Software
Houzz Logo Print
lsullivan7884

Need help selecting a backsplash!

9 years ago


Hi! I need help figuring out what to do for a backsplash! The top that is going to be installed is tan brown granite. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am clueless so I am reaching out because I believe a backsplash can make or break a design.

Comments (34)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Need more photos of adjoining spaces. My first reaction is don't do any backsplash. Will you be using this as buffet or prep space?
  • 9 years ago

    Yes, I wouldn't do one there, either. Nice area.

  • 9 years ago

    The rest of the kitchen has a 4" matching granite backsplash and then painted wall. This area is on the far side of the kitchen and it will have the cappuccino maker. It is more like a coffee bar area. If I do a backsplash on the coffee bar then I will do the same design in the trim above the stove that is now travertine. I also was going to do something to match behind the stove. There is an island that is new and will have the same granite. Right now it is cardboard as I was playing with different shapes for the top!




  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You could treat this as a completely separate area and I would consider doing the countertop in something different than the tan brown. I would consider a butcher block type approach and no backsplash. Just paint that area in a semi-gloss washable paint. The darkness of the kitchen is overwhelming everything. I would also do the island in the same material. Tan Brown is dated and dark. Needs some lightening up if you ask me. Even a lighter granite would be a big improvement. Have since you are still playing with countertop shape, hopefully you haven't ordered countertops yet? I would look at some alternative countertop ideas.

  • 9 years ago

    I thought about rosewood granite on the island to lighten the look but everyone on another post said don't do it! We have a high ceiling and windows on 2 sides and a French door to the outside so the room does not have a dark feel to it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    No too dark. Look at some cream and brown granites like Icy Brown, or Winter White. If you still go with the tan brown, then explore copper metal backsplash. At the coffee center, that would be very nice. Don't do any 4" backsplash. Like having a belt and suspenders. Just use one or look dorky! lol

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The rest of the kitchen needs tile and NOT a four inch granite splash. The furniture piece needs only a two inch riser to appear as ...........furniture that coordinates. I would select a solid black granite for that piece and let it stand alone.

    The rest? Consider Crosseville Modern Mythology split face mosaic. Warm color with no busy effect and no grout necessary.

    http://www.tile-stone-stores.com/brands/crossville-b-9/modern-mythology-griffin-t-794/?m=5992


  • 9 years ago


    Ontare Residence · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Oh wow! That is a beautiful backsplash! Any idea what it is called and where I can find it?

    I am nervous that there will be too big a gap when I take off the 4" current granite backsplash.


    Now I have to ask another question. With my color combo in the kitchen what color should I paint the walls and the shelves and the closure on the range hood?

  • 9 years ago

    Isullivan,, she posted the link to the tile right below it. see how it's highlighted in green? don't worry about paint until everything is in.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Beth! Thanks for the tip about the link. I see it now! Good advice on the paint. I'm just one of those people that feels the need to plan everything out before I start. I just have to keep telling myself it will all come together step by step! Lol! Thanks for the reassurance!

  • 9 years ago

    Wait...if I do that white mother of pearl looking backsplash on the perimeter then the island top can be in something light too that goes with it...right? It will all tie in and not look random.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Flo gave some good pointers. Have you already purchased this granite?? if not, I would seriously look at something else.

    Paint could be in the same tones as your backsplash. Keep it light. You have a lot of dark going on and a lot of visual stuff going on

    If you have paid for that granite, then you could get the backsplash in more of a creamy tone and do a solid similar color on the island. Glass tile subways is another option. These are from tilebar.com. Tons of choices. although I really like the mother of pearl-looking one too.

  • 9 years ago

    Appointment for templating is late next week so I am not locked in. I still have a respectful cancellation window if needed!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    oh well good! that granite was one of the first when the granite explosion happened in the 90's.( its original name was Baltic Brown) It is dated and considered to be akin to "builder grade oak cabinets" !! So, if you can, perhaps look for something a little lighter? I know you will thank me down the road. Can you pick anything or are you only give a few choices? Anyway you could post some other pics of whats available?

  • 9 years ago
    I believe the poster already has Black and Tan Granite and is adding additional Black and Tan to a newly added island and coffee bar. In a different thread the poster was trying to decide to add a different granite, same granite, quartz, butcher block, ect to these new areas...
  • 9 years ago
    Isullivan,
    I looked at the info on the backsplash that I posted earlier...it looks like it is a custom blend of Vetro Nuetra Glass Tile :( Sorry.
  • 9 years ago
  • 9 years ago

    To clarify the tan brown on the perimeter is staying. They are big pieces with no seams so I know it will be a small fortune to replace completely.


    I can't fit them all in but in the picture facing the stove the cabinets wrap around the wall to the left then there is doorway opening with a pocket door and then the coffee bar. Opposite the wall with the stove is all windows.


  • 9 years ago

    Maybe just a Tin Tile Backsplash in the coffee bar area, hood trim, and behind stove...


    San Roque Residence · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That metal look is what I was talking about, but I would do a coppery if you put the tan brown granite on that top surface. Also, more in tune with copper expresso café makers! I like doing something different there to make it look more like a "furniture" piece.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Small correction. Baltic brown and Tan Brown are two different granites. The Baltic Brown has kind of splotches of a pinkish brown on a black background and the Tan Brown is predominately black with kind of slices of dark rusty colored crystallized looking pieces. Hard to describe. But they are different. I was under the impression from early comments from the Poster that they already had the Tan Brown. It expresses itself as black from the edges and a distance. You only see the variations when you are close up.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    oh ok. got it. i was just trying to see how close the coffee bar would be. You could actually do any top that matches the colors in the other. You didn't have a remnant piece leftover from your perimeter countertops? You have to get a new piece for the bar? And how did you want to do the backsplash since it's just 'floating' back there? Meaning there is nothing to tile out to. were you just going to stop at the edge of the bar cabinet?

    how about some sort of copper (like Flo's tin tiles, but in copper) to tie in w/the countertop (if you decide to do the same black and brown)?

  • 9 years ago

    The perimeter cabinets and granite are from 2002. We recently went with an island and coffee bar in lieu of our kitchen table. We eat in the dining room all the time and never used the kitchen table so we thought the coffee bar and island would be a better use of space for us!


    My original idea for the backsplash on the coffee bar was to stop at edge like this picture.


    You are right the tan tan brown really looks black until you are closer and then it has the warm tones of the cinnamon cabinets.

  • 9 years ago

    sounds like us. we never eat at the table. we also have a little coffee bar in the corner. I like your idea with using that cabinet. Will look cute when done. I think you could get away with the same granite that's in your kitchen. Have you thought about just taking the granite all the way up like whats shown in the pic w/your inspiration photo??? Then it will look like one cohesive piece.

  • 9 years ago

    No but that is a great idea. Do you think it will be too dark? I also need to rethink the backsplash on the existing cabinets. Would it be too dark to take the 4" off and carry the full granite backsplash? Aaaah there are too many options!

  • 9 years ago

    haha. yes there are too many. I'm thinking it would be a little on the dark side, yes. If you want to lighten it up, go w/the lighter color glass subways. Or something on the iridescent end. I think someone posted a pic on here earlier?? something like these: (not the mosaic, obviously! Best pic I could find w/these tan iridescent tiles)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I like those iridescent tiles too. On the countertop for the side coffee bar, I wouldn't use the same granite. If you want this to look like a furniture piece it would be more authentic to have it a simple wood countertop. Maybe butcher block? Then you could still do that copper backsplash there as well. Just thinking out loud here.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Magnolia Kitchen · More Info
    These are the lighter reflective subway tiles.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Ann Sacks Concrete Tile


  • 9 years ago


    Kjoy1...were you at my house when I was at work? Lol!




    Those are beautiful but too busy for my liking in that particular spot.

    What do you think of these?

    I also want to throw out there that I have reddish and tan window treatments in the room. I've included a close up of one.


  • 9 years ago

    I like them:) Are both of them cream or off white in color?



  • 9 years ago

    Good to know! Any chance you can post a picture?