Software
Houzz Logo Print
chaitu_24

Need Help with picking colors for a well lit high ceiling living area

10 years ago

Hi - Just bought this home and would like to change the colors to brighten up and get a fresher look. Photos look great but the blue seems to dull the home overall. Leaning towards grey tones (heard a lot about Revere Pewter and edge comb grey from BM). Attached are pictures of the formal living, casual living and kitchen. Please suggest colors. We will be outsourcing the job (first time homeowners;not savvy about painting it ourselves for now..:))

Please note the home is empty right now and we are yet to furnish it. My idea is to pick the paints first and then work with the furniture and drapes after.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I am telling you, in the main living area, use BM Bruton White from their Williamsburg Collection of colors. It is the perfect neutral. It is soft and warm and cool...it's stunning.

    What is the climate in your part of the country?

  • 10 years ago

    This is in NC. So pretty bright and sunny days most part of the year I would say. I am new to the area too. Moved from NY and yet to live through all 4 seasons in NC.

    Thanks for the color suggestion. Will check it out.

  • 10 years ago

    My broker just did her new build with high ceilings in the Bruton White. It's soooooo gorgeous.

    As for the kitchen and bedroom, how do you want to feel when you are in each room?

  • 10 years ago

    Given the bedroom is west ended and gets a lot of afternoon sun, we like for it to be warm in an earthy tone (I mention earthy for Feng Shui reasons). As for the kitchen, I am not sure. Right now, we dont have the budget to redo the cabinets. A color that goes well with the current cabinets and the open living area color (lets say Bruton white) should work. But again nothing too dark or contrasting; looking for a cooler shade since the kitchen doesnt get that much of light but the breakfast area does.

  • 10 years ago

    I would use a bit more of a saturated color in the bedroom since bedrooms generally are used at night and therefore use artificial light.

    Try a medium tan in the bedroom. Tan really glows in afternoon light and artificial light. It oozes luxury and warmth.

    My low-light living room has Lenox Tan in it and I absolutely love it. Also look at BM Sherwood tan, Quincy Tan..

    I would not go with a cool color in the kitchen. The cabinets are so warm.

    If it were my kitchen, I'd paint the walls in my wonderful BM Capitol White (also from their Williamsburg Collection - someone has a thread here now who just painted her kitchen Capitol White, a few threads down), and I'd paint the Island a saturated color, maybe a deep blue.

    I'm going to try to do some mockups. Not sure it will work with the blue on the walls there now. I'll give it a shot.

  • 10 years ago

    Wow...this is really helpful. Sorry I did not mention but for the bedroom, I am looking to paint only one accent wall (typically the wall against which the bed is placed). I will check tan. What do you think of BM Mexicana for the bedroom? Or do you think I could leave the walls alone and paint the tray ceiling instead?

    Also, what trim would go with Bruton white? Do you have any pictures of the project you mentioned earlier? Just so I see the trim in combination with BW.

    Thanks much

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    BM Mexicana

  • 10 years ago

    In the bedroom, I'd paint the whole room and the ceiling tray.

  • 10 years ago

    Ok. This is really helpful. Thanks a lot.