Software
Houzz Logo Print
pspeder

Should I paint stone wall in kitchen or rip out?

10 years ago

I want to update my kitchen and the red toned stone is not working with my color scheme. I plan to have my cabinets painted white and replace backsplash. Should I rip out stone or paint a lighter color?

Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago
    It looks beautiful in this picture. If that's real stone I wouldn't rip out or paint. Anxious to see other comments to see if there is a way to work with this stone. Perhaps painting cabinets something other than white?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I'm not a fan of fake stone and the stone dominates the space. The rough texture around the stove looks like a problem. I prefer clean and simple lines.

    All the best.


  • 10 years ago

    Clever, Mark, looks much better. I think it would be a long job dabbing with the A.S. brush!

  • 10 years ago
    I love that!! yes adds texture, tearing out stone might be more $ than a long weekend or 2 of chalk painting
  • 10 years ago

    Sledgehammers and beer.

  • 10 years ago

    you could have had a demo party as a drinking game during the debate.

  • 10 years ago
    Just FYI, the stone is real. Our house was built by a top custom builder in our area in 2001. If it were fake, no brained. I would have ripped it out already.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It would make me crazy but I think it depends on the style of kitchen you want to have , to tear it out will be a big job and messy .

  • 10 years ago

    I think paint it. A few shades darker than your cabinets, maybe a warm mushroom gray. Could keep a lot of character in the room, but I'd want to get my oven out of that alcove and maybe convert it into a picturesque hutch built-in...

  • 10 years ago

    If it isn't outrageously expensive ( relative term I know ) I'd have it removed. It looks odd to me, for some reason reminds me of theme parks or restaurants. If it bothers you you'll never be completely happy with your remodeled kitchen.

  • 10 years ago
    Would the Granite still go? What colour is it now? What about the rest of your home? Will white cabinets fit in?
  • 10 years ago

    Use mortar gray cabinetry and keep it!!! Its beautiful!

  • 10 years ago
    I would update the appliances and the backsplash and maybe paint and update the handles on the cabinets if $$$
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think the painted stone looks nice, although you're painting the grout also so it makes it look less real. Once you put in lighter cabinets, backsplashes, and paint

    you may find that the existing stone warms up the space. I'd wait to paint the stone until after you see how it works with the cabinets.

  • 10 years ago

    Absolutely no way would I consider for one second ripping that beautiful stone out! You have a very unique design element by leaving the stone and choosing complementary colors that will highlight this feature!! So many kitchens are alike in many ways but yours is set apart!

  • 10 years ago
    Why not try painting it first. I think it would be nice painted white (about the only color I would choose). I would paint the nearby cabinets white too.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Tear it out. There's something about that stone that doesn't look right. It has a bit of a cheap look. Maybe it's the dark grout?

  • 10 years ago

    I would look into changing the colour of the grout to a lighter, creamier colour. I wouldn't rip it out. Everyone's kitchen is identical.

  • 10 years ago
    I would think long and hard before you rip it out. You can just paint the grout too. I've done it before on floor tile. It wears like iron and completely changes the look. They carry grout paint in the big box stores.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Theme park...that was my first thought! Just because it's real, and I'm sure quite expensive in its day, does not make it attractive.

  • 10 years ago

    Well, I know I would certainly paint the stone first before I tore it out. Why have everybody else's kitchen, when you can have something unique. Only you can determine that. Drywall painted Revere Pewter...oh, the excitement, lol

  • 10 years ago

    Design Gems · More Info

    Design Gems · More Info

    Design Gems · More Info

    Painting will make it all so much better. NOT. It was a bad idea to try to make it look like a cemetery grotto to begin with and slapping some cheap craft paint on it isn't going to make it any better.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I can't see the rest of the kitchen, but I love the stone as it is. Have you thought about a taupe or gray for the cabinets. I know that currently white kitchens and gray or very popular, but there is something to be said for not being so trendy.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Here are some pretty colors for painted cabinets.
  • 10 years ago
    Love Susan's comments/ideas. Looks like you already use taupe in your home and taupe cabinets would be beautiful with the stone as is.