Software
Houzz Logo Print
slievore

Need help to complete living room, need some sort of character?

9 years ago
just moved in about a month ago. Ordered a ink blue sofa which will arrive in a few weeks (see picture for sofa), what else do we need? Better lighting ? I was thinking of a live wood slab coffee table?

Comments (160)

  • 9 years ago

    I will measure the height for you next time I am home (later today)

  • 9 years ago

    The jet modern table is nice.

  • 9 years ago

    Should I make the coffee a dramatic piece? What i mean by that is I'm looking for something to give the room that focal point. I think its missing that.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Measure length of sofa too. With narrow overall space round coffee tables work best. Aged gold spans both old world (rug) and modern (aged brass is everywhere in designs today). You also need some metal in this space. A long metal sculpture piece for above sofa could be focal point. But with relatively low ceilings i would make coffee table show stopper against gorgeous blue sofa!
  • 9 years ago
    What flo said^
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here are some great lighting options we offer that might do wonders for your living room:

    Residential spaces with BaBoo's interiors · More Info


    The Duke · More Info

    Lighting as a Jewelry · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks flo ... any ideas on a show stopper coffee table?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    What budget do I need to respect for showstopper coffee table?
  • 9 years ago
    The couch seat is 19" heigh and 84" long
  • 9 years ago
    I don't have a lot to spend but I would say no more than $600
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I have found 2 possibilities so far. First, my fav but over your price point, but if you could catch it on sale you might be able to pull it off. It is pottery barn Vince Metal Clad 35" rd Old gold $799 without sale. I posted this one earlier. The next one is a bit more rustic but still kind of chic, lower than budget! From Wayfair Loon Peak Gallatin Round Coffee Table $435.50. 36" rd. 19.75 high. I have them posted on my idea book called "henshinGSR". See what you think. Both would be nice. The gold would be statement. The other one more casual/rustic.
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    henshinGSR · More Info
    This is the pricey one, but gorgeous statement piece. I have a client who got this one and it is really a nice piece.
    henshinGSR · More Info
    This is the more "rustic" one but still very nice styling and would work well. Both are good sizing for your sofa size. The rustic is quite a bit less expensive, so you might like that better! I think way back you mentioned you wanted a bit of a rustic look, which is why I selected this one. I finally was able to get my desk top working so I could post these pictures.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks I like both tables .. the gold one would be nice to have I guess I could keep a look out if it goes on sale any time soon
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    They have sales almost every week. Just look about every 3-4 days or call and ask them. They will tell you if they know and you might be able to "pre-order"? Not sure about them, but some will do that.

  • 9 years ago
    I love the gold! I just don't think it's going to get you the look you want.
  • 9 years ago
    Found another inspiration pic for you:)
  • 9 years ago
    I like that pic .. maybe we need a table like that
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A mid-century modern table would add a third style to the space which can work, but IMO not the best choice. You don't have the width for this size, but perhaps there are other woods you could introduce there. Mainly just a personal choice I think. Find what appeals to you most, but then repeat that style in two other elements so you bring the various style elements together into a cohesive look.

  • 9 years ago
    Henshin, yeah I think so too...that's why I showed you those three wood tables. I can find more too:)
  • 9 years ago
    Do you not like the live edge look anymore?
  • 9 years ago
    Saw this...what do you think?
  • 9 years ago

    I would love the Katina coffee table with your beautiful sofa and rug. It's just a little above your price range. How about using the table you just bought (which is too low for the sofa arm--can't reach over it to get a coffee cup, etc.) between a pair of chairs eventually. You can look for slipper chairs or ones at least with low arms. Also how about a ceiling fan without lights? Maybe you can remove the lights from the one you have -- and paint it the same color you use on the ceiling. It would be functional but "disappear" visually.

  • 9 years ago
    No I love the live edge table idea but not sure if I can find one in my price range. They tend to be pretty pricey.
  • 9 years ago
    I will have to look into seeing if I can remove the lights off he ceiling fan. Good idea.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    It might be more cost effective to replace with more modern fixture. If you need fan, research a "fandelier". It is a combination light and fan. When not needed the fan blades tuck back up above motor and disappear.
  • 9 years ago
    All under $500, and the right size and length for your sofa. If you like any, lmk.
  • 9 years ago
    There was no dimensions on this, but if you like it, I can ask to see if it's the correct dimensions. Just from pic, looks like it might be.
    HenshinGSR thanked J D
  • 9 years ago
    Liking Flo's advice for the 3 round tables that act as a coffee table. Very, very useful and they help ground your sofa, but are not so heavy looking. Also, about making your ceiling look higher, I don't know about a ceiling with shine. How high is your ceiling, the standard 8'? Our house living room ceiling is 8'. When we bought our home the ceiling had been painted with a definite sheen to it. Large window like yours. The ceiling was very oppressive, did not feel elevated. We repainted with a white eggshell, same as walls ( tiny, tiny bit of sheen) and hung simple draperies from ceiling to floor. Now it feels higher. I think a ceiling with shine works better in rooms that have higher ceilings.
  • 9 years ago
    Yes I think eggshell or semi glossy would be best. Not straight up "glossy." I would absolutely not paint the ceiling a flat paint finish though
  • 9 years ago

    the love tables look nice. I especially like the last walnut table you posted.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes I will not paint the ceilings glossy. I think they are fine the way they are painted now.


  • 9 years ago

    The ceilings are the standard 8'

  • 9 years ago
    In my original inspiration picture does anyone know what the 2 small chairs by the fireplace are called? Not sure if they have a name?
  • 9 years ago


    Cuba Lounge Chair - Design Within Reach · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Nice chair but a $799 is tough with my budget

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Try looking for some knock-offs of this chair. Or even second hand shops. They aren't real comfortable, so might get a bargain!

  • 9 years ago
    Ok I will ask for the dimensions of the black walnut table:)
  • 9 years ago
    Wow they got back to me in record time...these are the dimensions:
  • 9 years ago
    Ok yea I will look around for the chairs. I have been around all the local second hand shops in my area but haven't found anything like that so far.
  • 9 years ago
    That's good to know the dimensions. The live edge tables aren't as expensive as I originally thought.
  • 9 years ago
    Called rattan folding chair:)
  • 9 years ago
    I'm not sure if there's a specific name for the curvature of the backs of those ones though...?
  • 9 years ago
    Here are two:
  • 9 years ago

    I like the last picture but looking for something lower and more laid back. I found this site that has something close to what i'm looking for but not for sale.


    http://www.madformidcentury.com/2014/12/hans-wegner-style-wicker-folding-chair.html#.WCtN8rIrKUk



  • 9 years ago

    I wonder if there is somewhere they make a reproduction of this chair

  • 9 years ago

    I really like the woven ropes aspect of the chair

  • 9 years ago

    Search for "Wegner rope chair" or "Wegner folding chair." Try ebay and etsy. Here are two, but they're not a lot cheaper than the ones at dwr.

    Mid Century Woven Lounge Chair Hans Wegner by OtherTimesVintage · More Info

    HenshinGSR thanked groveraxle
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks... yea I will have to shop around to find some at the right price/condition.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Consider your guests because this type chair is very hard to get in and out of.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Plus, kitties think they are scratch posts. Lol.