Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Who would you give a home renovation?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

NAHB 50+ Housing Award Winner · More Info


We spend so much time on Houzz looking for ideas and inspiration for our own homes, but if you could give someone you love (or someone meaningful to you) a home renovation, who would you choose and why?

Share your stories! (photos encouraged)

Comments (52)

  • 10 years ago

    My daughter and then her mother in law too, because she wants to turn a back dbl garage into a rental which would help as extra income,since she was laid off.


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would choose the people a few blocks away who's house's warm light illuminated the sky one evening as it burnt.

  • 10 years ago
    My friend and her family. He had Cancer several years ago, and though they got to keep their house through the ensuing bankruptcy, it needs a lot of work that they still can't afford to do. We were very blessed that my husband was able to continue working through his round with cancer.
  • 9 years ago

    My sister . She is 73 yrs. old and disabled. She lives on $1053 a month . Her house is old and needs a lot of repairs that she can not afford. He furnace went out last winter and she has not been able to have it repaired so it will be another cold winter with space heaters and blankets.

  • 9 years ago
    My mom. She has worked so hard to be the sole care giver for years for my family. She retired last year because her job was too physically demanding at her age. But since retiring, she has had one major expense happen after another (AC quit, hit a deer with her car, hail damage to her car, refrigerator problems, ruined tire on her car, health insurance issues). She was hoping to update her electrical (she still has fuses), replace the upstairs bathroom, put siding on her house, a new furnace, and drywall a bedroom. But these unexpected major expenses have taken all her extra savings. I want her to have a comfortable retirement.
  • 9 years ago
    My Daughter, she is a single Mom who's ex tore the home to pieces, quit a good paying job, pays nothing to support her or his children and now my daughter must pay him alimony while he lives back with his Mommy and Daddy.
    Would loce to attach a photo of him!
  • 9 years ago

    I would give the house to my cousin Rene, a single Mom who lives in a garage studio with her son(28) who is mentally and physically handicapped due a premature delivery. You would think that Hawaii is like paradise but its not really. Her studio/garage can only fit a cot and she sleeps in a recliner, so sad and she pays $800 for rent.

  • 9 years ago
    I would give a home renovation to a person who is living with cancer. I think a pleasant new surrounding can be healing and comforting.
  • 9 years ago

    My daughter and her family.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My son. He has a house that is so outdated from the 70's and needs a renovation soo bad. Money is very tight and he supports 3 children that's not even related so that they don't have to live in poverty.

  • 9 years ago

    My mother. The home she lives in is very dated in both design and especially functionality (early 60s ranch) for someone in their late 70s.She has been so caring her entire life that I couldn't think of anyone one more deserving.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My Mom and Dad. They built a home on the coast and lived in it 25 years. My Mom developed pancreatic cancer in 2012, four years later my Dad began feeling ill and was misdiagnosed three times. During the years, the salt air, age and illness took it's toll on the home. After 12 years in a corporate job, I left to spend more time and care for them. The home fills my soul with many happy memories and has been my only consistent anchor during 25 years of job relocations. With no employment, the renovations needed now are heavy on my mind yet exciting. A new roof, plumbing updates, frozen and closed windows that no longer work, hurricane straps, and exterior wood all needs addressing. Then there are just renovation updates (kitchen/bath/ 25 year old carpet). I cannot sell and have promised to keep in the family by passing it along to my nieces when I no longer live on this earth. My Mom and Dad are both gone. I will, somehow, find a way to fulfill my parent's wishes and remain where this old girl (and I) need a bit of a face lift.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Like margo... A severely disabled Veteran. There is no government support program that builds adapted smart homes that the people we send "over there" sometimes need when they get back home. These homes are very expensive, pose technical/building challenges that need real specialists, and take specific talent to build. Once built, though? These vets and their families get to live the highest quality, most "normal" lives possible.

    I've worked with a veteran's support charity on annual fundraising for several years- through a corporate program that also draws in folks from communities all over the country. The first two years were all about smart, adapted homes.

    Gary Sinise- yep, Lt. Dan!- plus his foundation was a partner. He's the real deal- acted as the GC for all of them. He's not just a figurehead/celebrity. Works his tail off for vets.

    As the charity I work with moved focus (other mobility things for disabled vets, like retrofitted vehicles and respite care) Sinise has continued as a partner and to expand his own work through his R.I.S.E program- Restoring Independence, Supporting Empowerment. Donations, big and small, are what powers this.

    https://www.garysinisefoundation.org/programs/rise

    If I had the "poof" power to do it? Smart home for a disabled vet and family.

  • 9 years ago

    No question. Our mother who has miraculously survived an aggressive stage 3 triple negative, brca1 positive bilateral breast cancer only to be left with debilitating health issues as a result of an overdose of chemotherapy 26 years ago. After going on disability and earning only $12,000 annually she used her retirement to build Rhode Island's first strawbale home. She had always wanted a home like her German grandmothers waddle and daub home, built be her grandfather. Then I was diagnosed with the same aggressive cancer just last year at the same young age. The remaining money she had to finish the interior of her little home went towards $30,000 + of medical bills I was responsible for. My mom founded and ran RI's only free nonprofit center dedicated to supporting and celebrating women with cancer and their families for nearly 20 years voluntarily never drawing a salary. She has done, and continues to do so much for others and it breaks my heart to see her in this position.

    Our amazing mom, that's who we would vote to help.

    Meg and Cara M.

  • 9 years ago

    My son and his family. They currently live in a two story house they bought before their second child ,my granddaughter, was born severely visually impaired with microphthlamia Coloboma. She is the cutest eight month old baby girl that will be crawling and walking soon. I would want their house renovated to accommodate her needs and safety to function as a blind person.

  • 9 years ago

    I feel like it would have to be somebody who you knew direly needed help, as for anybody else it would feel like a passive-aggressive way to say that you don't like their current style.

  • 9 years ago

    Um, me. Rather desperate need in a house that Jack built with no way to do even some essentials. I would looooovvvvvve it. And anyone who could really use it, as in some of the comments above.

  • 9 years ago
    I'd do that for my 89 Daddy who is still living on his own! He has stayed there after caring for my Mom so faithfully during her years of be bedridden. His home is a simple 1940's home. He loves to make violins as a hobby, indoors in a bedroom he also uses as a sitting room, tv viewing!
    His kitchen needs help since it has original tile. The kitchen also houses the washing machine but the dryer is outside in his garage! There is a screened in porch that would be a better place for his violin making but there is no ac there. The rest of the house uses two window ac/heat pump units.
    He's always doing for others, as best he can at his age! Nothing would make me happier than seeing him in a home, that isn't in so much need!
    Here he is with one of the violins he has given away!
  • 9 years ago

    I would give it to my daughter and son- in- law for so so many reasons. They had a cosy 800 square foot 90+ year old bungalow in the city. They had 4 chickens and the most amazing garden ever, like a tall jungle that supplied a lot of their food for the year. They then decided to foster children and the very small house didn't really provide the space required to take more than one child. So they went hunting for an acreage that they could afford. They are now 30 minutes out of the city. Although the price is manageable the expenses were quite a shock. My daughter had to find a full time job and is sad not to be able to care full time for the foster baby they have right now although they have great daycare. The property is old and the problems and the expenses they have occurred have been quite disheartening at times. The things to make it workable is a long list. The house that they live in was built around the seventies and it needs a total redo. But their time and $$$ is in very short supply. I would love to see the kitchen and bathrooms updated and the house redecorated. I think it would give them a real boost because so many days Im sure they must think about how their dream has taken such a turn.

  • 9 years ago

    I would give a Home Renovation to my son who is a self employed, single dad. He works 6-7 days a week and just doesn't have time to do upgrades on his house.

    His Mom

  • 9 years ago

    I would like to give a home renovation to a vet disabled (physically or emotionally PTSD, etc) and thus discharged from the Armed Forces as unfit for active duty. Doesn't matter which one but should be the one that is most in need of the 'first' renovation (hoping somewhere a corporate someone would recognize a worthy cause and set up a program to do this at least annually). As in the USA, Canada provides zippety-do-dah for these brave people that fight to protect the innocent of this world. When they can no longer fight (the Forces don't even consider alternate suitable assignment) they are dropped into a bottomless pit of the 'no longer useful'. The Government supplies nothing and cares not to the point that they are reducing benefits for those that fought in WWII even though their numbers are rapidly declining simply because of their age. (In cases where vets have mobility issues simply being able to get from one room to another, getting their own meals and bathing are impossible). Being able to live a home life as normally as possible, to play with your children, to have a bath, to have your loved ones not worry about you while they work their butts off to feed the family and pay the day to day bills, it is financially impossible and crippling to them. If I could pay for even one myself I would. I think I would love a meal and a bath without presenting a burden to my family.

  • 9 years ago

    I would give the home renovation to me. I've been in this home for 15yrs. Bought as a fixer upper but didn't realize the cost to renovate. I'm exhausted financially and mentally. New roof, windows/doors, hvac system and no funds for siding and updating the inside....well now I'm approaching retirement and can't see that I'll every fix it up at the rate I'm going. Would love to come home a see a complete nest. By the way I'm not a selfish person, I help others all the time, but would just like something for me to enjoy.

  • 9 years ago

    Well, I'm imagining that every mom would love see her son get some much needed work done on a house he and his wife purchased through a foreclosure. They had a flood and lost a lot stored in the basement when the floor cracked. I live with them and I wish I could make things easier.

    But, on another side of a page ~ there is another situation that causes me to wonder why we're so behind in things that should matter to all of us. We all grow old and some of will need care and concern.

    I read about the wonderful things the Netherlands is doing with nursing homes; renovating them into exciting backgrounds that make for much needed changes. They also have younger adults living with these seniors for free cost when they help with their residents, a few hours of their time; how beautiful is that concept.

    Street looking halls, brighter lighting and conditions other than what I saw my mother go through in two different homes. I was forced to put my Mum in a nursing home by the state because she was frequently taken to emergency department with a stroke-like condition. Regardless, if I could have seen her last years without unnecessary injuries and a much happier surrounding I would have changed it ~ in a minute.

    Now, at age 83, I think about staying well and away from such a bleak ending to life.

    These people are farmed into institutions "for their well-being"....and, nothing could be further from truth!

    Yet, in the Netherlands, people are thinking of people ~ and making a change in living.

    Carole Mason

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would like to renovate for the people getting on their feet who live in my upstairs rooms. They can't afford rent, and I charge them nothing for living here, but they have to provide their own food - which they do. We share the kitchen, living and dining rooms and the laundry room - and they share the chores. It's been a great "new start" for a lot of folks. Once I became disabled and retired, my 100 year old home was far too large for me and I'm such an extrovert...so I started helping people who just needed a safe place to stay while they got back on their feet or got started. I base my offer of a place to live on their story and character (i.e., I get to know them before I offer). IP has now moved to another state where he got his first engineering job (after a year between school and career). The couple and their son who were fighting for custody of his infant daughter, finally won in Superior Court, and now live in their own home. My two current roommates - TJ is an Iraqi vet who is attending online school and IC is a recovering alcoholic who is doing very well, here in a stable, secure, safe home. I live on the main floor and they have the upstairs bedrooms (there are three bedrooms up there, so I actually have a "guest room" at the moment). But the upstairs needs new windows and screens, new carpet (it's clean, but who knows how old it was when I moved in - and it hasn't been replaced), paint, and some finishing. Sure wish I had the money and the ability to do it for them - the folks who are here now and those to come!

    ADDITIONAL NOTE: Since writing this, a woman from another state is coming to town for surgery and her mother and two children will be staying in my "guest room" for a few days. But once they're gone, I have a lot of work to do for the wedding and reception of a gal who lives in poverty and disability - with the love of her life...finally....after a hard life! I live well below the poverty line, myself - but I was wise enough to make sure everything but my house was paid off before I retired, so I'm just fine with that. I don't need for anything - but so many people do. Just yesterday....I'll just say that my house is recognized as a peaceful, safe, affirming place where people come to rest and sometimes to heal a bit - even if they can only be here a few hours...they say they leave feeling better than when they arrived. I LOVE being able to be part of this, at 63 years old!

  • 9 years ago

    I would renovate my mother's home. She has been on disability for 27 years so she has not had any money to repair things as they happen. She also just needs basic changes for safety. Her kitchen is set up for a taller person and she has never really been able to cook without stressing her back. Her bathroom has a tub/shower which is not really safe for her anymore and she has always preferred taking a shower so I would make sure she had a shower stall only so that she could just walk into the shower without worrying about getting into a tub. She has a room that is supposed to be the Master, but it is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter because it has this weird giant window. I would replace that with a set of French doors that is well insulated so that she could enjoy the light still but have more control of the temperature. Anything that she could receive would make me happy because I would like her to have a comfortable life, especially as she has been slowing down now because of her health.

  • 9 years ago

    I would renovate my son and daughter-in-laws house. They live in one of the oldest houses in town. They have 4 daughters whom they adopted. They got their foster home license and took in children when these girls came up for adoption they adopted them. The foundation of their home is made of granite and stone so when it rains water comes into the basement and it has to be pumped out. They have torn out the kitchen completely and found there was no insulation. They plan to put it back together as they can afford to and can find the time. Right now they have no kitchen at all. The stove did not work so they took that out I think they do have a fridge but that is it. The whole kitchen is stripped out no flooring or walls. My son is a medic and the head of the ambulance service in a neighboring town. When he is not working he is teaching an EMT class and when he is not teaching he is coaching the high school football team where he went to school. They never seem to have money to buy the things they need for the house because they still take in children who need a place to stay for awhile or they take a baby quite often because the mother of the baby is always calling because she has no formula or diapers so they go and get her for however long need be and they buy her clothes as well as food and formula. At thanksgiving and Christmas they always do up baskets and gifts for children. They always think of others before themselves. If I mention that they need something or maybe they should not give so much to others they just says oh we'll be okay. My son went to school to become a teacher. He did teach for awhile and then became an EMT and a medic. Whenever anyone needs help he is right there to help. I just think it would be nice for them to get a little help especially for the girls.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would give a home renovation to my daughter and her family. She began working occasionally with DD (developmentally disabled) Adults at age 15. She spent time working for an organization teaching various classes and went to college, as there were things she thought could be improved to enrich their lives. She just graduated with a BA at age 40, and is hoping to start a business using her passion and talents to enhance this same population. In addition she and her husband are raising 2 boys, and have a daughter who is in college. My daughter suffers from a life altering disease whcih makes it difficult for her to work for others, albeit not impossible. My grandsons each have health issues. They struggle as many young families today to make ends meet, yet she has a positive attitude and a grateful heart. My son-in-law, who does woodworking was in a bad accident and struggles to continue to work. There is little time or money for themselves. She loves gardening and hopes to eventually expand the workshops to include horticulture, yoga (she is a credited instructor), and various other interesting topics to the schedule for her potentially new clients. A renovation would be a miracle dream come true:)

  • 9 years ago
    My sister-in-law. She and her husband work really hard raising 5 boys and they live in a home owned by her in-laws. It's in bad shape with asbestos, cabinets falling apart in the kitchen, and a giant hole in the backyard where there used to be a pool that is now just filled with dangerous debris. They are such a sweet family, but they just don't have the money to fix that house or get a new one.
  • 9 years ago

    My youngest child (38) lives in Chicago with his wife. They have recently purchased a "brown stone" house. It seems they have definitely, accidentally selected a house which requires more renovation than they able to give the time and expertise to. It is a lovely house, and could be a lovely home. My impression is that much must be completed before the Chicago winters begin. The house has every potential of becoming not only functional but in the style of yesterday combined with today. Not only would this be a gift of house renovation, but a gift of the future for them but realizing the potential in turning a house into a home.
















  • 9 years ago

    I would give it my daughter and her husband in Independence, KS. They are a hard working couple with college loans, two young daughters, and an active schedule that keeps them from doing the things they need to on their home. This couple's life is serving others. He is a track/cross country coach that gladly opens his home to his athletes (approx. 40 +) every year; and the two of them feed this group a couple of times each year because these students are so far from home. Thanksgiving is truly a time for giving thanks, they have always provided a traditional meal (at their own expense over the past 9-10 years) to so many young people who appreciate a home cooked meal for the holiday. She is a Nurse Practitioner who recently passed her boards and has only been in practice about a year now. They bought an older home almost 10 years ago when they first move to Kansas hoping, as a young couple does, to start a family and to update the house to make it their dream home. But life goes on, finishing their degrees, working to support themselves, and two children later... It is a good house, but as with older homes, there are many challenges to making it fit a modern family. They really need a whole house renovation, updating the ball-knob electric, kitchen is really, really outdated and even has a metal sink cabinet, no deck/back porch for entertaining, the two young daughters that could use a make over in their bedrooms, and generally the house just needs some TLC throughout. This young couple is very deserving and I would love to see something paid forward to them.

  • 9 years ago

    I would help my sister get her home renovated. Her home is out dated she has no furnace, drainage and linking problems, needs new windows and flooring. This house was built by our grandparents who lived there until they moved then gave to our mom who left it to my sister. When mom was sick and couldn't be left alone my sister retired early to stay home and take care of her. My sister has lived in this house her whole life (60 years), she never married and has no children. Little work had been done to this house throughout the years to keep it functioning as it should. My sister lives alone on a limited income and has had some heath issues, and does not have the funds to do any of the work needed on her home. It would be nice to see her living in a decent updated home.

  • 9 years ago
    I would do it for my mom. She's 74 yrs old on a fixed income, she still has a morgage and I have an adopted sister whose 15 and it's a cuff struggle to raise her, pay bills and just live life. So yes I would do it for her.
  • 9 years ago

    My son, Elliott. He's just been through a tough few years where he was able to finish his masters degree while being the sole caregiver of his 6 year old son, Gideon. He is in social work so, doesn't make alot of money and his home (a foreclosure property) needs a total overhaul. Plumbing issues left some wall damage, trim torn out and never replaced, ancient flooring and fixtures and utilities. We've helped with some things but, it feels like a band-aid when it needs major surgery!

  • 9 years ago

    There are such beautiful people here who have written loving stories about family and friends. It's absolute kindness from mind and heart. I'm deeply touched by all these writings; in a way it restores faith. I see it as a message of hope; people are still out there ~ who care about someone other than themselves.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would give it to my mother!

    She lives on a fixed income of 980. a month. She is living in a trailer that she rents and is falling apart.

    She raised all five of us and my youngest brother past away due to alcohol addiction and committed suicide. She is a recovering alcoholic with 25 years of sobriety. She didn't even have the first drink when he passed away. I couldn't even imagine losing one of my kids.

    She has struggled all her life and worked hard to pay the bills the best she could to support all of us.

    She has Parkinson's disease and lives alone. We all try to help as much as we can, but we are all living in different states except myself, and I'm still 2 hours away from her.

    It would be awesome to give her a house and built closer to where I live, which is Aberdeen, NC. or have an addition to our own home just for her. A Nanny suit with her own kitchen, bedroom,bathroom, and living room.

    We certainly have the space for an addition just for her.

    We are remodeling our kitchen and bedroom within the next month, but have not hired a builder as of yet.

    My husband and I are refinancing and just waiting to close in the next few days. I wish we had the financial freedom to have her own Nanny Suite addition added to our home or on the property.

    I know she would be greatful, as all of her kids would be as well, and at the same time give us all piece of mind.

    My mom and I

  • 9 years ago

    My Mom and brother desperately need a renovation at their little country shack. After my father died my Mom moved to a small country house in rural PA. She has gotten older and was unable to keep up on it over the last several years so my brother who was already helping her make ends meet, purchased it. Of course Mom ended up staying as she couldn't get by anywhere else on such meager income from SS and did not want to leave the state to live with any of her other children who were just getting by themselves. Hard times and inconsistent employment left my brother scraping by and repairs even necessary things like roof repair have been neglected or put off until affordable which could be never. Winter is coming and I worry it could collapse or leak on my Mom. The rest of the house could certainly use help as far as updating into this century but that would be the frosting and beyond basic needs. Some people as satisfied with so little and give thanks, it is those that deserve the most in my opinion.

  • 9 years ago
    We did a complete renovation for a military family 2 yrs ago. The response from the family was absolutely priceless!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The Title isn't a complete sentence. It doesn't make sense without the pronoun 'to'.

  • 9 years ago

    My sister. She and her family own a 280-year-old colonial home (may be older now), but they have no money for renovations. The house could use a lot and be a spectacular historical home in their town.

  • 9 years ago

    My son, Dustin. He inherited a mobil home a few years ago . Everything is wrong with he. The windows are horrible, the snow caved in his roof on his bedroom. Everything is just old ,falling apart, or ugly. He just wanted his own place so he moved in. He's been trying to do things on his own and done a wonderful job. Dustin is a helper. You need help he will be there do anything for you. He will not as for help for himself. We can't sneak and give him money. He's a very proud young man. heartbreaking , yet I get it at the same time.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm a 70 year old lady who lives in a house that is nearly 100 years old. It is badly in need of many repairs and updates both inside and out and I simply can't afford to do any of them. It becomes more and more stressful each and every year. So, I would give myself that gift. It would make me happy, take away some of the stress, lower my blood pressure and give me a little peace of mind in my declining years.

    You can't save the world, I think we should save ourselves first.

  • 9 years ago

    I too, wish I could do so much more for my family. I never thought I'd have to give up my own independence and live with my son, his wife and family. With the small amount I receive monthly, I can only help a bit and, of course, they have many repairs and work to be done on this home. I'm sure of one thing; there are countless stories out there like ours. I spoke of change and renovation with senior living because ~ sooner or later, some will have to end life in one of them. The Netherlands seem to be concerned about these people and is changing final years of lifestyle for them. Too bad someone always seems to be left out of the mainstream in life. No, we can't save the world ~ it would be refreshing if we could take a stand on seeing America become the country it once was....when I was growing up.

  • 9 years ago

    I would love to see my church get a renovation . It needs so much TLC and I have done so much help in the past 3 years and I'm very ill and can only do so much now. It brakes my heart see such a building in such sad shape.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    There are a lot of big-hearted people here, love the comments about truly deserving people.

    Here's an idea: why not help those people that you've recognized here--elderly can get help through local programs for heater/ac repairs and more, disabled and veterans too. You can enlist your relatives, friends, neighbors of those you mentioned to get together to pitch in to do work and carry costs on things not covered by local programs.

    Check with Habitat for Humanity too, for bigger jobs, some local offices help those over 62, who own their homes and are low income. Pick up the phone book and start letting your fingers do the walking to find programs.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Anyone who is in obvious need and deserves it.

    My family home was in great need of renovations however with 4 younger kids and only my father working things were unaffordable and never got done. We eventually lost it. But I always wanted to see my parents dreams come true.

  • 9 years ago
    i would give our good friends got marrird 2 years ago and had to place their house renivatio on hold, to help out his ailing mother. They recently moved her into their home, as she deals with alzheimers. They are in need of a new bathroom for her, so she does not trip and fall or forget to step out of the bathroom. They are a great couple who really value and the power of love and family.
  • 9 years ago
    I would give one to my mom. She opens he doors to whomever may need a place to lay their heads. Whether 4 days or 4 months, she's there. She kept my children for months during a divorce and never complained how the boys have practically remodeled her home and not in a good way.
  • 9 years ago

    I would definitely give a home renovation to my daughter and son-in-law. They are fairly new home owners and have many projects planned to update and modernize their property. With two children under five years old, I'm afraid this is going to be a lifelong endeavor.

  • 9 years ago

    My little sister, who after losing 2 husbands and 1 boyfriend to cancer and after losing her job, moved to the Atlanta area, rebuilt her life and bought her first house. It is a small 1930's bungalow. Although her budget was small, hard work enabled her to rebuild her life. Then she brought an ailing senior friend in to live with her. The octogenarian suffers from cancer and was quite lonely. My sister who has known her for years told me she wanted her to be happy for her last months of life.