Software
Houzz Logo Print
regina_mizell47

Help!! Window ideas?? Pic Included

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

We have finished our plans and about to start building. However, the more I look at the windows at the front of the house, the more I don't like them. I don't know if its because the arch is so little? Maybe it should go the length of the windows? Or should I put in something totally different? Please Help!!

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Sorry, dated. A taller window with nothing above.

    Regina Mizell thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I agree a taller windows or windows with transoms and also a transom above the door.

    The window to the right of the door I would split into 2-double windows so that column is not smack in the middle of it, or I'm pretty sure that column can be eliminated altogether.

    Can you post a plan of the first floor please? The reason I'm asking that, is because I think the roof should be done a bit different. IMO the top portion of the hip roof should be extended further to the right of the house, to cover up more the hip in the back of it.


    Regina Mizell thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • 10 years ago



  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I can't stand arches and they are dated. I'd do rectangular transoms over the entire window openings on th lower windows. Not the uppers

    Regina Mizell thanked Kris Mays
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hey There: As the previous pros mentioned, these arches are very dated and besides that, there is almost no way to get window treatment for it - expect fixed ones and this defeeds the purpose. You can open the windows up with a transom across the units and for the roof line you could go with a triangle unit if you really want a special shape...Make sure that the windows are big and let a lot of light inside the house - light is life.

    Good Luck with your project - find some ideas on our website at www.fenstermann.com


    Regina Mizell thanked Fenstermann LLC
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would extend the right side of the upper roof to make the dormer more centered with the top portion of the roof and that will also hide some of the roof behind. The roof behind takes it away from the front.

    Something like this

  • 10 years ago

    The columns / posts serve no purpose in the design. If required for structural support please redesign so the right window is not blocked by a post. GN Builders roof design is much better than your current design.

    Regina Mizell thanked chiflipper
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    one of the photos we used for our design.

    @GN Builders L.L.C thank you so much for your feedback. I love your idea of windows with a transom and the roofline. This helps. I really don't care for the look of hand railings, thats why I told them we wanted square columns. The dormer is a little wider because I thought it would look better on a large roof.

  • 10 years ago

    @GN Builders L.L.C Would you keep the roof line the way you changed it or would you do something totally different? Honestly, the only things we really want to make sure we have is the front/side porch and garage on the back side.

    I would love to hear any ideas you have about our plans. We are first time home builders and this house will be on property that has been in the family for many years. So this is not a house we plan on selling after a few years.





  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The roof you have on the drawing is expensive to built. I would do everything with gables and get rid of the hip roof. That will also give you more room upstairs if you making a game room, etc. You can also raise the walls of second floor and have the porch roof run into them, this way you can add more windows for the upstairs space and bring more light in.

    Here is how I would do the roof.

    Good luck

  • 10 years ago
    It's not a two story. Just a bonus room above the garage.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    We built a house with 6/12 roof pitch was quite a large, long home and had large vaults. It cost more in trusses and used more wood in trusses than it did to do the framing. If you haven't started yet, re-think this plan. It will be costly to build and I'd rather put my money elsewhere in the budget, personally, than in my unusable attic..

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Regina, the 1st plan you posted shows the second floor bonus room (above the garage). What about the dormer above the front door? Is that a fake one or you plan to connected that to the bonus room?

  • 10 years ago
    It's a vaulted foyer.
  • 10 years ago
    We have had a really hard time with our plans. I'm really glad I put this on here. I'm definitely re-thinking this. Sucks because this is the second person to design our house. The first kept making our house bigger and bigger. Every time I wanted something changed our plans grew 500sq ft. It was a mess. So with this designer I concentrated on the floor plan, not thinking about the roof.