Software
Houzz Logo Print
anca_pause

Off Center Fireplace and TV Placement Dilemma.

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

We moved into our home about a year and a half ago and I am having trouble figuring out the best way to set up the living room, The main problems are placement of TV and off center fireplace. We have the sofa from our previous home and my husband wants to keep it. Here is my plan: minimize fire place by replacing mantel with a shorter and more modern one, cover brick with marble pieces, have a short built in console on the wall next to fire place and hang TV on the wall. TV over fireplace would not work because of the sofa placement and because my husband hates that. It would be nice to hear all ideas for best room set up. It's just such a tough room, because it is not symmetrical .


Comments (8)

  • 10 years ago

    TV next to fireplace will be much better for viewing from the longer length of the sofa. I would also remove the table from behind the short side. That will let you move it over so the short arm is framing instead of blocking the fireplace. Use a floor lamp to replace the table lamp so you still have lighting.

    By the way, I notice that you have no window coverings. I have found that many shows are shot in such low light that they are difficult to see. Even with window treatments, I need to watch Game of Thrones at night with lights off in order to actually see some parts of it.

    Anca Pause thanked catlady999
  • 10 years ago

    I love the FP as is but if its not your taste redo it. TV console to left of FP. TV can sit on it, doesn't have to be mounted. Center the sectional on that whole wall, which means move the glass top table and pull sofa down towards DR. Rug is too small. Get a chair for the area where the TV is now. And I agree window treatments would add a lot to this room. Some type of inside mount roman shade would look great!

    Anca Pause thanked jck910
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you, these are all good suggestions, some of which I have considered also. Inside mount Roman shades would not work, but outside out would. The inside window frame has a half inch depth only. Right now I have the sofa centered with the windows on that long back wall. That seemed to make the most sense. I like having the sofa table, and worry the back of the couch would look too bare without something there. But I will give it a try. Moving the sofa out towards the dining area might make even more sense when the TV is moved to the FP wall. TV is too large now because of the mantle (the top part is too wide). I would not mind the fireplace but I feel it overwhelms the room


  • 10 years ago

    So, if you remove the sofa table, you will lose lighting since there isn't any overhead lighting. I think a sofa table in that spot is fine.

    Anca Pause thanked shirlpp
  • 10 years ago

    One goal we have is to add in recessed lighting in the room at some point (soon hopefully). I do have a floor lamp that I could use, but again, I am thinking the view from the dining area will be bleak. ;-)

  • 10 years ago

    I really think part of the problem is making the sofa work in this space. If I move it back to make fireplace more visible, then it's off center with the windows... Argh! Also,the console we have now is too long to fit next to FP.

  • 10 years ago

    So right now, the sectional is off-center with the fireplace. It has to be off-centered with the fireplace or the windows...right? I think I'd prefer to enjoy the entire fireplace from the sectional. When you put up curtains, they might take care of the windows.