Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbiess

Hate my new back splash! Help!!!

kimbiess
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Picked a backsplash that is way too busy for me!! I have Cream cabinets and the ganite is called absolute cream- dark floors- can't decide on what to do!! I really want simple!!! Is grey subway tile too dark??

Comments (24)

• PRO
    not applicable
    7 years ago

look at these backsplashes...

• PRO
    Kustom Home Design
    7 years ago

A white arabesque tile would provide a uniform color, but enough texture to be pleasing. The curved forms will blend well with your island brackets & shaped island top.
    See link: https://www.houzz.com/photos/white-kitchen-with-bianco-antico-granite-contemporary-kitchen-philadelphia-phvw-vp~59397

• PRO
    Laura Lee Designs
    7 years ago

Here are two examples, not exactly the style of your kitchen, but they show white cabinets with neutral or light backsplashes. Good luck with your project!

Beverly Hills Bungalow Interior Design Project · More Info

Furniture · More Info

• PRO
    Urbanest Construction
    7 years ago
    Why not chose a pastel colour like powder blue or grey. Very subtle.
  • PRO
    Addition Building & Design, Inc.
    7 years ago

Yes, definitely simplify with a neutral color.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

Go with a subtle color.

• Rachel Prescott
    7 years ago
    I think a white subway tile would look good. Here's two pictures. One is zoomed in and you can see a touch of gray.
  • annearchibald
    7 years ago

Your cabinets look cream. If they are, grey will not work. Can't tell what colors are in the granite but keep that in mind when choosing your tile color. Another option is remove what you don't like, paint the area the color you want and put up glass tile that lets the color show through.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    No white. Has to work with cream cabinets.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

pretty kitchen. If you do a simple subway, you could keep the tile over the stove area, just frame it out with border tile. Pick up some samples and see what color works w/the stone.

• PRO
    Charco DESIGN & BUILD Inc.
    7 years ago

Something subtle, but with classy design would be nice.

A Touch of French · More Info

• calidesign
    7 years ago

Are your cabinets cream or white? A light, warm gray subway tile would work, or a white tile if you can match it to your cabinets. Keep it simple. Love your schonbek pendents - we have the same ones! With a new back splash your kitchen will look perfect.

• kimbiess
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cream cabinets-cream, grey, black and pearlized ganite- I went and got light grey ceramic subway tile and a bone color- I think the bone is going to be my choice-it looks perfect!

• PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    7 years ago

The multi color mosaic looks spotty and is too contemporary for your design style. I could see a monochromatic back splash of porcelain or glass tile. You could select a color from your granite, that would also harmonize with the cabinet color. Subway tile is over used, often cheap looking, and possibly too contemporary for your space. You could look at 1"x1" glass mosaics by Sonoma Tilemakers, Mosuprema. It is glass but has texture and would fit your space. I hope you can find a suitable color! Good luck!

• PRO
    M&M Interiors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Personally I would not do a white backsplash with your countertop and cream cabinets. I suggest a cream tile- either glass or stone. To make it interesting try a rectangular tile installed in a herringbone pattern. Avoid small 1" x1" tiles as they will also look busy when installed- unless they are all the same color. Good luck!

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Look at carrera marble
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Or Grecian Marble subway tile. I can't tell the undertones of your cabinets. Carrera is grey/white undertones and Grecian has Cream/tan/white undertones.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Bone is good if it is the "light bone". That also is on point with the "style" you have going. Good luck!

kimbiess thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

You are going to have to bring samples home and check them out from a distance, because you have to integrate the granite on the island with the cabinets and the backsplash. Kind of tricky, but if you bring enough samples home, you will find the right combo.

• ciliegia
    7 years ago
    What are the colors in the backsplash? My suggestion is to paint just those cabinets on top same color of your island, paint the door that appears half open and frame same color of base cabinets, same for frame of opening to other room. It is the wood color door and frames that clash. This change will sustain the backsplash and the kitchen will be more beautiful and balanced.

Post a closeup of backsplash, it looks interesting.
  • Sara Luster
    7 years ago
    If I had your kitchen I would add a tile that had a solid color. Maybe something like this.
  • PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 years ago

Light blue subway tile could look great!

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago
    If you don't want to replace it, painted tile can actually look very cool. You could use a light blue green or even a pale pink or just a cream color. Of course replacing it is a good option. The picture is an example of painted subway tile on the back (yellow) wall. (I am not recommending yellow)