Software
Houzz Logo Print
kfrewert

Backsplash for a small kitchen

10 years ago

Countertops are black/gray/white speckled laminate simulating granite. Ours is an Arts and Crafts house in a country setting. Stove, microwave, and sink are black. Refrigerator is white. Cherry cabinets. Looking for backsplash suggestions. Also would appreciate thoughts on coordinating wall color. Thanks.


Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    you probably won't like the suggestions, but will be told to remove the 4" backsplash there now. You can't (well you can, but often looks out of place) put backsplash tile on top of that countertop splash. It's usually one or the other. Can you remove it? Are those new countertops?

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the comment but unfortunately it's all one piece.

  • 10 years ago

    well, like I said, you can do it, if you like it! It's your kitchen. what type of backsplash are you drawn to? glass? subway? slate? do you like hex tiles or penny rounds? traditional or modern? Look on Houzz, kitchens, small, and then search backsplash. then pick out ones you like and put them in an idea book. start from there.

    kfrewert thanked Beth H. :
  • 10 years ago
    I like this tile from Home Depot. It unites the colors of the cabinet and countertop.
  • 10 years ago

    i'm afraid those tones are off with your black/white counter. (it is black/white specks, right?) You need some a little less busy on your splash or it will compete w/the countertop. If those tops are staying for awhile, then something one color, or two-tone max, should be used. here is one similar to yours, with a similar tile,,,,

    I don't think it looks too bad, but it's not my fave. Plus, their kitchen is more open.

    if you like that type, then how about something in this color family?

    stained glass tiles

    and some natural tumbled stone (looks like silver travertine)

    kfrewert thanked Beth H. :
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Gorgeous cabinets. You didn't tell us what your floor is. I wanted to suggest that you search Kitchens, choosing Craftsman for the style, and entering "cherry cabinets" in the search box. You'll get lots of ideas.

    I love sage green with those cabinets for a wall color but I also just saw a butter yellow kitchen with cherry cabinets that was lovely. She used green as her backsplash. Dark counter.

    I'm attaching a photo of a white backsplash in a craftsman kitchen with cherry cabinets, just to show you that people do tile above a smaller ledge backsplash. :)

    Surfers End Kitchen · More Info

    kfrewert thanked barncatz
  • 10 years ago

    Kathi,,,I already advised the OP of that in the first comment. she wants to do a tile backsplash with what is there. Some people tile above it and it looks ok.

    kfrewert thanked Beth H. :
  • 10 years ago

    For your style of house I would recommend a simpler backsplash. I also am not seeing too many new kitchens use the small glass tiles - they can be hard to look at in large doses.

    Simple cream or white subway or similar.



    kfrewert thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago

    Barnkatz, the floor is light maple wood.

    Jhmarie and Beth, we agree simple is better. Possibly one color. We do like subway tiles.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I really like the brick subway tiles with your style of cabinets. A lighter color with your dark cabinets as in these examples below. The straight lines of your cabinets will go well with the lines of the brick


    or in a totally different direction, this arts and crafts style kitchen used a natural pebble backsplash and incorporated one of my original metal backsplash art pieces (they come in 19 different colors).

    hope this gives your some ideas

    Linda Paul, artist and designer