Software
Houzz Logo Print
salayna

Decorating Main Level - Drapes/Sofa

I need serious help. We recently purchased a home and I am trying to get some decorating done before we move all of our furniture in. I have no idea about design or decorating. The only thing I do know is that I like gray and as a result, I am leaning toward all things gray. Which as you all may know, is NOT good.

Attached are a few pictures of the space I need idea advice on. What color drapes would work here? There are five windows in total and two doors with large glass panels. All currently have wood blinds that I would like to keep for privacy.

Initially, I thought the sofa set "could" work, now I am seeing that is not possible so I am totally open for ideas with this as well.

The paint color is Benjamin Moore Whitestone which I am completely in love with and the wall behind the sofa is Gull Wing Gray, another beauty.

The lighting needs to be replaced, hence the terrible lighting for pictures. Again, I am open for options.

The fireplace is yet another problem. I thought I would paint this white and freshen the black paint up?

The hardwood floor is Gunstock.

Basically, I want someone to just tell me what drapes, lighting, furniture I should use.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.

****Please excuse the chaos and mess.

Thanks so much.



Comments (38)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Is this your furniture? The tv above the FP has got to go. A sofa and loveseat in the space doesn't work. Let's start with one room at a time. Your furniture choices make a difference in lighting and window treatment ideas.

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked Darzy
  • 10 years ago

    ok, 6 idea books, 0 living room pics. lol

    from little i could gather, i saw pale grays and pale aquas, is that sounding right? does this color combo appeal to you?

    Beautiful Home Decor, Beautifully Priced | Joss & Main · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Darzy, the furniture will be going and following the advice of both you and decoenthusiaste, the tv above the fireplace will be as well.

    Decoenthusiaste, I love your ideas and the photo is gorgeous. However, I think we need something that is more like a family room and less formal. Having said that, I think we can still use the layout but chose less formal looking furniture. Does that sound right? Also, if I put the two chairs to the right of the fireplace they will be blocking the french doors to the office/den.

    Havingfun, I do very much like the color scheme. The colors are indeed grays and pictures 1, 2 and 3 are of the living space.


  • 10 years ago

    so, since you love gray, did you want the couch to be gray? well, here are some color ideas.

    Modern Sofas - Type: Sofa | AllModern · More Info


    Finders Keepers 16.5" Throw Pillow, Blue · More Info

    Modern Sofas | AllModern · More Info

    Sofas & Sectionals | Joss & Main · More Info

    Finders Keepers 16.5" Throw Pillow, Blue · More Info

    Rug Factory Plus Fusion Silver/Cotton Area Rug | AllModern · More Info


    Finders Keepers 16.5" Throw Pillow, Blue · More Info

    8 5 Area Rugs | Rugs Direct · More Info

    Taupe Wool & Viscose Hooked Panache Area Rug by Loloi, 2'3"x3'9" · More Info

    Finders Keepers 16.5" Throw Pillow, Blue · More Info

  • 10 years ago


    8x10 Blue Rugs | eSaleRugs - Page 16 · More Info

    Finders Keepers 16.5" Throw Pillow, Blue · More Info
    Feizy Thatcher Rug, Citron, 5'x8' · More Info

    Birch Lane Skye Rug | Birch Lane · More Info
    let me know what i should toss.

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    Havingfun, I really like all of the colors. I really like that the blue area rug. Too.


  • 10 years ago

    This is a store that both my husband and I like. That doesn't happen often. Can you take a look and see if you see furniture that would go with the wall colors.

    http://www.la-z-boy.com/b/sofas/_/N-103rjdd

    I am now looking for drapes the same color.

    Thank you,

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Do you like this sofa? It comes in quite a few colors. The gray?

    Lazyboy sofa

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked Darzy
  • 10 years ago
    I would probably not do drapes. I think they would definitely overwhelm the dining area since it is small with so many windows. You could possibly do them in living room. But you said you wanted to keep the wood blinds so I would just put some $ elsewhere versus drapes.

    Agree the tv is way too big for fireplace. Agree with painting fireplace mantle white. And definitely agree with swapping out lighting. For your casual dining room you could do ikea for budget, or cb2 or west elm if you have more to spend. Not rrally sure of your style though as the current pics are kind of "style-less". Do you prefer modern or farmhouse/rustic, or traditional?
  • 10 years ago
    Also, putting chairs perpendicular yo thw fireplace will not block the french doors because they wont be pushed against the doors. They would be "floating" ie not against the wall. It would create a walkway from the door along the back of chairs. If that makes sense?
    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked shiningautumn8
  • 10 years ago

    Darzy, I cannot find that sofa in gray. I did the drop down for colors and it's not coming up. I do like the sofa and was looking it earlier. This is the other one.

    http://www.la-z-boy.com/p/sofas/madeline-premier-apartment-size-sofa/_/R-620809

    shiningautumn8, I initially thought the same thing about the drapery and was told it would pull the room together and give it a polished look.

    I agree the room has no style because we have done nothing with it aside from starting to paint. We are still not moved in.

    The eating area you see is not the dining room. It's just a small eating area off from the kitchen.

    My style would probably be described as eclectic or transitional. I am fine with either. Not so much modern or traditional.

    I am not a big fan of Ikea for decorating.

    Thank you all so very much for helping me out. I know this comes easier to some than others and I am one of those others. My forte is more baking and cooking. That I can advise on all day. Thanks again.


  • 10 years ago

    Darzy, wouldn't the gray sofa be a little too much gray with the walls and drapery being gray?

  • 10 years ago

    On that link for the sofa...on the $699 row, click on the "gray" but it's really called toast.

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked Darzy
  • 10 years ago

    That color would look lovely.


  • 10 years ago

    Darzy, it's the Laurel Premier one right? I see the price as $1499.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, it's the Laurel but I see it on sale for $699 Try this...

    http://www.la-z-boy.com/p/sofas/laurel-premier-sofa/_/R-610411

  • 10 years ago

    I'm in Canada, maybe that is why I still see $1499.

  • 10 years ago

    Time for some cross border shopping.

  • 10 years ago

    I think in the dining room you need a different shape and size table. I can see a rectangular table in that space. I do think a floor to ceiling straight drape would look nice and not be too overwhelming with the right weight-fabric. If you want a more formal feel I would go with a silk drape in a gold/taupe or gold thread in it. If you want a more casual feel you could go with a linen or batik print. I definitely would paint the face of the fireplace white. Yes, move the TV from above the mantle. I think a sofa with rattan base like a Tommy Bahama style would look very nice. It transitions casual or formal. It would also work well with the blinds you want to keep.

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked Christy Reves
  • 10 years ago

    Hi Christy Reves, I would like to keep the table and use that $ toward the living room furniture. I do like the idea of floor to ceiling drapes in a medium weight in a silk versus linen. I will look for something with the shimmer through it. DO you think a silver metallic thread could work also? I will be painting the fireplace white for sure and freshening up the black. Not so sure about the look of the rattan base sofa. I am going to be taking the advice of someone else from here and doing an apartment sofa. It might be something like this in the toast color. Lazyboy sofa

  • 10 years ago

    Darzy has you on the right track for your sofa! I think your dining area would look better with roman shades that you could use along with the blinds. They can be stationary and will soften the windows without overwhelming them with too much fabric. Simply adding new lighting, along with a few decorative accessories, should be enough to make the room feel a bit more polished without making it feel too formal. If you would like to tell me your budget, I'd be happy to help suggest some chandeliers.

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi,

    Replacing the chandelier will make a significant change in the look of the space, and will give it a more modern and updated feel.

    In Galilee lighting we make hand blown glass pendants lighting in similar styles, available in different sizes and can be designed in any length.

    I invite you to visit www.GalileeLighting.com

    To receive our catalog by email, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com

    Call us 305-807-8711

    We deliver worldwide.


    Rain drops contemporary dining room lights by GalileeLighting · More Info

    MODERN DINING ROOM CHANDELIER, MODERN PENDANT LIGHT FOR DINING ROOM · More Info

    CUSTOM BEAUTIFUL HAND BLOWN GLASS PENDANT LIGHTING · More Info

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked Galilee Lighting
  • 10 years ago
    Im worried about silk shimmer drapes in your small eating area. Not practical and very heavy stufffy and formal feeling. Is that the look you are going for? If you are dead set on drapes do an ivory linen or cotton, or even a subtle print (ie "eclectic" style), but silk shimmer? Ugh i feel a design dont coming on
    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked shiningautumn8
  • 10 years ago

    the toast would still go well with the pillows, do you want me to do a whole set?

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    Havingfun, Do a whole set?

  • 10 years ago

    Shiningautumn, I have no clue as to design does and don't so I will keep that in mind. Thank you. If you come across one that you think I should consider pls do share.

  • 10 years ago

    Okay, so what about this chandelier? Yea or Nea? It doesn't have light bulbs in so, the shades look lopsided. Also, please ignore the plastic table covering. It is to protect the table during renos.

    I have taken the suggestion of making the table smaller. The chairs in the corner will go downstairs for use when needed.

  • 10 years ago

    decoenthusiaste, what color credenza would you suggest? Should it be white to match the fireplace after it has been painted?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    For the dining room, why not try something like this from one of our various designs:

    Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
  • 10 years ago

    Michelle, I absolutely love the dining table. If I could afford to, I would buy something like that in a heartbeat but for budget reasons I have to stick with what we have...for now.


  • 10 years ago

    are you asking me to do a whole set or asking what i mean? I meant the pillow i put up with the rugs. or do you want different ones?

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago
    I think your table, chairs and chandelier look great. Very pretty. I wouldn't add much else to eating area. Very clean and open looking.
    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked shiningautumn8
  • 10 years ago

    The chandelier is a much better fit. It would work with your table when you expand the size as well.

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked katinparadise
  • 10 years ago

    I do like the couch you are considering. Yes, if you prefer silver it would be lovely as well. Good luck.

    Michelle Ash-Forget thanked Christy Reves
  • 10 years ago

    salayna, looks like things are moving, do you need me to work on something?

  • 10 years ago

    Havingfun, that would be awesome. I appreciate your help.

  • 10 years ago

    yes, but what do you want me to work on?