Software
Houzz Logo Print
bellediy

I'm going to become the contractor and remodel our kitchen

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I decided to remodel our kitchen and hired a contractor which in the process turned out to be very dishonest and disappointing and so we decided to Part ways.

Our kitchen cabinets were paid in full and although we're very late, did arrive and currently block a big part of our house .

So I'm feeling relived on one hand as we are starting fresh minus the negativity our old contractor brought in and on the other hand a bit pressure to move forward with our remodel and stated to look for contractors.

making long story short, to save a lot of money we decided that it's best if I'll become the contractor and hire all the professional needed as well as get permits.

The professionals we need are: Demolition team, installer, Plummer and an electrician.

For the most part I understand the process of the Reno even though it's a first for me but I wanted to get an advice or tips on things you think I should know, be aware of or expect of this process.

Ill keep you posted as to my Reno and upload pictures:)

Comments (25)

  • 10 years ago

    Have you done any training, on how to get permits, etc? Are you familiar with the codes in your area?

    bellediy thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    Good luck! It will be worth it in the long run! Get everything in writing and be very clear on all your expectations. Never assume. And never trust a verbal quote. Pay for as little as possible up front and make sure it's done correctly before you finalize payment. Research the permit process and requirements for your city. When in doubt ask them! For the most part the inspectors are on your side - you both want it done safely and correctly.
    bellediy thanked bekahjoy2015
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you both! I agree with you!!


    I've never done any training but I'm a fast learner and I understand the process in which things should take place as far as which professional should come in at any point of the renovation. ( I watched HGTV a lot ;)

    I also called our town and will sent all the permits they've asked. I've got each professional to fill out their form. I'm submitting it this Monday so it should take a week top to approve.


    Our Demo people that I've hired will take our existing kitchen down this coming Wednesday so I'll report how that goes... ( the plumber will arrive a day before to unplug water and gas related appliances to be on the safe side).

    we will be without a working kitchen for about a month.. There is a 19 days between the demo to the install of new cabinets but I scheduled it this way to give the electrician time to do what he needs once old kitchen is gone and get inspector after that. Bern that this is my first Reno, I want to give things enough time so if something goes wrong or someone doesn't show up, we have time to fix it ...






  • 10 years ago
    Take lots of pictures! Exciting (:
    bellediy thanked bekahjoy2015
  • 10 years ago

    When we finished our basement, I acted as our general contractor to save money! I ended up hiring at least half a dozen trades..... all this was new to me. It ended up being a great success. The basement turned out really nice and the process went very smoothly. I asked around a lot....family, friends.....and rec'd recommendations for each individual trade. We have something called homestars where I live which helped me find reviews for various trades. I know a basement is less intimidating then a kitchen but it is doable and you will save a great deal of money. Best of Luck!!

    bellediy thanked shushe123
  • 10 years ago

    I'll take some pictures and share with you!! Stefanie, that service sounds good and I'm happy to hear that it all turned up great! A basement is a big project too! More power to you!

  • 10 years ago

    When looking for professionals, I actually searched online for reviews on various websites as well as took the initiative and searched on our court system public records for any law suits they might have. After a previous experience I had with a contractor that turned out to be dishonest and had lots of law suits against him I thought it would be a good thing to check in advance! Better safe than sorry I supposed.

  • 10 years ago

    hello everyone, so its been a few weeks and the demo went smooth and I've ended up needing to repair the floor as the original cabinets weren't install on wood floor but all went well and I've got a professional to repair the floor and I will stain the floor myself.


    The instal of cabinet will start tomorrow so thats very exciting!! I'll send some pictures.


    I needed advice regarding the lighting in the kitchen. we are buying 2 crystal chandeliers for the island and have a dining table right next to it and I wasn't sure if I needed to match the lighting above the table to the island lights. Any thoughts?

    This is the light fixture above island:

    http://www.wayfair.com/Carondelet-4-Light-Crystal-Chandelier-HOHN4755-HOHN4755.html

  • 10 years ago

    I advise against difficult to clean pendant lights in kitchens.

    bellediy thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you! I'll see when they arrive this Friday how challenging they are..

  • 9 years ago

    Hello everyone, it's been over a month but I wanted to update you and say that I finished renovating my kitchen after a lot of hard work, sleepless nights but it was worth it!! Learned a lot in the process. And here is the before and after . Thank you all for your advice !!


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Looks great! Congrats on your new space!

  • 9 years ago

    love the backsplash!! Can you provide info...quartz??

  • 9 years ago

    was it very costly??

  • 9 years ago

    Wow that was a huge waste of time and money. Kitchen looked better before. Just needed better lighting.

  • 9 years ago
    Great job. I hope you really enjoy your new kitchen!
    bellediy thanked sandi125
  • 9 years ago

    Shushe123 thank you and the backsplash is a 2cm venato style from quartz master ( in NJ) . We needed 2 slabs for backsplash and 2 for countertop and island so together with fabrication it was around $12,000. Not cheap but we love it and it really changes the feel of the kitchen completely.

  • 9 years ago

    Sandi125 thank you! I can't tell you enough how it made our whole space looks bigger and more importantly brighter. I love being in that space so much I even cook and bake more ;)

  • 9 years ago

    The updated kitchen looks really nice.

    Enjoy your new space.

    bellediy thanked Architectural Notice
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    good luck!

    bellediy thanked Joni Koenig Interiors
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!
    bellediy thanked Drawer Essentials
  • 9 years ago

    I found another picture from a different engle of the new kitchen before we stained the floors...

  • 9 years ago


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Kudos to you! The kitchen looks amazing

    bellediy thanked Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC