Software
Houzz Logo Print
dexters2012

Bathroom Update Help!!

We are needing some inexpensive bathroom updating ideas. We cannot afford to tear out tile, etc. I have seen many posts where tile is painted. We do have plans for a new double sink vanity & new flooring.
Any suggestions!?!

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    painting tile isn't something I would do 1 in a bathroom over time it will flake off or peel period have done it before.. tile that might on every wall is out date for a more modern day look I would tear out tile and buy bead board and replace the tile or you could buy panel boards and do false shiplap.. options are endless.. depends on what your style is without knowing that tho I couldn't tell you what I would do to your bathroom..
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions. I would definitely say we have a more contemporary or eclectic style.
    Like most homeowners, we bought the house with the intent to update several things & unfortunately this bathroom, which happens to be our kids, took the back burner.
    We are planning to put our house on the market by the first of the year. With that said, we are wanting to give that bathroom a more updated, buyer friendly look.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    without tearing out the tile it would be hard to update the bathroom.. painting it would work to a certain extent. in my opinion I would redo floors redo walls may be flatten the walls out completly BC its a smaller bathroom will make it look a little bigger but put new floor maybe plank style false wooden tile and for vanity area definitely replace with a cabinet.. pick a light color paint to brighten the room. cabinets darker maybe dark gray.. in the sink area from counter top to ceiling wall to wall one bug mirror I would focus on making the bathroom look bigger.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    big* not bug lol
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    wow just realize the is a cabinet there its so dark hardly didn't see it.. that said, I wouldn't replace the cabinet just paint it.. if your going to sell.. you don't have to spend a tone you will be amazed in what paint can do to a room
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    To Southern Cotton Design:

    Thanks again for your suggestions! I know the tile definitely shows it's age and there isn't a whole lot that can make it look any better lol. I guess I was in hopes there was a magical solution. Just don't wanna put too much $ into it.
    As far as flooring goes, we have a faux wood tile that we are planning to put down. We used it in our downstairs bathroom as well.
    The cabinet itself isn't too bad, but the vanity top is super dated like the rest of the tile and in my opinion has to go.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    To Marci4:

    Thank you so much for your recommendations! It is shared by 3 kids, so it definitely needs some de cluttering and organization.
    Yes, the eye sores that appear to be old towel bar holes are just that. We definitely have plans to fill them and make then less of an eye sore.
    Definitely agree on window treatment and shower curtain as well!
  • 10 years ago

    Which parts of the tile are cracked or damaged? Floor and sink counter?

  • 10 years ago

    How long is your vanity? I'm not sure it's long enough for a double sink. I would definitely paint it and look for a granite remnant that works with your tiles and add an undermount sink and new faucet. Updated hardware would help as well. I wouldn't paint your tile as it's quite neutral and inoffensive. As suggested above, a pretty roman shade, new shower curtain, and making sure the grout in your tub is impeccably clean are all you need to freshen this up. You should be able to do everything for less than $1,000.

  • 10 years ago
    Instead of 2 sinks I would put a long rectangular one, new faucets and counter, then paint the walls, not expensive but will update it.
  • 10 years ago
    Paint the walls and cabinet, replace the floors with larger tile and remove the window treatment.
  • 10 years ago

    Replace the shower curtain and teach your kids to keep it inside the tub and to one side. I would suggest white....then put white sheers on your bathroom window. Take away the full wastebasket....put it behind one door of your sink cabinet. Put the towel rack up under the window again and somehow patch the holes on the wall where the other rack was. Get some light blue rugs....one for in front of the shower and one for in front of the sink. As far as the clutter.....could you put baskets or bins inside the lower doors of your sink cabinet to hold these things? Oh, I would probably paint the sink cabinet white also. I see you are not using the soap holder or tooth brush holder.....are they built into the tile or or they removable? I know ours were built in but was able to take them out and put a tile in their place (found one under the back wall of the sink cabinet). Your light blue holders will look good with your light blue rugs.

  • 10 years ago

    Unless you live in a high end neighborhood, my inclination would be to do minimal work. Replace the missing towel bars with some nice chrome bars, and give everything a good coat of paint. Just before you list the house, scrub the hard surfaces with Barkeepers Friend, and finish up the tough parts with those magic erasers. You can buy little bleach pens that brighten up the grout, too. It's tedious work, but amazing how much better it can look, at least for awhile. Add white towels, shower curtain and window curtain/shade/blind and it will look fresh and clean. And talk to your realtor before you spend any money. Good luck with the sale!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    To apple_pie_order:

    The floor tiles are the ones that are cracked and/or damaged. The wall tiles are all in good shape.
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for info on which tiles are damaged. The wood look tile you used in another bathroom should be fine as replacement floor tile. Remember that this is a kids' bathroom when you talk to the agent. I'd leave the countertop tile alone, touch up the grout there with Grout Refresh ( or similar product in big box stores), paint the walls, put in new shower curtain, replace the towel bars, and add new towels for all three kids. Other than the floor tile, it would cost less than $200. I would not paint the vanity unless you are painting the other wood in the room. There really is not enough room for two sinks. Here's a link to a grout touch up project http://www.thecraftpatchblog.com/2015/01/how-to-make-dirty-bathroom-grout-look.html#.V8N09rWpkkg


  • 10 years ago

    If the countertop or floor tiles are the same as the wall tiles, you may be able to salvage enough of them to replace the tiles with the holes.

  • 6 years ago

    If it’s just to stage to sell, I would clean it and regrout until it’s bright again, work out something to make those old towel rod holes go away, change out the medicine cabinet for a better, flat mirror, paint upper walls something neutral, get larger bath mats (to cover tile floor more), buy new coordinating light-colored shower curtain, towels, and hang some fabulous art - it will make the space feel intentional and is much less polarizing than painting a color or wallpapering (which is what I would do to embrace the walk tile). Maybe paint the vanity, but I don’t think it’s 100% necessary (can’t tell from the pic). I’d just get rid of the window treatment entirely. Doesn’t look like it’s offering privacy.
    Good luck!

  • 6 years ago

    bcgillen711, this post is 3 years old. Hopefully, they've sold by now!