Software
Houzz Logo Print
sally_benjamin

Fireplace replacement

9 years ago

Our 1985 home had a rotting chimney for a formerly-wood burning fireplace. The chimney had to go (and it is as I write this request for help)! We're pulling out the firebox as well, because we purchased a picture window to put where the chimney once stood. We are planning to install a Dimplex PF3033HL 33" Plug-in Electric Firebox with Multi-Fire XD and Realogs. We're planning to frame it in a nice textured slate gray tile (with a bit of a split faced mini tile design) and to install a narrow hearth in coordinating slate at the base.

Here's the dilemma. How far above the floor should I install the new box? I think I want to center it between the floor and the base of the new picture window.

Second question. How much tile should we use to surround the fireplace? Is there such a thing as too much tile? I'm thinking we'll go with one layer (12X24 inches) laid the long way all around the fireplace opening. My husband is willing to go from floor to ceiling, but I think that might be overkill, esp. since the tile is slate gray. If it was sandstone, I'd consider it.

I'm providing a pic of the former fireplace to give you an idea of the room. Sorry it isn't a better view of the entire wall (but the room is now full of workmen and furniture). FYI the picture window will align with the other windows (at the top) and comes to about 5 inches from the old mantel (which is now gone).

Comments (9)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Asked and answered! Since I own the thing, I really need to install it. Question is how high off the floor. Since it's only about 25 inches tall (and 3 feet wide), I'm going to tile around it, and install it one tile depth (12 inches) off the floor. It will have a coordinating tile hearth. All tile is in soapstone gray. Thanks for your comment.

  • 9 years ago

    How's this?


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Measurements of wall would help. I don't understand your choices. I think you are trying for a contemporary look, but the window and fireplace are the same width. No hearth needed for this fireplace or for contemporary look. So delete hearth. The window is what is throwing me off. I would want the stone all the way up but wth window it will look odd. I think I would consider a wide stripe of stone about 6-8" above and below fireplace and as wide as possible this would give a modern look and keep it the focal point. The window will probably need a remote controlled light blocking roller shade. So, in summary, rethink stone look. Raise fireplace about 18-20" above floor (at bottom of firebox). That leaves room for stone stripe of 6-8" below fireplace. I will hunt for photo to give you visual of what I mean.
    Sally Benjamin thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback! I am going for contemporary. Unfortunately, the framing is done and the choices have been made. I'll post pics when it's done.


  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Fox Run 13 · More Info
    Very hard to find photo of fireplace with windows above. Here is one. You can see no hearth (and your room is shallow enough that I don't think you need it? This simple long look would give it a modern look even though the fireplace is small rectangle not long narrow one. But this stone face spreads out as far as they could go to enhance the long low look. Your window isn't going to be this large of course, but perhaps you can get an idea of the fireplace look from this photo. Here is another approach.
    Oxford Development · More Info
    Imagine the "TV" in this photo as the "window". They did put a little flat stone hearth but their room is much deeper than yours. Notice how the stone around the fireplace is narrow above and slides out on the sides as far as they could go. I think you could do your stone and then paint the remaining wall above the fireplace the dark gray similar to your stone to give the "full stone wall" impression, without all that visual weight.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here is another approach which would be quite interesting in your room.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Hogs Hollow · More Info
    Use your imagination here. Place the firebox up around 30" above floor (depending on where the bottom of your window is going to be. Then you could do something like this, realizing the window would be above the top of this layout. I think something like this would be very nice without too much extra effort. You would need a narrow shelf above, but below window and you could put deco items on that shelf for sun and light to light? You could do a "bench" below the firebox to simulate the great built-in bench/firewood storage/TV set up here. So, basically you could "modify" this look to your space quite nicely. Hope these ideas help you envision your new wall with some style and gorgeousness! Enjoy!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. How high above the floor did you put the firebox? Just curious.