Software
Houzz Logo Print
msmith_rtr

Help! Bermuda turning brown!

10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Over the course of the summer I have noticed that my Bermuda is browning each month and I'm not sure why this is happening. At first I thought it was due to the extremely hot weather here in Central Texas, however this area has received a lot of rain this month and my lawn is still brown. The first picture was taken on 6/19, the second picture was taken on 8/26, and the third picture was taken on 8/30. I'm not sure why this browning is happening. Can someone please provide some assistance? Is my mower out of alignment? Does my lawn have some sort of fungus?

Mower: McLane reel mower

mowing frequency: Every three days

watering: 1 inch once per week, except when it rains

Fertilizer: Every 30 days, May and June - 20lbs per 1K SqFt of Soybean Meal,

July and August - 1 lb per 1k Sqft of Lesco 39 -0-0

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago

    Have you ever done a soil sample? If not, I would recommend one from Logan Labs. Everything you are doing is correct. If something in your soil is off though, it will require extra effort. Does you Lesco fert contain iron? Do the area that are more brown seem to be more dry or compacted? Have you used any herbicides this season? What about neighbors and their routines (overspray? gardener at wrong home?)? Have you tried more water, depending on your soil, you may require more water than 1."

    I would try extra water on the side strip (pic #2) along with some Milorganite/Super Green/or other fertilizer with iron. You should get a response in 2-3 days if that's part of the issue.

    What type of bermuda? Height of cut?

  • 10 years ago

    Bump the mower up one notch when the cheetah print strikes like that. For whatever reason, those spots have too much stem & not enough leaf. It happens to me every year in late summer. Height of cut is a balancing act, but your consistent mowing schedule helps tremendously

  • 10 years ago

    Hi hawksster,

    The Bermuda I have is Tifway 419. My cutting height is 7/8 in.

    Reeljake, I was thinking that I was scalping the lawn, but I wasn't sure how to fix the problem. I think my McLane is set to the highest level at 7/8 in. Does anyone know how I can set my McLane to a higher cutting height?




  • 10 years ago

    You have to unbolt the front wheel assembly, then move it down 1 notch to the middle hole. Doing so will change all your cutting heights to 7/8" (notch 1), 1" (notch 2), 1-1/16" (notch 3), and 1-1/8" (notch 4).

    Using the 3rd (bottom) hole is for mowing at 1-1/2". You only can use adjustment slot #4 in that case.

  • 10 years ago

    Oh ok!! I see now. Currently, the highest setting is 7/8 in. By moving the front end down gives me a higher range of settings. Thanks so much Hawksster!!


  • 5 years ago

    @msmith_rtr This is happening to my bermuda that we just planted in November. Have you found any tips or tricks? How long will this last? We are on a month of it looking like your patchy pictures. We feel like we are in a losing battle!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Hi CJ Bero,

    My issue was scalping. In the spring and early summer, I can cut my Bermuda at 7/8 in. In August, I cannot continue to cut at 7/8 in. I need to raise the cutting height to 1 inch in order to avoid scalping. The below pic is my Bermuda at 7/8 inch in May.

    If your Bermuda is browning in the spring, you may be cutting too low. If you are using a rotary mower, then raise your cutting height.

    Lawn · More Info



  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much for your response. Our lawn was perfect from November to March and then the browning started in April. Our landscaper did seed it with ryegrass. We live in southern CA. We are using a reel mower which is maybe the issue too? Who knows!

  • 5 years ago

    This was our grass in January

  • 5 years ago

    CJ, next time you have a problem, please don't tag onto another topic which is 4 years old. In this case it wasn't so bad, but it's not uncommon to have to read through miles of prior posts only to find out that your new problem is nothing like the original problem. So now we have to get some more information from you.

    Where do you live? SoCal is not nearly enough information. Do you live in Heber? Do you live in Palmdale? Lake Arrowhead? Tustin? National City? Everywhere in SoCal has different conditions to deal with.

    What kind of grass do you have? You said bermuda. Is it TIF 419? Common? Something else?

    What is your watering schedule? How often and for how long do you water?

    How high/low do you mow and how often?

    Have you fertilized? When? What did you use? How many times this year?

    Have you used an herbicide? What and when?

    Have you used an insecticide? What and when?

  • 5 years ago

    @dchall_san_antonio you can just buzz off. I didn't ask you for help. I specifically asked @msmith_rtr for help and he had a very kind response. @@dchall_san_antonio Go pound sand!

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you. Unfortunately, @dchall_san_antonio has no tact. l have never been scolded for coming to Houzz to try to find help especially on older posts. I am thankful for those on Houzz that are kind, respectful, and willing to offer advice. I don’t work with arrogant jerks.

  • 5 years ago

    Arrogant jerk with no tact, and yet I'm still willing to help you through your issue if you answer the questions.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals