Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_tate

Reveal - NYC bathroom

Katrina Tate
7 years ago

This started out as a cosmetic upgrade but morphed into a gut renovation. We moved out for a couple of months since living through it was not an option.

Background details are here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3490660/i-think-my-kitchen-design-is-finished-any-suggestions

Old bathroom

Demo

New bathroom

Empire Tribeca console sink & 60 Wyndam Acclaim

Hansgrohe Metris S faucets

Delta Arzo 1701 rain shower with handheld

Kohler toilet

Novita bidet seat

Kohler medicine cabinet

Kohler Levity sliding shower doors

WAC lights + Modern Forms Chill sconce over 60" vanity

Bennett 3 light bar over Empire sink

Comments (64)

• nycbluedevil_gw
    7 years ago

Really nice. What are the floor tiles?

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Loved seeing this!! What is the interesting looking cut-out on the right, shown in the final picture? Also - I loved seeing the door proportions (stiles and rails) - they just seem right on the door into the bathroom :)

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

Just amazing. I had to look at the pictures a few times to take it all in. Such a clever use of your space. I love the grate in your final picture covering your (rusty) pipes in the wall. How do you like your shower door? Is it okay to turn on the water in your shower?

Imagine having a linen cabinet in that area along with a two person vanity! Looks great.

• roarah
    7 years ago

I love everything! The shower door is perfect! Really nice job.

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

very lovely. I remember the hamper in the NYC bathrooms and the pipes too.

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

Beautiful !

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Beautiful job

• leemiller
    7 years ago

Came out great, enjoy!!

• sahai6
    7 years ago

Katrina,

Beautiful job!

I am in the process of renovating my powder room. I will love to get a bidet toilet.

As I do not have bidet seat currently in my home, so please excuse me for my ignorance. Does a person have to buy a bidet seat separately and then attach to the commode or does the entire commode come with the bidet seat?

Thank you,

Mindy

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

nycbluedevil_gw The floor tiles are 24 x 12 porcelain "Concrete Pub" per the receipt

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

oldbat2be that is a grille to cover the old bathroom pipes. Or did you mean the mirror in the middle? That is a recessed cabinet with a mirror.

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Karenseb We love the shower doors. The both slide so turning on the water is the same as before.

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sahai6 We purchased the bidet seat separately and a toilet with no seat.

• sahai6
    7 years ago

Katrina,

I was not aware that toilet can be bought without a seat. I guess you always learn something new:-)

Did your plumber install the bidet seat? Do you mind sharing the model for the toilet and bidet seat?

Thank you,

Mindy

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Toto sells many of the toilets without seats. There are also sell full toilets that have bidets. I have a Toto Carlyle and I used the S300 series on my toilets. Do be careful as some toilets don't have the necessary shape for a washlet to fit over them. Toto lists some toilets that are incompatible with their seats on their website. From a general perspective, you want the seat to be the same size as the toilet, elongated versus round toilets.

Good luck!

• Jeannine
    7 years ago

That is awesome!

My aunt's old building (around 2nd and 46th) had bathrooms with that same hamper. What a blast from the past!

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sahai6 Yes, the plumber installed everything. The toilet is Kohler K-3987-0
    White Wellworth Dual Flush and the seat is Novita BH-93

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

Katrina,

Are those under mount sinks? Do you know the exact model?

• enduring
    7 years ago

Very nice bathroom ! Love it all !

I've had that same seat for about 3 or so years. I have the remote mounted on the side of my vanity next to the toilet. I used command strips.

• sahai6
    7 years ago

Thanks Katrina. I really appreciate it.

Mindy

• PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    7 years ago

What a difference! It looks great

• 2LittleFishies
    7 years ago

Looks beautiful! Congrats

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Karenseb Unfortunately, no I don't know the model. They are undermount sinks that came with the vanity.

• sahai6
    7 years ago

I am just curious to know what is the purpose of remote control for bidet seat?

Mindy

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sahai6 It controls the functions of the seat. We have yet to touch the controls on the actual seat.

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Deborah G. Shower doors

• Lisa
    7 years ago

Katrina, your bathroom is beautiful! If you see this, I have a couple questions.

We are considering the Levity doors. Do you like them after using them a while still? I am going back and forth between the Levity and Revel doors. I like the look of the Levity more, but the Revel has thicker glass.

Also, I don't see any handles in your pictures. I'm assuming you got the door with the upright handles instead of the towel bars and I just can't see them. I think I read they were just glued on or something like that. Are they secure?

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lisa

Thanks! I do like the shower doors but they are hard to keep clean despite the "ClearCoat".

Yes, we have the upright handles. I specifically didn't want towel bars to cover any of the fabulous tile work. The handles are peel & stick (back to back) and are very secure. We've had no issues with the doors or handles since moving back in over 6 months ago.

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I went to scrub the grout (cleaning lady is on vacation) and discovered there is no grout under the saddle. Is this a huge problem to be concerned about?

I reached out the the contractor last week and didn't hear back yet, despite the 1 year warranty.

• roarah
    6 years ago

I think it was meant to be done with silicone caulk due to change of plane. Is there water proofing on the frame? If it were mine I would want to know if there was water damage and or mold under the tile and marble before properly caulking it though.

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

roarah Yep, there is waterproofing. I was here when it was done. I didn't even think about needing silicone. We have leftover gray & white grout but not silicone. It seems simple enough to do that myself though & it's not something anyone will see.

• roarah
    6 years ago

Let the area dry out for a few days maybe before sealing...

• localeater
    6 years ago

Katrina I am wondering about your wall mount towel tree. Do you recall make/model? Are you happy with it? I looked at a similar one but thought the projections were short and was concerned the towels would fall off.

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

localeater It's Smedbo Swivel hook, Silver FK630. We are happy with it; however, the towels do fall off sometimes (hubby thinks 5-6 times, about 4 times for me). It's not annoying enough to get towel bars though. I just went in and swiveled the hooks slightly so the towels are not lined up under one another to see it that helps. It didn't bother us enough to make that change until just now. We moved back about 10 months ago so maybe once per month a towel falls off.

• localeater
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for the info

• thatsmuchbetter
    6 years ago

wood curbs can twist and turn

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The contractor came back to add waterproof silicone to the threshold. He offered to use grout or silicone & we picked silicone.

• Lisa
    6 years ago

Katrina,

EDIT: Actually, don't worry about this now, because I think I figured out our problem. :-)

If you have a chance, would you mind taking a close-up of the bottom of the doors where they overlap in the middle? I don't see the center glide in your pictures. We just "finished" installing these doors last night and it seems wrong. The outside door is supposed to set on the center glide, but it doesn't fit there, so it is tilted to the outside and not level.

Glad you got your issue fixed!

• palomalou
    6 years ago

Katrina Tate, do you recommend your contractor? If so, could you share the name? Thanks!

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

palomalou As I've told a few neighbors, no, I do not recommend him if you have no knowledge of construction & materials and if you don't have time to check on them every day. They did a lot of things wrong that I caught early enough to have it fixed including ripping out drywall they put in the shower (replaced with cement board).

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

amazing transformation

Katrina Tate thanked Designer Drains
  • Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

True Barn door from Rustica Hardware

ordered unfinished & with no texture

• brie44
    6 years ago

Your old bathroom looks so similar to my nyc prewar coop!!! This came out beautiful! I have the same steam pipes that I would like to box in and add a vent or grill to still allow for heat. What did your contractor do to box them in? Any insulation needed? Is the heat still enough to keep you warm?

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

brie44 No, he did not use any insulation They just framed around the pipes and used the custom grilles that I ordered. It's literally hot in our bathroom, always has been. The enclosed pipes didn't change a thing about the functioning of the heat.

• nessabea
    6 years ago

Considering same shower door with same room configuration. How inconvenient is it to have only one moving panel? Do you get wet turning the water on before you go in? My alcove has an opening of 46-47 inches...thanks!

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nessabea I am just seeing this. Sorry. It's not inconvenient since the sink always blocked the access from that side of the shower. No, I've never gotten wet when turning on the water.

• Jess TKA
    5 years ago

Hi Katrina. Sorry to ask on an old post but since it was already recently revived... How are you feeling about your Wyndham vanity and top now that you've used it a couple years? Is it holding up well? Is the cabinet finish a "plastic coated" feel like I've seen some in big box stores or a nice baked on painted wood finish? (Hope that makes sense.) Has the marble top survived daily use without excessive pampering? One more question if you'd be so kind - do the gray floor tiles show all dust and hair or does it hide pretty well? Thank you!

• Katrina Tate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jess TKA I do not love the Wyndham vanity but it's not bad enough yet to replace. I noticed some cracks in finish of the doors which would require taking off the doors. Wyndham Collection offered to replace the drawers on the vanity but it's not something we wanted to deal with. The top is fine with no issues. I do not pamper the top at all.

The gray tiles are fantastic! They don't show a lot of dust or hair.

• Jess TKA
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for the quick response and honest feedback. I truly appreciate it!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!