Software
Houzz Logo Print
pmlacey

What do you think of this design concept?

9 years ago

I just had light gray kitchen cabinets installed and they are a cooler tone that I would have liked. We have dubbed them the "chameleon cabinets" because depending on what you place them against they are light gray with a blue tint (not a fan)
or a greige. I have White Sand marble ordered for the countertops and have found an interesting backsplash tile that I think will "warm up" the space. There is very little backsplash area, so I think it could take a bold tile without overwhelming the space. What do you all think? Am I crazy or should I do the safe thing and go with white subway tile? The floors are a medium tone brown. Thanks!


Comments (30)

  • 9 years ago
    I love it. This is one of my favourite kitchens.

    Modern Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info
  • 9 years ago

    Personally - I love it. Others might find it too busy. Hard to say without seeing the space. But I love the personality and color it brings in.

    Patti Lacey thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • 9 years ago
    Wait until your counters are in and then reassess. In concept the tile you posted might work. I'm a little leery of the business of the two together but it has potential. Again, safer bet is to assess when you see the whole installation.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I agree backsplash can be added after the rest it is kind of interesting and just might work

    Patti Lacey thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think I would much rather put my personality into things that can be changed easily. Personally, I would tire of those busy backsplashes in a few months. You will be limited in colors to work with. They look like yellow snowflakes to me, not that yellow snowflakes are bad tho;)

    Patti Lacey thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I really like what you picked! Great look and more fun than white subway. I agree since you have chameleon cabinets to wait until everything else is in and then look at it with your lights at different times of day to make sure the colors are good together. In our last house we thought the backsplash the previous owners had installed was ho hum, but when we had over and under cabinet lights put in the look of the backsplash really changed (for the better!).

    Patti Lacey thanked champcamp
  • 9 years ago

    Love it. But, I agree that you should look at it after the counter is installed.

    I wish I'd thought of it. Really a happy, pretty look.

    Patti Lacey thanked auntthelma
  • 9 years ago
    I agree, wait for the counters to go in. And, you can always use that beautiful tile just behind the stove/cooktop. Are they encaustic cement tiles? Check with the dealer/vendor. They can be very porous, and may need sealing in a wet/messy environment.
    Patti Lacey thanked teamaltese
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It's a very pretty combination; it will make for a happy, cheerful space, enjoy!

    Patti Lacey thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • 9 years ago
    I like! :)
    Patti Lacey thanked Casandra383 Dean
  • 9 years ago
    I like it too!!! Stupid question...what is white sand marble? Is it just a kind of marble or a type of quartz?
  • 9 years ago

    It's a marble. White Sand is it's name.


  • 9 years ago
    Love it!
  • 9 years ago

    The photo says it will work...BUT...the countertop may look very different when it is horizontal. Best to wait until the marble is installed.

  • 9 years ago
    Here is your backsplash with soapstone counters.
  • 9 years ago
    That tile is from Walker Zanger, right? Looks like it comes from the Duquesa collection. There was a kitchen of the week that featured that tile in a small dose - I will try to find and link to it.
  • 9 years ago
    Love it!
  • 9 years ago

    I really like it! Normally not a fan of a busy backsplash and as I was reading (before I saw the picture) I was getting ready to say no, too much--but it's really not.

  • 9 years ago

    Wait until the counters are installed and then get several of your tiles that can give you a better feel for how they'll look. You already have seen how things look different "in real life".

  • 9 years ago

    You are really committing yourself to that color scheme. Does the gold tie in with your other decor in adjoining room? You can use the gold and ignore it elsewhere if it doesn't clash. Also, don't forget about the pattern. Again, the pattern needs to work with your other patterns and you don't want to over do the geometric theme of your tiles. You can pull it off if you're careful and aware.

  • 9 years ago

    Here are some furniture combinations that would look great with your tile.


    You could add chairs in another color if repeating the gold was more than you would like. Hmmm, maybe not with that rug.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you anniebird for the picture! Now I am really leaning toward using it! I did tell my contractor that I wanted to wait and make the final decision once the countertops are in place though. Great advice. Thanks everyone!



  • 9 years ago

    Would love a picture of your finished project

  • 9 years ago
    Here you go! The lighting is not so good because it's at night, but you get the picture. Still waiting on a custom 54" square table for the banquette area.
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some pictures of the adjoining areas.
  • 9 years ago
    Your home and kitchen is wonderful, good choices. Enjoy
  • 9 years ago

    Pmlacey...it looks great! Very delicate and subtle in your space. You must be thrilled.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I love it!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Warm it up! Colors look great next to the "chameleon cabinets"