Software
Houzz Logo Print
trieste50

Remodel or Not?

10 years ago

Just bought a new (old) house and am in disagreement with my husband. Do you think this laundry room needs to be remodeled? Estimated cost $12k assumes keeping the washer/dryer, replacing the cabinets and floor. The room is fully functional. FYI, we don't have a dog and will use that corner to hold brooms/vacuum, etc.

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago

    I would judge that by what the REST of the house looks like including your furnishings.

    If everything else is just perfect then you might consider re-doing the laundry but not before.


    trieste50 thanked leelee
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would like to ask from whom did you get the $12,000.00 quote?

    That is absurd!

    Plumbing is there. Using the washer/dryer. A new floor; new cabinets and a counter top cost that much?

    Try IKEA.


    3HR · More Info

    trieste50 thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    I got hard quotes from Home Depot, Lowes and Menards. They are all coming in at about the same cost. The selections are on the lower end of the options, simple painted engineered cabinets, formica countertops, vinyl flooring. Sink and faucet were about $140 each at Lowes. I'm always shocked at the cost of remodeling! Not like HGTV at all!!!!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Goodness, this room doesn't need a renovation. If you want to get a sharper look, change out the balloon shades for crisp roman shades in black and white. Get a larger indoor/outdoor rug in black and white. Or, if that's a vinyl floor, replace with black and white vinyl tiles/flooring. Order a wider builder grade cabinet for the wall where your sign and laundry basket are. Match the yellow. Get really nice black cabinet hardware. Have a carpenter install matching white formica. Add a real piece of art in bold black and white and and call it done!

    trieste50 thanked housegal200
  • 10 years ago
    No but maybe new curtains too frilly for the cabinets
    trieste50 thanked Danielle Black
  • 10 years ago

    It looks serviceable to me.

    trieste50 thanked Kris Mays
  • 10 years ago

    First get a quote from Ikea. I think if you are keeping all of the appliances, you should be able to spend $2-3000 on new cabinets and a counter top. But the room would be last on my list if there are other rooms that need work. Good luck!

    trieste50 thanked R S
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Yes, the room needs help ultimately, and no, I would not spend $12,000 on it. It looks like the main thing it needs is new cabinets. Like with any new house, you need to prioritize what needs to be done and put a budget and a timeline together to get it all done.

    trieste50 thanked cpaul1
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, the laundry looks a bit dated. No, you don't "need" to remodel it. You might "want" to remodel it - but only if you've got loose change to the amount of 12 grand to pay for it and nothing else you'd rather spend the money on. Personally, I'd be looking for new furniture, or a good painting, or a nice snazzy little car, or maybe a month in Paris, first.

    trieste50 thanked jmm1837
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments. They helped the discussion between my husband and me and led to the decision to hold off for now. Much appreciated!

  • 10 years ago

    It sure wouldn't be my first priority. Not for that price.

    trieste50 thanked auntthelma
  • 10 years ago

    Great! Here are some yellow laundry room cabinets with black hardware--very sharp looking. I like the black formica counters and white and black floor.

    trieste50 thanked housegal200
  • 10 years ago

    That does look nice! I've been brainstorming how the space could be improved without the major expense. I like your ideas!

  • 10 years ago

    We had a similar issue. Redid the kitchen - down to the studs, new subfloor, ceiling, plumbing, electric, everything. The adjacent laundry room/butlers' pantry was in nasty condition, but it isn't as important to our everyday lifestyle. So we paid through the nose for the pros to do the kitchen, then we did the butlers' pantry ourselves. Painted the horrible cabinets, applied leftover floor tiles from the kitchen to the ugly counter top, added a couple shelves, laid the floor tiles directly over whatever was there.

    Not as fancy or perfect as the kitchen, but clean.

    trieste50 thanked auntthelma
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    A black formica counter wouldn't cost that much, nor would the black hardware or a stock cabinet you paint to match.

    trieste50 thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would definately remodel in your own timeline. I don't think pricing is out of line depending on scope of work.

    trieste50 thanked R G MILLER (YBC)
  • 10 years ago

    The cabinets may be dated, but it's a really nice laundry room...I love the set up and the little corner desk... I would just decorate the heck out of it...


    trieste50 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Are you lucky to have a large, sunny laundry room with lots of storage! Now all you need is a dog to utilize the pet washing station. I'd just ditch the balloon shades and move on to another project.

    trieste50 thanked flopsycat1