Software
Houzz Logo Print
kamccleary

To paint or not to paint wooden doors?

My house is a unique bungalow/Craftsman/Cape Cod built in 1958. It has beautiful wood doors with wrought iron hinges and knobs and door pulls. After years of an eclectic Craftsman style, I'm redecorating with Swedish artist Carl Larsson as inspiration, and want a more Scandinavian feel. Would it be a crime to paint these doors?

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    Cute doors, but nothing special. Go ahead and paint them...but first seal the knots.

    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/seal-pine-knots-99384.html


    Kathleen McCleary thanked chiflipper
  • 9 years ago
    I love your door!! I don't think it's a crime but it's a nice door as is!
    Kathleen McCleary thanked troody98
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi Kathleen, the doors appear to be well-constructed, with a nice finish. They certainly do add a unique character to your home, and an added layer design-wise. I would consider keeping them natural. Alternatively, if you would prefer a very fresh Scandinavian palette, I don't think it wrong to paint them. You would, however, still see quite a bit of the grain and knot textures.

    Kathleen McCleary thanked Mimi Pineau Design
  • 9 years ago

    i like painted wood but i like your doors just as they are, even more.

    Kathleen McCleary thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 9 years ago
    The doors add a real warmth to your space. I agree, leave them and see how everything else looks first
    Kathleen McCleary thanked sandi125
  • 9 years ago

    I have seen many Scandinavian style homes with touches of warm wood. Keep in mind that wood moves with changes in temp and humidity causing cracks in the paint at the joints. This could potentially be a real upkeep issue with your doors.




    The wood brings warmth to the rooms. Unless I have the wrong Carl Larsson in mind, there is a lot of wood and color in his art.


    Kathleen McCleary thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago
    You could whitewash them so you see a lot of the grain, it depends too what else you are putting in the room. Leave it until the very last then see how you feel
    Kathleen McCleary thanked Irene Morresey
  • 9 years ago

    You could change the doors and sell them for something that more meets your style versus painting the doors.

    Kathleen McCleary thanked Eric
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Crime! Just to add another dimension to the discussion, pairing natural wood doors with white trim (as you have done) is a nice way of compromising if one spouse likes all-wood doors and trim while the others like all-white doors and trim. It certainly worked in my case; in both out city house and country house, we have wood doors and white trim.

    City house:


    Country house:


    1820 Stone Farmhouse Renovation · More Info



    1820 Stone Farmhouse Renovation · More Info

    Kathleen McCleary thanked Home Reborn
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I do love all white but those doors are actually very pretty and I think you might regret it if you painted them. If you did paint them it would create more of a sense of space but I feel that if your going Scandinavian then you are probably painting your walls white and these doors will add a little warmth to the palette and keep the character and charm of the home. Scandinavian style definitely allows for some natural wood whether it be in furnishing or doors and floors.

    I see your walls have a hint of pale creamy yellow to them, once these are painted white then your doors will look fabulous. If you still don't like the look after you have painted the walls then you can always paint over after or white wash them as someone has previously suggested.

    Kathleen McCleary thanked Lee Caroline - A world of Inspiration
  • 9 years ago
    You could keep the wood finish but add a stencil.
    Kathleen McCleary thanked Joy
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Kathleen, a few years back I also fancied painting all my doors white in a previous home but had the same hesitations as you.

    So what we ended up doing was wrapping them all with some white plastic tablecloths as neatly as possible and lived with them like that for a couple of months to get a feel for white doors.

    After unwrapping them we were delighted to have our wooden doors back and never talked about painting them again.

    While white was ok, the wood added much warmth and personality that before the ' big wrapping experience' we just took for granted.

    Kathleen McCleary thanked Jen Osborne
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I too would leave the doors in their natural state. They add texture, interest and warmth to a white/pastel palette and are very charming!

    Kathleen McCleary thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Such great comments and ideas! Thank you. I think I'm going to leave them. The wood is a nice warm color. So appreciate all the input.