Software
Houzz Logo Print
k9fancy

HOT MESS Guest Bedroom Please help!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

OK dear Houzzers. You really helped me out before. My home is small,especially the bedrooms. You came thru on my living room. The China cabinet is 1 of 3 that I have. My big one was in the living room. I packed away 200 poodles figurines for that room. I really have no space except for the Kitchen! To put this China cabinet in. I took a big gold mirror down from over the bed. Will use in the bathroom or sell. I do like my furniture, I know it's dated. The bed is queen size. I am willing to change bedding. Any suggestions for this place is appreciated. Yes the fake plant is going.

Now I have already taken out and donated a fake trees and a quilt rack. I will give it what ever it takes to have breathing room.. thanks in advance.

I know if Hoarders see this post they will knock on my door. The big black plastic bag on floor is going to thrift store.the room is tiny 11 by 12


Comments (112)

  • 10 years ago

    The flowery one seemed to echo fabric puffs in shades / the other had the what would you say?.... tiny pattern and elegant stitching within...

    Nancy thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Wow, wow, wow. Anything I say here is going to sound cruel and I truly don't want to be because I'm sure you're a very sweet person. If you only end up doing one thing then I would get new, nicer bedding including new bed pillows. If guest rooms should be anything they should be clean, and there is no way old dated bedding is ever going to look or feel clean.

    Nancy thanked cpaul1
  • 10 years ago

    cpaul1, not cruel at all. The sheets and pillowcases are new, the spread is not.

    I like the look. I think the dog art is okay because it is a reflection of the OP. It is not coming from left field.

    Nancy thanked Kathi Steele
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    My goodness you are one busy gal...I need a vacay just watching you. Replace the lamp shades of possible...just the shades. Something simple. I really think you should keep your bedding neutral but throw in those dog pillows. That would be quite cheeky and fun and so you. Do you need the little dresser? Can it fit in closet if you do? Can bookcase go where little dresser is currently?


    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info


    Lake House · More Info


    The Olivers House · More Info

    Nancy thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 10 years ago

    I deleted mine cause a bit embarrassed... ya see my style is less 'girlfriend' straight familiar talk, and more 'my eyes see this' .... both are good. You just bought the lampshades...

    Nancy thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Cpaul1 if you read my post.None of the bedding is staying. I am selling bedding sets on line now. Just put there to take pictures. I have several sets. Thinking maybe mostly white touches of red and black.

    I thought I loved the lamps 2 months ago when I bought them from Pier I. Paid a lot. Yes now I see the shades are not what I need. Going to find bedding first. I am going to use my dog pillow the black and white one at least.

    I have moved furniture for a solid week. By myself. Sold bedding, replaced to sell the next set. I am tired, but not stopping. I want it simple in there and clean lines. With a touch of whimsey.

  • 10 years ago

    Everdebz, don't delete. It does not offend. Sometimes I need straight talk, or maybe even a brick in the head. I follow you, love your posts. May I ask where in CA you live?

  • 10 years ago

    Flo, ever, Kathi and all. Yes the bedding is just for now. I do collect linen. Use a short time then purge. I used to sell quilts for a quilter friend, so I have lots of quilts selling them too. Yes I sold real estate for 13 years and really worked 7 days a week. I love selling. It is in my blood, for sure. We have a neighborhood Facebook page and people flock to it. They all look for my posts because I sell reasonable. I did have the bed in the corner but it didn't work out. I do want the luxury hotel look. Just need to think it thru. Simple is good.

  • 10 years ago

    The China is only 12 inches deep the chest is 17.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I meant can curio go between closet doors and entrance door? Chest in closet?

    Nancy thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Nancy, brick / a / brac ... ha. I sent you a message....

    Nancy thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Everdebz I am still learning this site. Where is the message

  • 10 years ago

    Blue booby. I will see if dresser will fit in closet. Good idea. I do have pictures in the closet. In real life it is not too bad in there. But I like the closet idea. Thanks. I am going to rest first.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Nancy, you are doing great and amazing progress! Outrunning some "commenters" for sure. I like your curio and I like it there. On the other wall I think it is too tall but you know better than eye. lol. I think you are home free. Just a few more tweaks. I love your energy and positive attitude! Well done!
    Nancy thanked Flo Mangan
  • 10 years ago

    Nancy, houzz.com upper right [should be] click Your Houzz.

    At left click: Inbox / Sent / All messages.....

    Nancy thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I get the feeling I may have missed something or offended some one based of comments after mine. Not intentional. Best of luck Nancy.

    Nancy thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 10 years ago

    Nancy, I didn't 'read good' cause I read you placed photographed bedding on craig's etc.. but still discussed it - wha? but I thought just maybe you still considered it? it's alright we all hope....

    Nancy thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Blue Booby, you certainly didn't offend me. I love you and Flo and Everdebz helping me out. No I am purging my linen closet. Here are the inspiration pieces for my bedroom. I think good after naps! I want to do white with some red and black. Here are pictures of what I am going with. Sorry for light reflection,


  • 10 years ago

    Going shopping tomorrow looking for bedspread, comforter in white, with some black and red. See my inspiration pieces. What do you gals think, guys too.?

  • 10 years ago
    Hi Nancy. You are a Jewell and such a delight to watch declutter and arrange your home. I really don't have any idea what type of bedding you are searching for, but I have a suggestion. In our guest room I have a clean and simple look with hotel collection duvet bedding. I got mine at overstock.com and have had many complements. I am attaching a couple of pics. Maybe using a white and black with your red and black dog pictures ( which I love) and add some red pillows with your dog one. Looking forward to seeing your new bedroom. Mine is white and navy with small red and yellow accents.
    Nancy thanked marrymaid
  • 10 years ago

    tagan I love the black and white one. I a going shopping and if I don't find something may order this. I want simple. Thanks for following. I am at a standstill till I get my new bedding. The pictures of the 3 dogs really hit as my inspiration piece. I have red in other areas of my home, including a red leather sofa. Thanks


  • 10 years ago

    who hoo. I am so excited to shop. I am going to overstock to ck. out everything just in case I dont fnd the stores rewarding tomorrow.


  • 10 years ago
    Have fun today shopping. If you decide on the black and white, maybe a couple of red euro pillows would add some color?
    Nancy thanked marrymaid
  • 10 years ago

    Woohoo! Another project! I am addicted to watching your home evolve! Just wish this side didn't make me scroll down to get to the latest! Can't wait to see more pics! One thing I think would really update it would be to eliminate the sheer window treatment.... especially if there is a shade behind it. Would really open up the room from what I am seeing! Keep on keeping on Nancy!

    Nancy thanked Cynthia Caponi
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Cynthia. If you are on iPad. Scroll til you get to comments then. Double tap on right side of screen. Voila, moves you to end of comment section!
    Nancy thanked Flo Mangan
  • 10 years ago
    Well THAT info saves me a ton of time. Thanks Flo!
    Nancy thanked Cynthia Caponi
  • 10 years ago

    The guest room curio looks so much better, and the dogs are so much easier to appreciate!

    Nancy thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Someone else gave me close to that tip, and after trial and error I found that method. Glad to help. Big pain for sure! Especially on these long threads. I agree on the curio and how much better your collection looks. Great job. You are an amazing woman for sure!

    Nancy thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    When dealing with a small space such as this, your goal should be to get as much functionality out of it as possible. Installing a wall bed, aka a Murphy bed, is one of the easiest ways to introduce multiple purposes into a space.

    Traditional Bedroom · More Info

    With a wall bed, that barely used extra room is a guest bedroom when you need it, and a home office/craft room/whatever you want when you don't.

    Murphy Beds · More Info

    This way, the main focus of the room can be on your collections and home decor, vs. a cluttered bed.

    Modern Rendering · More Info

    If you're curious about how a wall bed could work in your room, we offer FREE in-home design consultations (we find that it helps when we can understand your specific needs in detail)

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Everyone. I was caring for sick hubby today. But I did go to the ACS thrift store and what to my roving eyes did appear? But The comforter set by Vera Wang called tea Garden. Retail 209. On sale I got it for 34. Including the throw Pillow. It is dark taupe brown and black. I am going to be putting it on after a week snack. White with red and black will be better, but at this price is couldn't go wrong. After all I can keep on a month and sell for the 35. I Paid! Be right back.

  • 10 years ago

    ... were there tiny reindeer? oh, dogs, sorry. ;-) Great find if you like it.... gotta go pick up groceries.... see ya!

    Nancy thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Nice buy on that Tea Garden set! I know how hard it is to declutter. Just an idea: take pictures of your collectables before you get rid of them. You might enjoy looking at pictures later and won't miss your things so much.

    Nancy thanked sheriss
  • 10 years ago

    Some of my collection is of value. Plus it only took 3 small boxes to store. I will eventually get rid of most. I sold so many comforters and linens that I really made space. The tea garden set is dark, but a joy after all of the shabby chic etc. I am taking pictures with and without a red rug.I may need to remove the 2 poodle pictures from the window wall. I will see comments first. I need to find some curtains, or I have a red valance. They say they are dates. I value everyone's opinions. Please you will never offend me. I know everyone is trying to help.I may switch out the China and dresser.


  • 10 years ago
    Wow, wow and WOW! That room is amazing now! When can we come for a visit! LOL. It looks so sophisticated now!!! You inspire me!
    Nancy thanked Cynthia Caponi
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you Cynthia Caponi. I am really happy with it. The price was so right. I loved it at any price. Still need better curtains. A little beefier.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Flo, thanks to you and everyone I am inspired. I am going to paint the curtain rod oil rubbed bronze and get different curtains. Do you think they would look good 95 in instead of 84 in. I love the vera wang. Wish the thrift store had them too, lol.

  • 10 years ago

    Take the curtains floor to ceiling as shown here. You may have to order online to get the longer lengths, but worth it to complete your lovely guest room.

    Nancy thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but I ALWAYS prefer the look of duvet with a fresh crisp duvet cover, to a bedspread covered bed. Looks better, feels better. Also more convenient since you don't have to take off/put back on the bedspread every day.
    And probably most importantly, the duvet cover will be cleaned between uses. Bedspreads? Not so much. (Or at least that's what I recall. I've been a duvet devotee for at least 35 years)
    Nancy thanked drdeb1234
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Love it! Wonderful. Your lamps actually look great. The dark pillows with ruffles just make them work! Genius. Meant to be! Tell Hubby get better. I think we wore him out! lol. I think the darker color is really the ticket. Great job. I would go for long drapes. Almost always looks better.
    Nancy thanked Flo Mangan
  • 10 years ago

    Nice! You have been a whirlwind of activity and all your hard work is paying off. I like your plan for oil rubbed bronze. Deco is right about the length of curtains. Do you have anything in mind?

    Nancy thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 10 years ago

    I am going drapery hunting in the next day or so. I found vera wang on line, but not thrift store prices, lol. I may have to splurge. I really loved this set. I have helped a few people out and this was like my getting it payed forward. I feel so blessed.

    I do like duvet covers, but this is in an unused guest room. If shades come my way will get them. Oh I am so happy for everyone helping me.

    MY Office is a mess had on once before. I don't know computer stuff about wireless Internet access etc. May try it again.

    I did put the red rug down, but didn't like it. It is a 4 by 6, so not big enough. Thanks guys.


    The guest bath is tiny, but next.


  • 10 years ago

    Nancy, Nancy, Nancy. It looks amazing!! I love the dark! As Flo says, it really pulls it all together! I am not a fan of lots of wall space above open curtains, but if it is what you like, I am sure it will look wonderful!

    GREAT JOB!!!!

    Nancy thanked Kathi Steele
  • 10 years ago

    Me too me like. It's a dusty purple plummy? which is always nice with tone of lamp base, shade too.... woo hoo!

    Nancy thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Kathi Steele, thanks. I have taken the sheers down. Going to do the floor to ceiling draperies.

  • 10 years ago

    Going with the drapes as per decoenthusiaste shows in her drawing. I need 96 in. Spraying the light curtain rod oil rubbed bronze.

  • 10 years ago

    Such a sweet room, Nancy! I've been following along and love the transformation ... I hope you're as pleased as it is pleasing for us!

    Nancy thanked Amyzing
  • 10 years ago
    Nancy
    You did an amazing transformation with your guestroom. It looks inviting and comfortable. You should be proud.
    Nancy thanked snied99
  • 10 years ago

    Wow!

    Nancy thanked mramsey
  • 10 years ago

    **** hands clapping**** looks great! simple fixes ( tho time consuming) really pulled it together!!

    Nancy thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks downby and mramsey.Amy and Snied too. I still need the 96 inch drapes for floor to ceiling. I ordered 2 European shams from Ebay today that are the Vera Wang Tea Garden. If anyone finds VERA WANG TEA GARDEN DRAPERIES ONLINE PLEASE SEND LINK TO ME. I cant find. It was from 2014.


Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio