Software
Houzz Logo Print
jessagwen

Need help deciding on upholstery fabric

13 years ago
I have two vintage french bergère chairs, both of which need to be reupholstered. We just moved into a newly rehabbed 150-year-old house, and haven't finished decorating any rooms yet. I haven't decided on a particular style of decorating, but I'm attracted to the comfort and warmth of French country with a bit of Louis XIV glam splashed in. I would really like to add some color to my living room so I can start picking out accent pieces, rugs, etc.

I'm attaching pictures of the swatches. I want to do each chair in 2 coordinating fabrics, with one fabric on the cushions, and the other fabric on the back/base and accent pillows. Any input or even other fabric suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jessica

Comments (51)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm really liking the blue/owl.....not your every day fabric. I would never get tired of it.
    Silver Gray And Gold French Medallion Oushak Rug · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I like the first picture and I love your chairs. Better pick fabric that will hide dog hair. LOL, dog is cute, too.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    These fabrics are eye catchers, but easier to decorate around. I can envision cream molding, dark taupe walls, cream window panels, blue accent colors, beautiful wood furniture, and shots of bling throughout the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the dog on the couch!!
  • 13 years ago
    All of them are great combinations, but the 2nd and 4th choices particularly caught my eye. The contrast of bold print with a detailed/geometric print is appealing. You have to decide what accent color is your focus: orange/red, blue or yellow. If I were put to it, it would be #2.
  • 13 years ago
    There's something about #2 that is more "French." whatever that might be.
  • 13 years ago
    In my mind, #2 and #3 fit best with the description of what you're looking for, but personally I like #1 the most.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the blue owl one. Who makes this fabric?
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks so much for your feedback, everyone! It looks like #2 is a hit so far...the owl fabric is called Regal Wise Guy Jacquard Spring. I found it on fabric.com. This is my favorite fabric, but I worry that the owl might be too trendy? Although my grandmother decorated with owls in the 60s and 70s so who knows...such a hard decision!
  • 13 years ago
    Jessica, is there a 3rd coordinating fabric that goes with the owl one? You could use the owl one for pillows if you're unsure about using it on the chair itself.
  • 13 years ago
    That's a good idea, orangecamera. I don't have a swatch of coordinating fabric but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.
  • 13 years ago
    Does the blue scroll fabric from #3 look nice with the ones from #2?
  • 13 years ago
    I like the 4th combo!
  • 13 years ago
    Love #2, #4 is my second choice. #2 has a more traditional feel; I see it with warm wood and old brass. #4 I see with rubbed cream or Belgian rubbed grey and silver accessories. Both will look great with your floors.
  • 13 years ago
    Strictly my opinion, but the owl strikes me as timeless. It looks both Victorian and 1970s. the chairs would be attention-getters in this print, especially if you use it in front, but you could use it on the backs. Seems a waste, though. It's such a unique pattern. I don't see the others having quite the same impact.
  • 13 years ago
    the owl is my 2nd choice. the 1st would be to leave them as is ,using the 2 bird pillows shown.

    i would rethink the mantle. softer lines, older, more 'louis-ish' so to speak.
    love the look you have going, the table between these wonderful chairs is a great choice.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the orange ones- so vibrant but not sure the patterns go so well together as your other choices- fighting each other!!?
  • 13 years ago
    I love the 1st and 4th b/c they give the room a pop of color without going overboard...and if they get spilled on, you can't see it with the pattern.
  • 13 years ago
    Hands down #2 or #4
  • 13 years ago
    Love #2 and #3 together!!
  • 13 years ago
    Some ideas to either mix with your current choices, or with each other. The first one has both the orange and blue you like. The 2nd one is by the same manufacturer, and according to fabric.com is a "coordinate".
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with DIAspoton that the mantle needs to go. We're actually going to install built-in bookshelves under the windows next to the fireplace, convert the fireplace to gas, and re-do the mantle and fireplace tiles at that time.

    As for the fabric, I am deciding between #2 and #4...here is a fuller shot of #4, as I feel the swatch doesn't do it justice:
  • 13 years ago
    I still really like them both. The owl fabric does provide a lot of color choices, the other will be easier to "glam up". I'm interested to hear which one you choose!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm still liking 4. The others look a bit old fashioned to me and at nearly 60, that's hard because I'm pretty old fashioned already.
  • 13 years ago
    Ann, that makes sense, because people tell me I'm 33 going on 80 :)
  • 13 years ago
    like 4,the owl is very trendy but i think would get "old"quick and Ann i do not believe you are oldfashioned,you would not be a Houzzer if you were ;-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you do the chair in the floral and the pillow in the owl you can always change the pillow out when you are tired of it- have the back of the pillow done in a coordinating fabric and get dual purpose pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    Where did you get the couch....
  • 13 years ago
    The couch is from Pottery Barn.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I really like the first (orange) combination, but orange is a BIG trend right now. It does, however, have more of a funky French feel lol. My second choice would be the blues in #3 with the owl fabric included as an accent fabric. They look like they would all go together. Great house and great chairs and couch, Hope you'll post more photos!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    One more thought: your house looks like it is an Arts and Crafts style. The owl design would have been very in keeping with the natural themes of that time period and style.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The owl combo really pops
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I saw these exact chairs almost in Restoration Hardware but the mini version for children, it was adorable!
  • 13 years ago
    As for owls being trendy -- I just bought a condo in an 1880 home that has owls carved into a fireplace surround.
  • 13 years ago
    Jessica, did you end up choosing one? I enjoyed this discussion and wondered what the outcome was.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I love #4 and think it would be perfect for my dining room chairs. Can you please tell me who makes the fabric.
  • 13 years ago
    I think I'm going to go with the owls! It was a hard choice between the owls and #4. Think I am going to place the order today, and will post pics in a few weeks when the chairs are done. Everyone had such great feedback!! And lavind, the #4 fabric is Waverly Fishbowl Caviar and you can buy it here: http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-waverly-fabric-waverly-floral-botanical-fabric-waverly-fish-bowl-caviar.aspx
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    YAY!
  • 13 years ago
    Just placed the order-- fingers crossed that it's not a disaster. Side note: upholstery fabric is shockingly expensive!!
  • 13 years ago
    You made the right choice. I love the owls and the color that is in the fabrics. You are going to get loads of compliments on the chairs.
  • 13 years ago
    I figured it would be quite expensive - it looks like you have good/expensive taste :) I bet all four of your choices were costly! I can't wait to see the finished chairs.
  • 13 years ago
    The other fabric was somewhat reasonable, but the owl fabric cost $12 more per yard than the other fabrics. Sigh. Of course. I stupidly thought that finding vintage chairs and reupholstering them would be cheaper than buying new chairs. Oh well, it will be worth it in the end!
  • 13 years ago
    it will be,they will be unique..
  • 13 years ago
    Jessica, it WILL be worth it in the end, you will have very beautiful CUSTOM chairs, exactly the way you want them. Will you be doing the upholstery yourself or sending them out? I can't wait to see the finished product.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm going to send them out. I'd love to try to upholster some furniture myself one day, but these chairs would be too hard for me to do on my own.
  • 13 years ago
    Last person in…but if you want that French look and the chairs are going to cost you a bundle, consider something more like ticking…a good quality. Then use your fabulous fabric choices as accents.
    ROMABIO Limewash used by Stanley Dixon and Betty Burgess in Atlanta Home · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Judy, I love the look of ticking, and I did consider that...it's just that my sofa is very basic, and so is the rest of the room. I wanted to use the chairs to add some color and excitement. The chairs in that photo look gorgeous though!
  • 13 years ago
    Jessica, thanks for the info! Good luck with your chairs, I'm sure they'll be beautiful.
  • 13 years ago
    I know this is an old post . . . what is the name of the coordinating fabric that you used with the WiseGuy fabric?