Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksugerman

What color to paint front door?

ksugerman
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Want to repaint the front door. We are in the process of updating our overgrown landscaping but am ready for a new door color. Plan to keep existing shutters and hardware for the time being. Thank you!

Comments (19)

• ksugerman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you!

• acm
    7 years ago

Agree with that, or a loden green could be nice, or a steely blue...

• jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    Go white, or go vermillion. You need a more orangey red to better co-ordinate with the stone. Treat the door, sidelights, and moulding as a unit for a more dramatic look. Leave the shutters as they are.
  • jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    You might even carry the colour up to the wall above the porch roof. The current stone/stucco arrangement in that central area looks a little jigsaw puzzleish.
  • ksugerman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for your feedback. So what color would you recommend for the door and carrying it up above? I'm thinking red, blue or green wouldn't be appropriate. Thanks
  • flopsycat1
    7 years ago

I would paint the door and sidelights the same color. Black looks great against a stone facade.

• acm
    7 years ago

I don't understand "carrying it up above" -- all there really is is the window frame, and I think you want those consistent. Anyway, here are some doors...

• flopsycat1
    7 years ago

And consider painting the entry light fixtures black to stand out against the stonework.

• chloebud
    7 years ago

Black would be great!

• ksugerman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks so much for all the helpful feedback and photos. I am visual so that really helps! I agree, not sure what it means to "carry the color up" but welcome input. Your feedback has been really helpful and has helped me see things from a different perspective. Thanks!
  • geroudecor
    7 years ago

I think a very deep wine color, bordeaux, to be more precise. From a distance, it looks almost black. In my opinion it would look incredible. Yes, paint the light fixtures black. Good Luck

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would select the matching color from the shutters for the front door, however, the wall color needs an adjustment. It's too peach. A color closer to the stone would enhance the appearance. Also the shrubs need a major pruning.

• Diane
    7 years ago
    Black looks really nice, agree to also paint your lights black
  • ksugerman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Beverly. Yes, I agree. The landscaping needs more than a pruning. We also would like to repaint the stucco. Unfortunately these projects aren't in our current budget. I'm trying to make an improvement now which would have a positive impact on the exterior without being too costly. In the future, I will be interested in landscape ideas and stucco paint color for the exterior. Thanks!
  • Constine
    7 years ago
    After looking at the photo mock-ups above, I would suggest white for door and side windows. A lighter shade will make it look more welcoming.
  • renee kent
    7 years ago

I think "carrying the color up" may refer to that white framed window above the door or the area around it. Perhaps if that window had brown shutters and the little trim around your sidelights were brown it would pull the top and bottom together. Then whatever color your choose for your door and those side panels--and prior suggestions were nice--would work.

• Jessica Clark
    7 years ago

I like the look of the black door

• Dallas Bonilla
    7 years ago

I think a brighter red than you have now would look great!