Software
Houzz Logo Print
lamaya2019

Please give me your opinion so my husband can stop holding this light

10 years ago
I love the Hoyne pendant from crate and barrel but wonder if it's too large for our space. What do you think wonderful Houzz community?

Comments (85)

  • 10 years ago

    From reading the comments I'd say you can't go wrong - some say it's too big, some say it's perfect.

    While I think it's a bit too large, my guess is that since you love it now, you'll love it more later. Whenever I've brought artwork home that seemed massively too large, living with it and getting used to it always made it seem smaller and perfect. I think that's in large part because it would never be in the way, unlike a chair that's too big. So I think you'll get used to it and love it.

  • 10 years ago
    Totally agree about the curtains. They came with the house and we haven't bothered replacing them. They do close completely.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Dude workin' with no steel toes? Fired from my job.

  • 10 years ago
    Yes I was thinking of swagging it so that it's centered over the table. There's a beam that runs in the right direction so we could anchor a hook directly in the beam.
  • 10 years ago

    Havingfun Lol :))))

  • 10 years ago

    Why not have it wired and move the table under it ?

  • 10 years ago
    It does look a bit oversize but after looking at the whole picture, I think if your curtains were longer and you hung them closer to the ceiling, it would make everything come together more and it won't look too oversize.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    stephaniemelamed

    What is the width of your table? Is your fixture 23.5" in diameter? (I see that Crate & Barrel has two different sizes available). Do you think 150 watt (that's the maximum recommended wattage) will be enough to illuminate this area? Also, are you ok with the fact that you'll have quite an *ornamental* ceiling, once it is lit? Just ask yourself this :)

  • 10 years ago

    Joseph Corlett! Dude standing on my dining room table with steel toed boots? Fired from my marriage!

  • 10 years ago

    hamma--150 watts is a heck of a lot of light from a central source, especially when it's on the ceiling (so unflattering the down-light). I'm hoping stephanie has a dimmer on that thing.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    hsharrington

    True! My problem with it (and I'm not the OP, obviously) would be that it's only one bulb, no matter what, and there's no softness to it as opposed to other types of fixtures (drum shades, etc, etc.), which could work differently for the dining area. You could use higher wattage fixture/bulbs with a softer application and it would probably provide more illumination.

    I think it would be better suited for a hallway or a stair landing. My 0.02 euros.

  • 10 years ago
    The table is 36" by 60" and yes this is the smallest of the two Hoyne pendants which if I remember has a 23" diameter. It will be wired but I have to swag it because we moved our table closer to the window (to maximize floor space for the kids) and the "outlet" (can't think of the proper name) is not directly above the table. It is on a dimmer, and since I like dim lighting I was thinking of using a 60watt soft white bulb. I agree the curtains should be hung higher. Maybe I should just do it, they're ikea curtains and match others on the main floor, they don't cost a fortune...
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, stephaniemelamed. Just do it! I think you will find that drapes hung at ceiling height will make a huge difference in that room. Spiff it right up and give your new chandelier some presence.

  • 10 years ago
    So would you put the rod close to the ceiling even though the window is significantly lower? Or should the rod go a bit above the frame?
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Rod at the ceiling (with clearance for the drapes if you are using a rod pocket with a ruffle or gather at the top). There's really not a lot of distance between your window casing top and the ceiling. When the drapes are in place you will see that it doesn't look strange at all. Even in the third photo here, where there's lots of wall between the window and the ceiling, the drapes look good hung up high.

    Summer House · More Info



    Carmel Mid-Century LEED · More Info



    The Olivers House · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Well you could change all your decor and furniture to be more contemporary so the oversize works...
  • 10 years ago

    I love it. AND your husband is adorable.

  • 10 years ago

    If you sew, you could always add fabric to the bottom of drapes and trim down the inside edge.

  • 10 years ago


    livingroom · More Info

    note trim at bottom to extend length.

  • 10 years ago
    The correct height for a light fixture is no more than 36" from the table top.
    It's a great looking piece. A round table would look great!
  • 10 years ago
    We went for it and installed it and...we love it! We moved the box so we wouldn't have to swag the light. Next up: hang the curtains higher!
  • 10 years ago

    I think it looks great, but I've always like oversized. :-)

    lamaya2019 thanked Cat
  • 10 years ago

    I actually had my husband hold a smaller fixture but it didn't look right in the huge room. This fixture is definitely right for the room. It's a bit oversized relative to the table but we are attached to this table so it's staying!



  • 10 years ago

    lovely! though i did like the last model better. brew haha (honoring Halloween)

  • 10 years ago

    Yay! Congrats on the light and on letting your DH (Dear Husband) down from the table top. The light looks great. If you like, you could put more substantial chairs (nothing huge) at each end of the table to give the table more visual weight. Can't wait to see the drapes.

    lamaya2019 thanked hsharrington
  • 10 years ago
    We raised the curtains! It looks a lot better don't you think?
  • 10 years ago

    much

  • 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago

    Looks like you need a more decorative light bulb. Is one avail that will give enough lite?

  • 10 years ago
    I am looking for a lightbulb that's dimmable and looks good. I have Edison bulbs in the fixtures over the kitchen island so maybe something like that...
  • 10 years ago
    Wrong style for the room.
  • 10 years ago

    I think it looks great!

  • 10 years ago

    I was just about to comment that you need to raise the curtains to the ceiling, but I see you already did that. Huge difference!

  • 10 years ago
    Paint the ceiling and above the trim in Farrow and Ball's BORROWED LIGHT.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Really fun and very apropriate for your space!! Size is great! Have fun trust your gut on this!!

  • 10 years ago
    Your house isn't ugly, it's honest. It isn't pretending to be anything. Keep the door order the carport for rain protection. You just need to rethink the landscaping.
  • 10 years ago

    Stephanie! Really like the drapes up higher. What a difference you've made in your room with just a few changes. You can inspire the rest of us to take a chance and get fab outcomes!

  • 10 years ago
    Too large for the small table. If this table sat 8-10, then yes. Just my opinion.
  • 10 years ago
    The truth is.... If you ask for opinions before purchasing - they somewhat matter. If you ask for opinions after you purchased the item. - most likely you are 95% lbs what you have bought and you just need an approval :))) I have been there. Go with it. You love it.
  • 10 years ago

    anything else you need help with? you have done great!

    lamaya2019 thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    Well, yes! Though I may need a new post :-) My living room and entryway are both looking a bit lifeless...

  • 10 years ago

    yes, they can get kinda long. if you liked those helping you, you can come back here and invite us by putting in the url.

  • 9 years ago

    hmmm, reading would have enlightened one to much of the obvious grasshopper!

  • 9 years ago

    sorry i would have to say too large. maybe if you table was a little bigger it would look proportionate. but i think i may be outnumbered

  • 9 years ago

    ok i am obviously to obtuse. ***LAST COMMENT-9/26/16!***** GOT IT?

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Actually, I have read all the comments, and gave my opinion. But then, when I looked at the date, I deleted all my comments, and somehow missed one. However, there is no need to be rude. What I don't understand is why houzz shows old outdated posts instead/ahead of recent posts. Sorry, question is to houzz.

  • 9 years ago

    sorry amaliya, i teased you about not reading but if you note russell came in right behind me and had to comment anyway so i figured i had to yell across a great divide.

    although if reading one should see it was solved way back, no?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Well, not the whole thing, half way through enough to see what was going on, obviously that wasn't enough. :) Thanks

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Looks to big for that table, it will feel as a "constant distraction" when you seat at the table, and like something is on top of you.

    The light you have hanging in the kitchen way in the back there looks like the right size as proportional sizing go.

    That being said, if you like the way it looks and feels...enjoy it.

    Good luck

  • PRO