Software
Houzz Logo Print
aaron_green14

What is on my southern peas?

10 years ago

For the last 2 or 3 years, I'm getting this infestation on my beans and southern peas. Anyone know what it is and how to treat it?



Full Resolution Image

Comments (8)

  • 10 years ago

    An amazingly large population of aphids. squish them or blast off w/ harsh water spray. OR squsih as needed.


    Next season, don't allow them to become this numerous. Keep a watch and start dealing when they are only a few. Repeat every several days, as needed.


    Notice that you have some help at hand -- it's on the right side, the grayish thing spread across the pod. It's the larva of a flower fly (syrphid fly) but it won't be able to keep up with the multitudes at hand.

  • 10 years ago

    be nice to know where you are .. but in mid to late september.. i would not be much impressed with plants declining.. and bugs exploding ...


    if you have gotten a decent harvest ... just yank these out.. and be done with them for the season .... its not really the time of year to be wasting money.. nor your time.. fighting the inevitable ...


    ken

  • 10 years ago

    I don't know the status of Aaron's garden, but southern field peas can harvested late into the fall. They may be plagued by aphids at this time of year, but they should be controlled with sharp sprays of water.

  • 10 years ago

    sure rhiz.. anything can last late into the season ... but sometimes.. its better to just be done with them ...


    ken

  • 10 years ago

    Have you ever grown field peas, ken?

    Regardless, we don't know Aaron's location. In warmer zones, he could have planted them in August for harvesting through the late fall. Controlling aphids is something that most of who like to grow our own veggies are more than willing to do.

    Aaron is a bit behind the learning curve since he didn't know what aphids are. It's far better to keep watch for them early on in the season before they turn into a big population such as seen in the above picture.


  • 10 years ago

    Hi all, I'm in Southern Mississippi, so it's still quite warm here and will be for a while. I'm trying to work out a garden plan that hopefully has me harvesting all year long, but I'm having some trouble with late summer/early fall with pests. I did try spraying them off, but they were back in full force a couple of days later. I see now that I should have caught it earlier.

    At some point when it gets a bit colder, I start with things like lettuce, spinach, and some other things I'm trying this year. Just having trouble every year with this in between period.

  • 10 years ago

    We had our first vegetable garden this year in partial shade. No bug problems at all until the very end. Then it was only the darn leaffooted bugs.

  • 10 years ago

    Aaron, aphids multiply like crazy. Spraying them off is one of the many gardening tasks that requires repetition, like weeding, watering, and harvesting.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting