Software
Houzz Logo Print
sapirm

Can anyone recommend a good hood for a Wolf range that is reasonable?

10 years ago

I am about to buy a Wolf 36 6 burner range for the first time. It's expensive, and I wonder if I have to buy a Wolf hood and blower, too. Does anyone have experience with hoods they could recommend?

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    What size and CFM are you looking for? We have an unused hood that we had put together and can't use. Geoff

  • 10 years ago

    It's for a Wolf 36" cook range.


  • 10 years ago

    I learned from reading posts (especially from Kas) on this forum that your hood should be 6 inches wider that your range and a depth enough to cover completely the front burners. I have a 600 CFM canopy style hood over a 30 inch Wolf gas range. I learned from the various post not to go cheap on a range hood....meaning get what is needed to capture smoke and grease that fits the way you cook. Do you do a lot of searing or use a Wok often?

  • 10 years ago

    I will probably end up getting the WOLF hood but now have to figure out about outside or inside fan.

  • 10 years ago

    Search for posts using Kas as a keyword. Or he may see this post and respond to it. He usually comments on most posts where people need help with range hoods. He helped me with making a decision about an internal versus an inline fan. I ended up selecting an internal fan versus an inline fan because I didn't have enough duct length that is required for use of an inline fan. I didn't consider the external roof fan because of aesthetics. My range is on a wall that faces the main entrance into my subdivision. The roof fan would take away the curb appeal and my neighbors would have had a fit. My contractor suggested rerouting the duct to the back side of the house. It was so expensive that my husband and I decided against it.

  • 10 years ago

    The internal fan is not as noisy as I thought it would be.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks. Was it a Wolf Hood and Fan/Blower?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    It does not have to be a Wolf hood and blower just because the range is made by Wolf. Capture and containment performance, hood aesthetics, and system cost should be the primary considerations in hood and blower selection.

    Alternatively, Wolf hoods are supplied with stick-on emblems, so one could use a Wolf hood and keep it incognito if desired. Wolf hoods may prove optimal in some cases when the range or cooktop is not made by Wolf.

    However, if the hood is made by Wolf, using a Wolf blower (likely made by Broan/NuTone) chosen from the table at the back of the Wolf Design Guide will avoid any worries about compatibility.

    The selection of which hood to use (or more generally what the hood performance parameters should be) can be informed by the many advice comments on this forum provided by myself and many others, taking into account the specific limitations of the kitchen layout and cook's needs, and of the necessary trades among performance, aesthetics, and cost.

    One should not be surprised to find that the research needed to wisely choose the kitchen ventilation components exceeds that needed to select the range it is to be used with. For the higher CFM performance region, the ventilation system installed cost may exceed the cost of the range as well, including the required make-up air supply components.

    kas