Software
Houzz Logo Print
vickiannb

Downsizing

9 years ago

Moving in a few years to retirement community.. Will loose about half the space we now have. Apartment will have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, one great room that includes kitchen, dining and living areas.

Comments (8)

  • 9 years ago

    Well, good for you. Hope it all goes OK.

  • 9 years ago

    In a few years? Great, then you have lots of time to begin your downsizing and decluttering, will cut back on the stress of an actual move.

    We helped Mother move from 1350 square ft 3/2 into an 850 sq ft apartment a year ago. We had two months notice, and could have used more as she found the process very painful. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but everything she owned became a 'treasure'. The decisions of what to keep and what to sell, donate, dispose of were difficult and it took a lot of patience, encouragement to accomplish the work.

    On the other hand, about the same time, I was talking to a couple who had sold their large home and moved into a 2/2 in a retirement community (two bedrooms, two baths). What she told me was: ' There were so many things I had owned, enjoyed and loved and it was time for someone else to appreciate them. I no longer needed them. ' 0:)

  • 9 years ago

    Terrible think to look forward to in retirement!. Another reason I never become an AARP member. AARP seem to use younger actors on their commercials and models on their print ads now. I am guessing when people get into assisted living environment, they drop AARP.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I disagree that it's a "terrible thing". Denying aging is foolish. Every day you're alive is something to celebrate.

    When my MIL sold her long-time home, it comforted her that some of the bigger items were taken by her family, who actually drove down with a van and picked them up. She left the downsizing logistics to us. All she took were her clothes, some photos, and the urn with her DH's ashes.

    She was quite thrilled to receive a check for $800 from the estate liquidator we used. She liked the idea that her old stuff had found a home with people who wanted it.

    I'm a member of AARP and have been since I turned 50. Their magazine has a lot of interesting and useful articles. Afterwards I donate them to one of the senior facilities where they disappear immediately, LOL.

    As long as I can read I see no reason to drop my subscription. AARP is a major political voice for seniors and elders. I think that's critically important, especially these days.

    Many people seem to think going into AL means giving up your life. It doesn't. We moved MIL after 7 yrs with us, to an AL facility. She didn't want to go at first but changed her mind in less than a month. She LOVED it there: friendly people, nice staff, good food, a comfortable studio with all the housekeeping taken care of for her, with a beautiful view of the hills where we lived just 10 min away.

    We plan to downsize ourselves when this house/garden get too much for us. The less clutter, the better, as one ages.

  • 9 years ago

    We are in our early 60's We made the move to a condo by the beach which is only ten minutes from our previous home. I love the ease of keeping a smaller home, as I'm out and about daily. Life is wonderful. We have beautiful gardens surrounding the property. There is nothing like the smell of cut grass especially if its done my someone else. LOL... Embrace ageing, keep healthy and remember the things you have accumulated over the years are just that, stuff. You will never miss the many items that have been hiding in a cupboard for years anyway.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Wishing you good luck on your move. You said you still have a couple more years in your current space. Maybe start slowly selling or donating anything you don't absolutely need so when the move does come it will be easier.

  • 9 years ago

    We're still in our 40's and did that 10 months ago -- dropped from 4k sq ft to 1k (just under). We walk to and from work instead of spending 3+ hours per day commuting. Our weekends are are no longer taken up by construction projects, yard work, or cleaning. There is so much more to life. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have! (And yes, its very hard to let go of the "stuff" -- and the memories attached to it -- but the sense of loss that comes with letting go of it all does get better with time, I promise!)

  • 9 years ago

    Rather than evoking a 'sense of loss', I found downsizing to be a liberating experience!! One gets a feeling of freedom releasing all that 'stuff' (as George Carlin liked to call it) that often just serves to tie us down and complicate our lives. I kept only what was necessary and those items that had strong family ties or a few treasures I just couldn't part with. I would guess that I sold or gave away 75% of my 'stuff' when I downsized from a two story, 1500sf family home and large garden to a 650sf beachside cottage. I have never regretted the loss of any of it!!

    I do think however that the process is far less distressing and traumatic if it is a personal choice and not something thrust on you due to health issues or financial pressures. In my case, financial issues did apply to some degree - after my divorce and a change in jobs, I no longer had the financial resources (or the desire) to devote to the maintenance and upkeep of a larger older home, not to mention the attention my large and complicated garden demanded, and opted out of homeownership and to a rental home. That too was a liberating decision - all that upkeep and maintenance is now someone else's worry!! I still garden but on a much smaller scale and with a focus on portability (containers!!).

    When my widowed mom became ill in her mid 80's and it was necessary to downsize her living arrangements, it was NOT smooth sailing!! She was reluctant to accept the need or to give up any of her treasures but it was just no longer safe or practical for her to live on her own and there was no way she could have continued to adequately maintain her home and garden. Although she was safe and secure in a brand new and extremely attractive AL apartment with many of her belongings to furnish it, it was not "home" to her and the adjustment was hard.

    I guess the moral to my story is that if one anticipates a future need to downsize, do it sooner by choice, before you are forced to by other issues. It can truly provide a brand new and very freeing, recharged outlook on life!

    Did I mention that I don't regret giving up most of my 'stuff'?? LOL!!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative Custom Closet Designer Servicing Franklin County