle Mosaic Tile White Carrara Venato Marble Gray Dots Honed, 1 sheet · More Info


    Carrara Venato Carrera Marble Dragon Fish Scale Fan Mosaic Tile Honed, 1 sheet · More Info

    Linda Lo thanked Shelly Zap
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Your choices are classic with the exception of the glass tiles. They are popular or "trendy" now but will be "has been" before you realize where the time went. Continue to stick to timeless classics because they are never dated.

    Linda Lo thanked The Iron Studio
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks again everyone, your comments are certainly helping my design evolve.

    One issue that needs some clarification is The Classic Look. What does that mean in terms of my backslash?Some people say subway tiles are classic and some say it's not!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Skip the busy mosaic backsplash and go with a newer fresher style that's just coming in instead of on its way out.

    Linda Lo thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    Skip the 4 inch backsplash out of counter material. Go with just tile.

    Linda Lo thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    If you don't mind a little rewiring this is a terrific idea so that your backsplash isn't punctuated with electrical outlets.

    Linda Lo thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago
    I would go with the lighter counter top that looks closest to marble and subway tile. Be careful of glass tile, I've heard people complain that it has a green cast after install.
    Also agree about counter depth fridge, I have a 3 door bottom freezer and love it. Those few inches make a big difference.
    Linda Lo thanked Jan
  • 10 years ago
    Love it all but the mosaic backsplash. Go marble subway tile
    Linda Lo thanked Brette Sumner
  • 10 years ago

    Love everyone's input. So helpful in my decision making.