Software
Houzz Logo Print
rhudeboye

15 years ago
I'm ready to transform this family room into a clean uncluttered welcoming area. But I'm having a hard time choosing which direction to go in. Would love some perspective.

Photos are taken from the kitchen shooting into the fam rm. The gold accent wall bumps out from the burgundy fam room wall.

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    15 years ago
    The first thing I always have clients do is to choose 3 words that describe what they want the outcome to look like/feel like. You've said "clean, uncluttered and welcoming." Good start and it's a nice room already. But it already looks clean, uncluttered and welcoming to me, so there's something more that you're hoping for and I need you to tell us what that is. In the meantime, you could change out that dark red wall as it adds a lot of heat and drama to the space. Place some very simple, light colored panel drapes (grommet top or on rings), hung up high--one on the left side of that left window, then one on the right side of the right window (I'm standing in front of the fireplace). A table lamp in the room would distribute accent light better, too.
  • 15 years ago
    When I look at the rooms the two major things that jump out at me are the dark and differing paint colors and the flooring....you've got nice things and a nice room...paint the walls a nice, neutral "greige" and change the flooring to wood...whatever you can afford....bring in some color in throw pillows and a nice area rug.
  • 15 years ago
    When redecorating any space, it's helpful to first answer a few basic questions, as decocco suggested. First, are you wanting to decorate with a specific style in mind, like traditional, contemporary, eclectic, etc.? Keep in mind the design of your family room should mimic that of the rest of your rooms to ensure cohesion throughout your home.
    Deciding the room's function is another important consideration, as well as, is who will be and how will they be utilizing the space.
    The answers to these questions will help give you some direction.

    Being that my style is more contemporary, the following is what I would do:
    - Paint all the burgundy walls a bright white
    - Remove all the pictures and nick-nacks from the walls and mantel
    - Make the entertainment center more streamlined by concealing as many of the electronics as possible and replace the floor speakers with in-walls.
    Just doing these things will brighten up this dark room considerably, making it feel more clean and uncluttered.
    Good luck!
  • 15 years ago
    I meant to add...
    If you do decide to go with white walls, I would keep the yellow kitchen walls and add a very few coordinating accents throughout.
  • 15 years ago
    Thanks all.
    "decocco - light colored panel drapes." Why didn't i think of that. I bet it will move me closer to the feel I'm looking for.

    aprilaries- my style is contemporary as well.
    "Make the entertainment center more streamlined... replace the floor speakers with in-walls"
    Excellent tip. That is however an external wall so it might require some expertise.
  • 15 years ago
    I'm also looking into sprucing up the fireplace
  • 15 years ago
    If you're not interested in making the floors of the two rooms match (do large plank wood if you do) you need to go with several LARGE oriental-type area rugs (nothing with large flowers or circles) something classic.
    The colors are very standard, you could keep the yellow, but something a little less intense in that color range would be nice. I would paint the living room a grey (grey and yellow are very in and timeless) and really batch w/ black and brown very very well.
    You'll need to go with something different on the wall with the TV, possibly large white boards (like 6" varying sized bead board) and paint the fireplace brick antique white to match and rub off some so the red bricks are showing through. Paint the wood mantle black and only have 2 - 4 larger items on the mantle, place those items in a book shelf.
    Windows - treatments, a fun yellow patterned fabric for long drapes that fall straight down.
    Place your cute chairs on either side of the fireplace and more artwork is needed on the far right walls above the couch. I would take the 4 art work you currently have up and place them above the tv in a line. Get a cool large chalk board (easily found at antique shops) for the kitchen wall next to the telephone.
    Post pictures when you're done!
  • 15 years ago
    Brandy- Wow, it seems to have come to you so easy! I agree that the TV wall is too plain. As is the bare wall behind the sofa. I'm struggling with color right now but grey sounds like it will really brighten up the room.

    I hate that brick fireplace. If I can afford a nice wooden surround with sand colored tiles, I'm gonna go that route. The entertainment console beneath the TV may also have to go to help the room feel less cluttered. But its holding so much equipment and hiding a lot of wire. Its also in perfect condition (1 year old). I may have to keep it.



    Thanks for all your help.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    I agree with making the walls white. Not off white but a crisp white so it stands out as a color itself and looks intentional. You might want to consider a black and white color scheme with shots of color here and there from accessories, but I would definitely change the red and yellow with something lighter and brighter-White, gray, or gray/blue walls
  • 15 years ago
    i noticed the high chair right away--i think whatever you do, it needs to be child safe, you know? especially the fireplace and window treatments.
    also, if i lived there i would have a migraine with the color on the walls :)
    i'm sorry :) i wouldn't hang kitchenwares because they would collect dust in my house, and it seems like it would detract from what you have the fan for? does that make sense? and then i'm wondering about your traffic pattern. if the table is in the center then you are always walking around it--maybe it should be by the wall? or perhaps a rectangular table would fit better.
  • 15 years ago
    I appreciate your comments. The pans are used too regularly to collect dust and doesnt distract the flow of air. If thats what your implying. The table placement is an issue. There are double doors leading to the back yard to the left and the pantry door is to the right. When entering the family room most pass by between the pantry door and the table. The house really needs another 2' in depth. We had a smaller table but this size better suits our family .
  • 15 years ago
    I went with a grey called silver tradition. A couple coats later brings us to this. The gold colored wall is going to become a sage color. Buying the curtains tomorrow. Thanks to all.
  • 15 years ago
    I forgot to add how much we all love this color
  • 15 years ago
    Amazing difference...great job! Can't wait to see it with the curtains!
  • 15 years ago
    Thanks.
  • 15 years ago
    it looks much more peaceful and cozy. enjoy!
  • 15 years ago
    Thanks Mouse. And thanks for your tip earlier about the traffic pattern. We moved the table to the left (towards the glass doors) to create a clear path to the family room. We found that it centers nicely right under the ceiling fan as well. I'm amazed at how we never noticed some of these little things that make a big difference.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    What a great transformation so far. As I'm looking at the fireplace one thought is to move down the color scale one shade darker than the walls and choose a glossy finish to create a clean and contemporary focal point in the room. Masonry paint can be mixed in any color. The idea is to create a smooth transition as the eye moves around the room.
  • 15 years ago
    Painting the fire place would be fast and easier then the tile project I was going to start. I wasn't crazy about the idea of painting it white or black but going with a darker shade of grey would work well- Thanks. Helps with my budget too :-) as we decided to replace the carpet with a light color pattern carpet. Cost more but looks much better. Plus we had an unexpected $800 auto repair bill :-(
  • 15 years ago
    been there!!! darn those cars!!! :) it's always somethin'!!!
    it's sort of how i got new windows--they were literally falling out..and then?
    my kitchen ceiling crashed. so i know how you feel :)