Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegreen13

Advice Needed: Speed Queen vs Miele

bluegreen13
7 years ago

Hello!

I have been lurking for awhile on the laundry forum and am now seeking the infinite wisdom of this forum! I am renovating a laundry room in a second home and I have room for 2 sets of washer/dryers. I have 3 children and an elderly dog. The laundry room will see huge amounts of use during the summer (endless beach towels, sheets etc) but it will slow down during the rest of the year.

My fantasy washer is tough enough to handle large loads of towels, gets hot enough to deal with sheets from sick children/incontinent dog but won't destroy my vintage hand embroidered sheets that are on my own bed. It also doesn't need a lot of maintenance.

I have always had FLs(city apartments) and am not adverse to the way they clean however the mold/mildew issue drives me insane. We consistently leave the washer door open after each wash however rarely do we remember to wipe out the gasket(there is a lot going on). I loathe keeping bleach around however I have started running a machine clean cycle with bleach about once a month—this seems to help. Feels a little high maintenance. Additionally, our Electrolux FL(barely 4 years old) doesn"t seem to hold up well to how much we use it—the door latch has already been replaced and the push button for the liquid dispenser often gets stuck(we clean it once a month). The "chrome" sticker on the knob is flaking off.

So here is what i am considering:

A TL Speed Queen—seems amazing, my mother in law is obsessed with hers. If I understand correctly though, there is no onboard heater. Will it get hot enough clean sheets from a sick kid? My other concern is that the agitator will be too rough on the "good" sheets. Am I silly to be concerned about this?

Miele Little Giant—Seems to have the most loyal following after Speed Queens! I like their construction and appreciate the ability to program lots of settings. I am concerned about capacity and washing larger items like quilts etc. They are expensive and you still have the FL issue.

I would love some advice, I have gone through and looked up many old threads but to be honest, I ended up more confused and conflicted than before.

I there something else I should consider instead? Extremely grateful for all of your thoughts!

Comments (104)

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

So yours is the Black control panel 2018 version...that was the last FL version Speed Queen produced.

I heard that Speed Queen will be back in the Front Loader game in 2019. I hope that is true.

I can only imagine that would be the case after their horrible new Top Loaders and all the bad press they have received.

Jeff

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Kim I'm happy to see you like your new Queen. Keep us updated please.

Happy laundering.

• Kim Weaver
    5 years ago
    Took the Miele apart. Seems the bearings are fine! But this...........not so much! Spider bracket? Fixable?
  • Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

Kim,

WOW! There is not much left of that aluminum Spider.

Jeff

• H Seattle
    5 years ago

@jeffreycaban

do you have more information about the new upcoming SQ 2019 front loader? Is it from creditable source ? I hope that the unannounced front loader don’t deviate from the its quality heritage .

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

H Seattle,

I read on another Forum that Speed Queen had stopped production of all Front Loaders to fulfill a contract and they would restart production in early 2019.

This didn't sound all that correct to me so I contacted Speed Queen directly to ask them about this.

I received this response-

"Jeffrey,

Thank you for your inquiry.

At this time we are not manufacturing front load washers for our Home line and we do not have plans to bring them back in 2019.

Regards,

Leanna K.Sales Support Representative"

• Michelle
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Now, that it is 2021...do any of you have any updates on Miele vs Speed Queen front loaders?

• jamieclosson1
    3 years ago

I would like to know as well! And also, which one is the most quiet?

• Christina Ricci
    3 years ago

I would love an update on this conversation. I am new to the group but have been having this washer dilemma for way too long now. I don't have a huge laundry room and it right next to our guest bathroom, so seen a lot. SQ machines are definitely not pretty to look at. All the pretty laundry rooms use FL because they give you so much opportunity for more counter space when built in.

I ordered the SQ Tr7 about 4 weeks ago and am still waiting. (way too much time for thinking!)

I have heard great things about SQ top loaders but from people who own the older models. I am curious about the Miele because it looks so much nicer and uses less space. I have an Electrolux front loader as well so wonder if I would enjoy 1 TL. Electrolux is fine. Doesn't get out all of my stains and doesn't dry clothes unless it is a full load

I honestly am looking for #1 a GREAT cleaning machine #2 not wrinkling my clothes in knots

#3 ability to look somewhat "pretty" in my laundry room as it will be seen by guest.

The store I ordered my SQ says it will be another 6-8 weeks before my machine is in so if I would like to switch to the Miele, they would exchange for me.

Do you, whoever is listening, think the Miele is really good at getting out stains without leaving clothes in knots? Is the dryer good at drying no matter the load size?

Size doesn't matter since we have a larger Electrolux as well.

I am such an overthinker! Thanks for your opinions, I enjoy all the info you all provide.

• Cal
    3 years ago

My Miele has been great at both washing/drying. One thing to be aware of is that Miele dryer offers reverse-tumbling, at points during the drying cycle the drum will reverse to help prevent clothes from twisting. Hasn't been an issue with single items, except once in a while if drying just one t-shirt, it can get stuck on the paddles while it's wet -- it will usually sort itself out though.

• Christina Ricci
    3 years ago

That is good to know. How long have you owned your washer and dryer? Is it good at removing stains from clothes? Delicate cycle?

• Cal
    3 years ago

Over 2 years, literally purchased it the day it became available in the US. Excellent at stains (especially with Twindos), however be prepared as you might be shocked to find out how much detergent build-up exists on your clothes from your current washer. Couldn't believe how much cleaner everything is after moving to this machine. Also, for the washer I would recommend checking out the WWH860 this is the only mode with a secondary pump -- It gives you the 'single wash' cycle and also quickintensewash. Which are very quick cycles that clean very well.

• delray33483
    3 years ago

Cheistina- how much is the SQ set? Just trying to see what the price points are.

btw- I have the Miele set as well with the 860 washer and love it. There is. big difference in the technology between the SQ and Miele especially with the twin DOS. Integrating the mechanical action with complementary chemistry is a giant step up. There are plenty of SQ fans out there but it isn't a marriage of technology like Miele

• Christina Ricci
    3 years ago

It will be just under $3k. I'm definitely starting to change my mind now. Miele is such a nicer looking product. If it does a good job on stains and dried without wrinkling that sounds like a great choice for me. Do you feel like it takes awhile for clothes to dry without the vent?

Thank you so very much for all your help!!

• jamieclosson1
    3 years ago

I have heard it takes a lot longer to dry clothes without a vent. We were told Miele does not sell full size washer and dryers in the United States now. Or maybe they just don't in Kansas City. Regardless, it might be difficult to find a service technician if needed. We ordered the SQ and they will be installed in cabinets with doors because they will be in my office located in our sleeping porch on the second floor. I will ask my husband how much they are.

• Christina Ricci
    3 years ago

So you ordered the SQ front loader? I just wish we were able to try them out before buying!! It is something we use all the time and I want to love it!

This has been very helpful. Thank you to everyone!

• delray33483
    3 years ago

The ventless Miele dryer takes about 1 hour for a "full" load. I find that with so many programs that I sort the clothes in ways that make them cleaner, look better out of the dryer and they last longer. That probably means smaller loads but so be it - it is a good tradeoff

• Kim Weaver
    3 years ago

@Christina Ricci I have the SQ front loader now for 2 1/2 years and really like it! Previously I had a Miele and loved that one also. But the spider bracket corroded badly (cost too much to repair) and we just decided to try out the SQ. So far it washes everything great and no problems at all. And we use it very heavily.....15 + loads a week is normal.

• Christina Ricci
    3 years ago

So you would recommend the SQ FL from your previous experience. Did you consider the SQ top loader when making your decision or was that not an option? Thank you Kim!

• MWJ '90
    2 years ago

Christina, thank you so much for keeping this thread alive. This is so timely. I actually just posted a similar question about 3 weeks ago now. I've only used top loaders, but my wife really wants us to get a FL for our next machine. I was looking into getting either an SQ or an LG. I would likely get a SQ because my main concern is durability. But I also here great things about LG FL washers as well. Miele is out of the question for our budget unfortunately. Plus the service availability kinda scares me. I'm in west central Florida and am not sure if they are available in my area.

• jwvideo
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

MWJ - Some points to reflect further on with regard to the "Miele vs SQ" subject of this thread. (Leaving out "SQ FL vs. LG FL" for another thread.)

As with Miele, you will want to check on availability of good local service for SQ models. SQ warranty service is meant to be handled through the selling dealer. With SQ, that means checking out the local dealers from whom you might buy the machine. In west central Florida, you may have a choice of several dealers. Best to check out the various local dealers' reputations for service and how accessible each is to your location.

On the question of SQs' durability --- as near as I can tell, it is not so much a matter of the FLs all being absolutely "bullet-proof" than it is a mix of factors. One factor is that the SQ FL models (in both commercial and residential forms) are designed for easy maintenance/service with even basic DIY skills. That can translate to less expensive service if you have to pay for service. (Maybe you pay for it because you don't have DIY skills or maybe don't have the time for or interest in DIYing.) Also, the SQ models cost so much to buy that it can seem economically rational to pay for a major repair --- say $400 or $500 to have bearings replaced ----- when you might not do that for an LG FL that you bought for $750 ten years ago. (FWIW, that's what LG's WM4000 models were priced at during the Memorial Day Weekend sales.)

Sort of the same thing with Miele except that the parts cost a lot more, as far as I can tell, and Miele USA seems to be undergoing some reorganizations which is leading to complaints on sites like AutomaticWasher.org. Finally, SQs have very long production runs which means replacement parts may be available for very long times.

Expanding on your point about cost. The $1600 price for a SQ FR7005 FL (in white) includes five-year parts and labor warranty. Currently, the least capable, least expensive W-1 models offered by MieleUSA (WWB020wcs and WXD160wcs) will be $1520 with five-years parts and labor coverage. The more capable Miele W-1 models are a lot more when purchased with the five year warranty.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

Cheapest price does not a good washer make.

Speed Queen does not have

- Onboard heater

- Recirculation pump

- Detergent Dispensing

- WiFi

- Customized Cycles

- Heat Pump Dryers

- High G-Factor spin (More moisture removed in final washer spin)

I am sure I missed somerhing. maybe those things are not important to you, but there is a reason Miele costs more.

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

LoL at the irony of a $1600 Speed Queen being "the cheapest."

To be clear, I only intended to expand on MWJ's post. I did not intend to imply that the higher tier Miele models had no reason for costing more.

As for things you missed on what the SQ's lack, you can add that they lack a "pause-and-add-garment" function. ETA: I'm out of date on this. As Dadoes points out below, the current manual for the FF7 says there is a pause and add garment function.

On the "high-G factor spin," this may be a niggling point. The Miele machines drums can spin faster (1400 or 1600 rpm depending on model) than the SQ (1200 rpm, IIRC) but the SQ drum is larger. G forces vary with both rpms and with the size of the drum. In this instance, the practical differences in moisture extraction may be pretty marginal. Either way, were still talking about very expensive machines.

As others mentioned early in this thread, the SQ's lack of an onboard heater and recirculation pump is probably the deal-killer for many when it comes to spending this much on a washer. The work-arounds for the SQ -- plumbing a mixing valve into the water supply lines to manually control temperatures or inserting a cheap, 120v small-tank electric water heater into the hose between the cold water tap and the cold inlet on the washer --- certainly won't do anything to maintain specific wash temperatures for those who want or need them nor provide profile washes for those who want or need them, either Those "heater workarounds" also add more expense onto the the already expensive SQ, as well. (Unless, like me, you already have one of them in place because your existing washer did not come with an on-board heater, either.) Now the question of whether you want or need profile washes as part of the built-in array of tools --- as opposed to being able to accomplish the same effects manually when occasionally needed --- that's very much a matter or personal preferences and situations. Same thing with automatic detergent and additive metering-dispensing systems and recirculation pumps. Essential features for some, useful conveniences though not essential to others, and matter of indifference for still other folks.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Recirculation pumps aren't a necessity, although they're helpful on machines and cycles that are extra-restricted on water usage.

Regards to "pause-and-add-garment" ... Speed Queen frontloaders have a Start/Pause button which allows adding an overlooked item. From the instruction manual for current models:

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

corrected my post above.

• Mark
    2 years ago

Recirculation pump spraying clothes in a big drum with next to no water, total joke! Been there done it with the Electrolux 617. There is more wear on clothing by this method, and further machine cleaning methods must be taken. The Electrolux 617's and likely the 627's fail to clean the recirculation jet and mixing chamber during clean cycle. I would always do a whitest whites heavy soil hot cycle and add 1 cup of bleach into detergent side of dispenser as it starts to fill. That way the mixing chamber gets cleaned along with the jets that spray. Then I would run a clean cycle with cup of bleach. I ignored the first step for almost 2 yrs, when I did this the brown gunk coming out of the spray jet was unreal. And I did a hot wash for whites every week or so, just no CB.

"Recirculation pumps aren't a necessity, although they're helpful on machines and cycles that are extra-restricted on water usage." Exactly dadoes. If you want a miser machine, get one with the recirculation pump. I'm sure most are very frugal with water.

• Mark
    2 years ago

No heater in a Speed Queen is enough to make it simple for which to purchase. Get a Miele. FYI the prewash situation will be fixed. NJ emailed and said likely August. New machines just rolled out before Germany knew there was an issue are included in this mess. I'm over it, just have to wait for the software.

• Cavimum
    2 years ago

"As others mentioned early in this thread, the SQ's lack of an onboard heater and recirculation pump is probably the deal-killer for many when it comes to spending this much on a washer."

Our Miele W4842 is ten years old, so I'm sort of thinking about the next machine. This machine has had a lot of money sunk into it over the years and I'm not in love. We don't need such a large capacity machine (4.0 cu ft) either, but having the internal water heater and the ability to do a good Sanitize wash is a plus. "Sanitize" really came in handy when the dog barfed on her dog bed or when she has a UTI and those "accidents." ...ugh... :-p

So the early search-and-find window shopping has commenced for whenever this machine is done for .... or I am done with it. I have looked at SQ FL and follow the discussions here because they are made in the USA and there is a long-standing reputable dealer in our area, but that lack of HOT or Sanitize might be the deal-breaker for me. I would much rather use a Sanitize or good HOT cycle than chlorine bleach.

• Cavimum
    2 years ago

.>>>>luna123456 said:

Cheapest price does not a good washer make.

Speed Queen does not have

. . .

- Detergent Dispensing >>>>>

Really? Is the detergent placed directly into the SQ drum before you close the door and hit Start? That seems odd.

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

The Speed Queen uses much more water vs. competing washers so it doesn't need a recirculation pump. And for most cycles, when you select "HOT" you get a true hot fill.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Speed Queen frontloaders have a 4-compartment dispenser drawer.

-- Main Wash Detergent

-- Pre-Wash Detergent

-- Liquid Bleach

-- liquid Fabric Softener

They do not have a dedicated compartment to handle pods, which are to be placed into the drum with the clothes.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

A recirculation pump is not there to use less water on a Miele. it is there to more effectivly distribute the wash liquor and soak the clothes. This is especially true when a full load is being done.

water use efficiency with excellent cleaning should be the goalnof every washer.

Hot fill will set stains. Profile wash (fill cold/luke warm and the heat to temp) is the best way to remove stains without setting them.

Automated dispensing may not be much of deal if only doing a couple loada per week. We do 40-60 and have six to seven people doing laundry. Automated dispensing keeps the amount of detergent used constant and also keeps the laundry room cleaner due to no spilled detergent.

if you dont have a washer with this feature then it is easy to dismiss it. You dont know what your missing.

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

Are USA Miele washers configured out of the box to do profile washes? I was under the impression you needed to set it up for cold fill only to do that. Maybe certain cycles (i.e. baby clothes) automatically do a profile wash?

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Automated detergent dispensing ... not a feature I want.

• Cavimum
    2 years ago

Thank you dadoes. That is definitely a detergent dispenser. I couldnt see SQ doing it without that.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

All Miele washers do profile washes by default. They do not fill hot only from my experience. It is always a mix unless cold is selected.

Keep on mind almost ALL on premisis laundry is done with automated chemical dispensing. Miele is the first company that blends detergent and bleaching/destaining into a residential chemical dispenser.

Some people may not want the feature, but it works great for us.

• Jen Jobart
    2 years ago

jwvideo if you're still reading this thread could you elaborate on the electric heater setup you have? We're still in the framing stage and haven't started rough plumbing so it would be easy to add a heater at this point.

In answer to this thread, I looked at the Miele machines yesterday. The fact that they have an automatic soap dispenser that only accommodates their liquid soap is a dealbreaker for me. That and they are backordered until next September. I'm going to look at Speed Queen frontloaders next. So far it seems the only dealbreaker there is lack of an onboard heater but if I could solve that with a separate heater they'd be perfect.

• armjim
    2 years ago

I just looked up SQ FLs out of curiosity. The pricing is Miele territory. I think it would be more competitive if it had an onboard heater. To get a true hot wash the user is evidently forced to turn the water heater pretty high. I did like some of the other features-the capacity, the balancing, and the spin speed. I had many issues with our LG not wanting to spin a heavy load. I tend to wash a full load of towels and the washer just did not want to do a final spin, even if I selected a lower speed, or used the bulky cycle. I am pretty happy with our SQ Top loader, but would never say I would not go back to a FL. I don't like the long wash times, but being able to do more items in one load makes up for it, if you can get the machine to spin. SQ seems to have solved that, and they have a very nice warranty. Ours is just reaching 4 years old, so I am hoping we get another 10 years minimum. So far not one issue.

• Jen Jobart
    2 years ago

Thanks armjim that's helpful. Basically my only criteria is a machine that will not get moldy and I'm willing to pay a lot for that because medical bills with mold far outweigh the cost of a machine. I was looking at top loaders but we're on a low-capacity well and dadoes and others convinced me that a front loader would work as long as I run loads on hot and use powder detergent, and keep the door open and gasket wiped. I like that the Speed Queens have metal outer and inner tubs, and they seem to be well built. The front loaders get good reviews on Consumer Reports They have a good reputation in the mold community. I'm glad to hear yours is working.

• armjim
    2 years ago

Jen, dadoes always gives sound advice. The SQ would work nicely-well built, will let you use Tap Hot and the other good features with that warranty make it a contender.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Yea, Jen, it's a hard choice to make. You have a lot to think about. Any brand washer/dryer can produce a dud or lemon, but overall, people are pleased with Miele or Speed Queen.

We were in this thought process recently because our SQ TL is rather rough on dh's dress clothes. He wanted to go back to a FL. I had to do the deep research again and I found the Speed Queen FL a serious contender like armjim said. It's a lot of money (in Miele territory) for not getting an internal heater. That's a tough feature lack at that price. We ended up with a comprimise and dh will take his dress shirts to the cleaners, for now.

The SQ FL has the metal outer drum, which from what I gathered, also helps with keeping mold at bay. Mold tends to like plastic more than metal. I too was turned off by the autodose of the Miele. It's a nice feature, but not the scent. I would use it so infrequently it would likely cause extrenious issues with other parts of the machine.

I was where you are a number of years ago with mold in FL washer and health issues. I go to great legnths to be mold-free in my washer. So far, in the 5+ years I've had my SQ TL, as far as I know, we are mold-free following the detergent/temp/additives guideline I gave you in your original thread. I set my water heater to 140F and I get that temp in my washer. (I have an instant therometer and I've do check it from time to time) The temp holds pretty well too when I do a long soak. I do lose temp after a while, but it's not a lot and takes a very long time to drop even ten degrees. If I was on a low producing well, I would opt for the Speed Queen FL and make sure my water heater was placed near the washer (mine is a couple feet from the washer and armjim has a water heater dedicated to his laundry room iirc), run a nearby faucet to hot, to bleed the line of cold standing water and use the powder/borax/once in a while chlorine bleach protocol for good/anti mold washing results. Liquid detergent at times, but bulk of loads done with powder since it's ingredients keep mold from growing.

There's also Bosch. They make compact FLs and have a 170F santitize cycle. This would be excellent to keep mold away. I have given serious thought to that washer, but it needs 220 or 240 electric. You are in a good position in that you still have to put all that in. I could plug the Bosch washer into the Bosch dryer and be running that way, but I don't want to have a Bosch dryer. Anyways, this is an option to consider. You would want a Bosch 500 or 800 model as the 300 doesn't have an internal heater afaik.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Jen, you could also have a small dedicated water heater in your new laundry room and set it is 180F or whatever high temp you desired...poof. Instant super heated washing machine and you don't have to worry about burnt hands at faucets. SQ FL will give you true tap hot temps, not dumbed down.

• Jen Jobart
    2 years ago

Thank you SEA SEA. All of your input has been really helpful. I've looked at the Bosch but I had an appliance repair person tell me he would never buy one because they're always needing repairs and always need expensive parts. And we're kind of out in the boonies so finding repairs is tricky as-is. There's a local-ish shop that gets good reviews, sells Speed Queens and has a repair shop, so that's all helpful.

I like your idea of putting a faucet close to the washer. I also want to explore installing a dedicated hot water heater for the washer so that we can keep that water at a higher temp.

• armjim
    2 years ago

SEA SEA we do indeed have a WH that services our LR and the Kitchen. The other WH is for the bathrooms. We keep them both set pretty high. Both WHs are in the garage; the LR is right off the garage but the kitchen is much further away so I have to run the water at the sink for a minute or so before starting the dishwasher, even though I always use the Hi-Temp wash. Hot water is the key, and if Jen selects the SQ that will help her greatly.

SEA SEA, would the delicate cycle work for your husband's dress shirts if there was more agitation? I have meant to ask about that. On the TL SQ, the delicate cycle is TOO delicate for my tastes-primarily soaking with no more than 30 or so seconds of agitation for the duration of the wash period. I wish the options were delicate with the reduced agitation speed for the duration of the wash period, and a Hand washables cycle that is the current method-soaking with just a bit of agitation. Even FL delicate cycles I don't think have enough tumbling.

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

@Jen Jobart

To be clear, let me say again that my own set-up is a manual, external mixing valve rather than a set-up using the small, in-line electric water heater alternative you asked about. Also my heaterless, 14 y.o. FL washer is not a Speed Queen.

That said, the "electric water heater" alternative is actually an after market "plug-n-play" thing rather than something you that you frame or build-in during house construction.

What you do during construction is to make sure you have enough 120v circuits and outlets in your LR to be able handle the 1400 watt (or so) load of the heater while running your washing machine.

The person I know who has one of these set-ups is running both his FL washer and in-line heater on a single 20 Amp 120v circuit much as you might do with a washer with an on-board heater such as a Miele. For new construction like yours, I might prefer to add another, dedicated circuit and outlet for in-line water heater. The inline external heaters may draw more current than a standard on-board water heater will.

The one I've seen first hand was one that used a little Bosch in-line heater like this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-Tronic-Mini-Tank-2-7-Gallon-Lowboy-6-year-Limited-1440-watt-1-Element-Point-of-Use-Electric-Water-Heater/5000622219. 

You just hang on it the finished wall above or next to the washer where you can reach it easily and plug it into a regular 120v outlet. Connect the input side to your cold water tap with an off the shelf washing machine hose. The shorter, the better, (Might have to add a hose-thread fitting to the heater's in and out pipes; some heaters come with them, some do not,) Run another hose from the "out"port on the heater to your washer's cold water "in" connection.

What I understand you do with a washer like the Speed Queen FL models (which do not have electronic auto temperature control) is (a) choose a cold wash temp on the washing machine so all (or most of) the water flows in through the cold side when it fill for a wash); (b) set your in-line water heater to the warm or hot temperature you want to use (something between 95°F and whatever the unit's top end is which may be 145°F although some models apparently will go higher); (c) give it 15 minutes to heat up; (d) start the wash cycle; and (d) turn it off when the wash fill is done unless you have some reason to want hot rinses. Turn it off when you are done with the washing day or washing session. After all It's an inline, point of use water heater with a small tank and it serves only your washing machine. On the days when you aren't washing, there is no need to use power or keep water heated.

Some folks think it sufficient to just skip this extra set-up and equipment if your Speed Queen will be close to the water heater. YMMV, of course, because different people have different laundry and laundering preferences. For an idea of how that might work with a SQ Front-Loader, check out Jeff Caban's experiments in this thread, if you have not already seen it: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5193747/my-last-three-weeks-with-a-fl-speed-queen-afne9bsp113tw01#n=0 

• Jen Jobart
    2 years ago

jwvideo that's perfect. Thank you so much for your detailed response. I agree it makes sense to have a dedicated outlet for the heater. That is exactly the setup we have now for our little portable Giantex washer. We have it hooked up to a propane on demand camping heater that is right next to it so the washer is only getting hot water for both wash and rinse cyles. Less hassle that way. I just wasn't sure what my options were for heaters. Now I've just searched Lowe's for "Point of Use Water Heater" following your URL and found plenty of options so that sets me up. So, Speed Queen it is! Thank you to everyone who helped me figure this out!

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

Regarding your current "Giantex" set-up with the propane fired, on-demand, camping water heater: any chance that the "local-ish shop that gets good reviews [&], sells Speed Queens ..." might let you run test load or two in the shop using your camping water heater? That set-up should give you results pretty much the same as you'd get using a 120v electric in-line unit. For what a SQ FF7 costs --- was down to $1600 for a while but the price seems to be back up to around $1850 right now --- you could find out if you like or dislike that kind of work-around with the SQ before you buy it.

FWIW, one of my neighbors in our rather rural town, recently moved into a house with a TL washer. The prior owner had converted a camping "on-demand" water heater to run on natural gas and used it to heat the water going to the top-load washer. The prior owner seemed to think running a gas unit would be less expensive than an electric model given the much larger volumes of water used by TL washers.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Glad you found a solution Jen. I hope you get the house, laundry room and washing machine of your dreams! If you can get your wash temps up high enough, like with your new plan, you have a lot more freedom in regards to powder vs liquids and mold prevention.

Hi armjim,

The delicate cycle on the SQs is rather silly to even take up space on the dial, don't you think? Our washers are a little different with yours being electronic controls and I have the mechanical timer knob. But they are probably similar enough for us to feel the same way about the delicate cycle. What I had been doing to try and keep his dress shirts in better shape was to pre-wash cycle them then give a main wash for a few minutes and let soak for a while then push it through the cycle by moving the dial to completion (like I have nothing else better to do all day, ugh). Removing much of the agitation. littlegreeny suggested I try that. I thought it was working out alright (stains and soils were visably removed), then dh asked what was happening that was different about his shirts :( He could tell something was amiss. I was hoping the few mins of agi would do the trick, but I guess not. I'm washing those at a lower temp, so that probably plays a factor too. Shirt laundry it is until I come up a better idea. Sigh. He just can't deal with losing more dress shirts and he shouldn't have to. Still thinking on it...

• Jen Jobart
    2 years ago

jwvideo I can certainly ask. But it's working out really well with a cheap $200 washer. It hasn't gotten moldy. So I imagine it would work even better with a Speed Queen. I've thought about a gas unit and we could do that but currently we don't have a gas line running into the building. It's all run on solar electric.

• armjim
    2 years ago

SEA SEA, my washer is analog, like yours. It is the dryer that is electronic. I wanted the analog washer so I could control the water level and add as much water as I wanted to the tub with the reset. When doing dress shirts I would start them off in delicate, get frustrated, advance the dial to normal for a few moments of agitation, then turn it back to delicate. Ridiculous.. Like you, I now take our dress shirts to the cleaners and let them launder and press them. Even when I would wash them, I would only let them tumble dry for a bit, then hang them to finish drying. Neither me nor my partner were ever happy with them compared to how they come back from the cleaners. I think I need to take a class or something in learning how to iron shirts after washing them, versus a touch up for going out. We would both be happier. Still would feel like the washing process takes a lot of intervention though.