Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbouchard37

Backsplash Ideas Needed (20-something design novice, pics in comments)

mbouchard37
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello design experts!

I recently finished painting my Washington DC condo in a calm, neutral gray (Morning Fog by Sherwin Williams). The kitchen has never had a backsplash and I am looking for designs but am overwhelmed! The kitchen is galley style with cherry cabinets and black granite counters- relatively dark so I'm hoping something lighter to lighten it up! Will also install under cabinet lights beforehand FYI. My original thought was white/gray mosaic tile or marble tile with dark grout, but welcome any thoughts or expertise!!

Thanks for your help!

-Matt

Comments (118)

• Rita Seymour
    7 years ago

I would investigate the new wallpapers. Fabulous patterns are available and you can peel it off and replace with something new when your style changes. They are a bit expensive but you wouldn't need much.

• jvicktwin
    7 years ago

I think your kitchen needs some color. I would pick out a large beautiful print and pull one of the colors out for the small backsplash area . Being a hairdresser I just prefer adding some cheerful colors ...

• jvicktwin
    7 years ago

another option for backsplash to add some texture and a little complimentary color:)

• jvicktwin
    7 years ago

Pair the oceanic mosaic backsplash with a modern abstract mainly black/white... w a touch of the blue and you're done!

• momcatvickie
    7 years ago

Remove the 4" granite splash and try a pale gray glass (2x6 or larger) subway tile to play off the wall color. Too much stone makes things "heavy". The reflective quality of the glass adds a different finish, reflects light and "lightens up" the darkness of your kitchen. Color is easy. Add colorful (coral?) accessories, kitchen linens and/or wall decor.

• Toni McCormick
    7 years ago

I think everyone's input scared him off

• jvicktwin
    7 years ago

lol if you don't want advice.... don't ask cause folks love to help!

• Tilley Russell
    7 years ago

Home Depot has a stainless steel peel and stick product that I've used, (but I added extra glue to help stick and you may need to do so, or prep your receiving surface accordingly). You can run vertical to give illusion of height, or check out the other pattern ideas. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Aspect-Long-Grain-3-in-x-6-in-Metal-Decorative-Wall-Tilein-Brushed-Bronze-8-Pack-A52-53/204500394

• PRO
    Harkey Tile and Stone and Custom Closets
    7 years ago
    Better to remove 4" granite splash. A light gray tile in glass or handmade look tile in gloss. Both will provide reflection of light and contrast to dark tops and cabinets. Grout should be same color as tile so it disappears.
  • Mary Bishop
    7 years ago

We used tin squares for our dark kitchen.

• Sheila Greene
    7 years ago
    Remove the backsplash granite. Use a multicolored glass tile with reflective quality. Paint the wall with a color in the glass tile.
  • wrightshar2023
    7 years ago

I think a glass tile backsplash in pale colors--maybe white, copper, & palest gray--would be perfect for your kitchen. A glass backsplash will brighten the entire space, reflecting the lighting in the room. Good luck. Your kitchen is beautiful.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Anyone home? The OP has left the building!

• mbouchard37
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks so much all for the amazing ideas! Working out the details of getting the under cabinet lighting now
  • Clarence Hogan
    7 years ago
    We just completed our kitchen back splash in a Moroccan mosiac.
  • judiy
    7 years ago

Has anyone mentioned back-painted glass?

• sherrylacey
    7 years ago

My idea for this kitchen would be to put up a backsplash the same color (or as close as you can get) as the wall, with a bright white grout. The same-color backsplash will make the room look a little larger. The white grout will pick up on the white baseboard, and will also help to brighten the area. I think any medium for the backsplash will do as long as it matches the wall color. Painting the frame of the blackboard that is on the wall white would pull it all together.

• tropical07
    7 years ago

You might want to consider using light earthy toned glass for your backsplash. The glass can help illuminate your kitchen so it doesn't become too dark. :)

• tropical07
    7 years ago

Also, thinking you could place light strips under the cabinets. My friend has this and they change colour too.

• PRO
    in3interieur
    7 years ago

I agree not easy to solve this dilemma. Create a spacious kitchen and remove your top cabinets. Treat your wall and ceiling to the same nice color of not too dark paint. Add open shelving following existing lines and include the far wall (have a design made for this by a professional).

• Patricia
    7 years ago

Love your paint color choice and your thoughts of white and gray tile. You may be a design novice, but I think you've got it goin' on!!

• springmom
    7 years ago

Improve the lighting first and foremost and then back paint plain clear glass off white or very pale gray to use as your backsplash, remove the black granite edge of the backsplash. No tile. You will tire of the tile and it will also look dated before long. You have a great neutral timeless streamlined modern kitchen, keep it that way. (I am a mosaic artist so I love tile but I don't like it on kitchen back splashes, it quickly makes the kitchen look too cluttered once you add a few need in real life items to the kitchen counter.

• PRO
    Hattye Gomez
    7 years ago

I think you can use a metallic backsplash, because the light will reflected on the backsplash, you will feel the kitchen more illuminated. Perhaps a withe glass backsplash would be my second option to you.

• sparkymac
    7 years ago
    Leeza what is the tile you posted ?
  • Petra Matrai
    7 years ago

Where can I find the pendants in Leelee's comment/picture above?

• gradick
    7 years ago

A mirrored back splash might open the space up a bit. I love my antique mirror back splashes.

• PRO
    Dock On A Rock Inc.
    7 years ago

Dark gray smoked coloured mirror. Easy to clean. Enlarges the space..

• Leeza
    7 years ago

@sparkymac

It is Carrara Marble Subway Brick Mosaic, White, 12"x12" found right here on Houzz:

[2x4 Carrara-Marble-Subway-Brick-Mosaic-White mounted on 12x12-sheet[(https://www.houzz.com/products/12x12-carrara-white-grand-brick-subway-mosaic-tile-polished-chip-size-2x4-prvw-vr~9844250)

Sorry for delay answering, we had our furniture moved this weekend!

• mrsjwl
    7 years ago

under counter lighting. large tile splash back...paint cabinet doors a light colour on upper cabinets???

• ljfq
    7 years ago

That end wall needs to be the spot to draw the attention, not your backsplash area. I have seen some nice, sleek, sophisticated kitchens spoiled with the all-the-rage glass mosaics in busy patterns. Don't overlook plain old paint. Very cleanable anymore, even in a flat finish, and very easy to redo. With your type of stove, you should not have much "splashing" problem anyway. To me, tile screams "This is the kitchen!!" and painted drywall says, "This is an integral part of your home". It is a matter of personal preference.

• PRO
    Inteck3d Inc.
    7 years ago

Hi Matt,

Adding a mirror type backsplash to a space with all dark materials will only reflect dark colours. Any under cabinet lighting you put will NOT significantly "light" up the space as the light will reflect again onto your dark countertop and cabinets. In my view, a stainless steel or light coloured backsplash is the way to go.

If you feel you really want to nail this before construction, one option is to create a virtual model of the space and see for yourself what you like. Latest high end rendering technologies offer impressive realism and even provide accurate light definitions for your requirements.

All the best. Ivan

• PRO
    Davis Kitchen & Tile
    7 years ago

What a great question. First, I might suggest installing the cabinet lights after the back splash so the aren't in the way when installing the tile. Secondly you might want to go with something alittle more flashy than the grey. And add in some of the dark elements to bring it all together. The under cabinet lights, as shown in this photo, will make your space a little brighter with its reflection.

• mzloolue
    7 years ago

My prediction is that ornate backsplashes will look dated very soon.

Here is a question, do you want the top cabinets to appear unified with the base cabinets and countertops or do you want it to appear like a row of cupboards suspended in space or flying free?

I decided that I do not like most of the backsplashes I see and that I wanted my top cabinets to appear connected to the lower cabinets and all one piece.

So, I painted the little bit of wall a color that blends with the finish on the cabinets.

• Bruce Winters
    7 years ago
    Our cabinets and countertops are similar to yours. I'll be repainting the rooms in this picture to more of a cream color next week, but with under-cabinet lighting and the 'tiel-ish' paint shown, the kitchen has a comfortable brightness. In fact that tiel color really made the cabinets "pop", but now we want to go with a more neutral color so that's my project for next week.

We agonized over the use of tile but came to the conclusion we like our existing backsplash. We only have ~13" from the top of the existing 4" backsplash to the bottom of the cabinet so a light color subway tile would've made sense, but our tastes have changed over the years and it's much easier to re-paint than to re-tile. Our cabinets and countertops are the room anchors but we can easily change the look and feel of the kitchen and adjoining dining room with a new coat of paint and different window / wall coverings, which we've done a few times now. :)

Good luck with your project. Would like to see what you ended up doing.
  • shonnybunny
    7 years ago

Leelee,any idea on where to purchase the tile in the backsplash in your first picture?

• sandeedee
    7 years ago

I had the same cherry cabinet/black granite surface in my last kitchen and dealt with the same problem- it was so dark even with under cabinet lighting that I went with something reflective with little pattern. My initial idea was mirrors tile and I loved it- had it installed by a mirror company so it looked seamless and opened up the whole kitchen because it looks like its open to another room. It bounced the light around and was a 100% improvement. My backup plan if the mirror didn't work out was a simple light neutral glass tile, no pattern because I find it distracting on an everyday basis, and prefer to show off some of my prettier kitchen equipment for color. Either of these scenarios would let you easily change wall color in the rest of the room on a whim- you you;don't be limited to backsplash colors and patterns. Just keep it very simple and you will be fine.

• Lizzy L.
    7 years ago

Why does Houzz keep posting old questions?

• Paula Vander
    7 years ago

Even before even before you mentioned marble, I envisioned white gray veined marble. Could be as tiles, slab, or even marble looking quartz. The quartz would be very easy care. No stains, no sealing needed.

• PRO
    R and P remodeling
    7 years ago
    Grecian marble with black glass and brushed stainless accent
  • onewingstudio
    7 years ago

Oh, please put in a little color. A warm blue glass tile would keep the shine and contemporary feel but give you light and room for other decor accents. Too much of the same color (or non color) can deaden and flatten the entire space.

• mbzbons
    7 years ago

I agree with the following: Tile gets boring and outdated quickly; metal will look cheap and trendy; mirror tiles would give quite a choppy look (just think of all of the broken-up reflections!!!) You have a very small area and I would like to see more photos as to how high the ceiling is and how adjoining rooms impact the kitchen. The first thing I'd spend money on is getting a new refrigerator that is counter depth. Sorry ~~ I know it's expensive but it would do wonders for your space and I believe, once installed, you will love the look! Okay, okay -- on with the backsplash. I agree whole heartedly with those who suggested paint with an overlay of glass. This will you a clean look and easy to keep clean too! You can choose a color that blends with the rest of your home and obtain continuity. Therefore, in conclusion, YES! to under cabinet lighting and YES! to paint and glass overlay. Good Luck and please do post a picture of your final design. Additionally, please do change out the blackboard for an interesting piece of art to add interest. One question: How high does the wall with the chalkboard go? If it would work, a neat idea might be to cover this one wall along with the backsplash in the same material, i.e. a smashing wallpaper? There are some wonderful designs available. I wish you the best and a lovely Holiday Season!

• kimberlysc
    7 years ago
    Soft white subway tile that looks handout, with soft white grout, keep it simple and you will still love it many years later. Yes, you need a backsplash.
  • PRO
    George Robinson Kitchens
    7 years ago

So much advice already! Just wondering if you had considered an antiqued glass splashback? Beautiful choice for making a space appear larger and for bouncing the light - See attached pic. best of luck with your project!

• Low Voltage Wiring , Ballassi Audio
    7 years ago
    As stated before , it's a lighting problem , not a backsplash problem ...
  • mbzbons
    7 years ago

I agree -- Lighting will look great! Be sure to choose warm lighting and not the harsh LED blue-toned lighting. I truly don't think that antique- mirrored squares would look particularly good simply because there would be too many vertical and horizontal lines involved. In my last three kitchens I have run straight custom, tempered mirror as a continuing backsplash. Positive: Looks great, clean lines, brings light into room, for Feng Shui = doubling burners = brings money! (so I was told - hummmm.....? ); Negative: Must be careful with back burners in order not to crack mirror - use tempered mirror so this does not occur, cleaning can become an issue but I've got some great cleaning cloths for mirrors that work wonders! I would advise running mirror but in your kitchen the back of the range is higher than the existing 4" backsplash so it wouldn't be a clean "line" of mirror. BUT! Here I go again --as I mentioned before, you could gain about a foot of width (and a clean line of cabinets and refer to the back wall without the refer projecting outward into kitchen) in front of your refer by replacing it and getting counter depth unit and, if you really wanted to splurge, you could replace the oven with a unit that is level with the counter. Just a mere suggestion and whatever meets "your" fancy and budget! Although, please think about white subway tile being not only being very trendy, over-used and, in the light of the day, quite boring. Do pull up the website someone gave you. I believe it is tileart.com (scroll up to find). With such a very small backsplash space to fill you could look at some of the wonderful, high-priced tile for a super custom look!

• patsypatsy15
    7 years ago

The grey glass subway tile with a line of the small tile 3/4 way up would look great.

• kimberlysc
    7 years ago
    Counter depth refrigerator, oven with no back, and soft white tile, keep it classic. Under counter lighting. You won't get tired of it and color can be brought in with paint and decor.
  • kimberlysc
    7 years ago
    Put money into a counter depth refrigerator, you will love the improvement!
  • PRO
    Julieta Alvarez Interior Design
    7 years ago

white color glass tiles to bring some light to the room.