Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lwiding

Dining decor!

lwiding
7 years ago
How can I make it not feel so empty in this room? More comfy and inviting?

Comments (41)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Hi. Is your style a mix of industrial/ organic or what is in the rest of the room, so we know what could blend? If you like rough wood, distressed pieces sculptural like the tree out the window -- what about something good in the corner?

Otherwise, what do you think of color / what color is around? :)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Also, the white cloth isn't photo showing well.... is it fine in person for you and yours? Cause a color would seem better.

• lwiding
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm very much into neutrals. We just never in so I don't have a lot of furniture or a set style yet. Here's another pic.
  • Destiny Baquet
    7 years ago
    Add a nice big light fixture , art work, greenery , & accent chairs at the table
  • lwiding
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The white tablecloth is okay ish. It's not my favorite but the table under it is black and it feels very dark.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

A fabulous light fixture , a rug with some color and big enough for the space a piece of great art instead of a mirror and a buffet under the art a nice center piece and IMO when you leave a tablecloth on a table it looks like you are hiding a damaged table

• PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    7 years ago

Perhaps sharing some of the designs we have done for our clients will aid you in your dilemma? Try art instead of a mirror and a great chandelier over the table.

Desert Mountain Warm Contemporary · More Info

Mountain Lodge · More Info

1960 Ranch Home - Dining Room · More Info

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

Get rid of the white tablecloth, and just use the table runner. Decorate the fireplace mantel, add artwork, curtains and add another ceiling fixture.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Drapes would be a huge help. A larger rug (sisal-like) with the hide layered on top.

• PRO
    Barn & Willow
    7 years ago

It does feel a little bare. Are you planning on keeping the lighting? It seems a bit dark. A bright chandelier would make the space immediately more inviting.

I see that your room has a sort of rustic / natural feeling to it, and would suggest that you opt to continue those natural textures with some Belgian linen curtains to add some warmth in.

A light colored Belgian linen, like the Off White above, would soften the space significantly.

You can order free fabric swatches here!

• lwiding
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    All these are awesome ideas. I'll take off the tablecloth and put up a curtain rod with some soft drapes. I need to find some neutral art!!!!
  • lwiding
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I love the idea of a chandelier but the ceiling has never had any holes put in it anywhere. And I kinda feel bad putting on in! The track lights (eh) are put in the beams. But I agree that it's too dark.
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    7 years ago

Regarding wall decor ...Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop on Etsy website -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooviArtGallery?ref=pr_shop_more

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Want to alter the black table?

• everdebz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You like neutrals and textures -- maybe a $70 Ikea hanging chair in the corner? Adds more white, and keeps my eye moving from ceiling to fireplace to the view....pillow in it.

Ikea PS Svinga Hanging Seat, White · More Info

• calidesign
    7 years ago

Drapes will make a big difference, and to keep it neutral, look for a linen blend. Use a rod all the way across, with panels on each end and between each window. It will frame your beautiful view. After seeing your fireplace, I would turn your table the other direction. If it is in the budget, two larger armchairs at the ends of the table would look great.

• User
    7 years ago

Will you share a photo of your table without the tablecloth?

• lwiding
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's a few other angles without the tablecloth!
  • Sam Marcus
    7 years ago

I think it needs more texture on the walls and other table decorations as well. Adding more warm color as accents can help create a more warm or homey feeling. You can also add drop lights as a dramatic feature/design.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

What did you think of art instead of mirror? or even identical sized pieces on each side of mirror - for a long wall, after all....

• dskattler
    7 years ago
    I agree with Patricia. You need to get a larger rug under the table. Perhaps sisal in a 8x10 and then layer the hide rug over top. Also a buffet/console ( not too deep ) on the wall where the mirror is. Art would be nice but if you want to keep the mirror than hang the mirror horizontal and get some lamps to put on the buffet. Add some greenery plant in the corner.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Repeating warm tones already there - what about this type print with large 'oak' frame, distressed some:

Ebi Emporium "Floral Fiesta Teal" Naturals Canvas, 24"x36" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Or hang both without frames --

Ebi Emporium "Petal For Your Thoughts Teal" Naturals Canvas, 24"x36" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

... gotta love him [her?]

"Teal Spotted Ox" Canvas Wall Art, 48"x32" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Parvez Taj Art Print On Premium Canvas, 40"x40" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I wonder -- if in person the mirror makes that wall become 'endless' and with nothing else on it.... I saw glass plate-art that would shine....

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Maybe 2 on each side - if you love having the mirror there.

Paragon Scenic Contemporary Serene Pack of 4 Wall Art 7634 · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Another 'texture' of fabric?

Wheat Field with Crows Wall Tapestry · More Info

• lwiding
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm not attached to the mirror! I've picked out really ugly art in the past so that's why I pick mirrors! I love all the art you all are suggesting! I'm going to pick out a larger rug and layer the hide rug for sure! I love the idea of a skinny buffet on the back wall with a nice lamp for more light and I think it will warm up that wall too! All of these ideas are really helpful!
  • PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    7 years ago

There are three things that this room needs ASAP to make it feel more cozy:

1. curtains.

2. wall art.

3. and most important of all :) A chandelier!

In Galilee lighting we make unique lighting in beautiful styles. We invite you to visit our website to view our unique lighting collections.

If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or visit www.GalileeLighting.com

We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space.

CONTEMPORARY - DINING CHANDELIER, WHITE CANDLES- CONTEMPORARY GLASS CHADELIER b · More Info

CONTEMPORARY RECTANGLE WHITE GLASS CHANDELIER, PLISS`E CHANDELIER - by GALILEE L · More Info

Rain drops custom modern chandelier by Galilee Lighting · More Info

RAIN DROPS contemporary dining room by Galilee lighting · More Info

• PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    7 years ago

Some ideas with hand blown glass lighting...

REFLECTION - BLOWN GLASS GLOBE PENDANT LIGHTING · More Info

MONT BLANC BLOWN GLASS PENDANT LIGHTING, modern clear glass lighting · More Info

CUSTOM BEAUTIFUL HAND BLOWN GLASS PENDANT LIGHTING · More Info

GLORY - HAND BLOWN GLASS PENDANT LIGHTING, BLOWN-GLASS-LIGHTING-CHANDELIER · More Info

• PRO
    Transitional Designs, LLC
    7 years ago

Hi ~ I suggest turning the table length wise in front of windows. Place mirror in a different location. Add a large piece of art. Find or take a photo, maybe of nature to compliment view and have it imposed onto a canvas. Add simple patterned fabric window panels that tie in with kitchen counter tops/granite colors. A good sized area rug with texture and pattern. Add a large scale hurricane candle holder as center piece with runner and smaller votives. I agree about new light fixture if electrical and budget work to make that happen.

• PRO
    Avenue A Interiors
    7 years ago

A quick simple solution would be to add a tree in the corner. New host/hostess chairs, draperies and artwork would also help warm up this space.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

With table 1 art piece. No table, probably easier to find 2 [instead of a very huge 1]. If 2 art pieces, add a 3rd thing if you want: a tall plant in the corner.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

My hanging chair funky idea wasn't great, seeing you have counter chairs too - don't need any more chairs. But color in a pattern for 2 'host' chairs could be great.

• lwiding
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I got the curtains up and the rug down!!! The chairs aren't back in place yet because I was rushing out of the house! Next I need one of those skinny tables for the wall I think ? And new art!!
  • PRO
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

The large rug is great. Remove the hide rug, and turn the table the other direction so it follows the length of the rug.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Good on the rug, and yes, as I mentioned before, turn the table length wise in front of windows. Enjoy your holidays. Let it rest for a while so you don't become overwhelmed.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Oh... if you are attached to that hide consider it being mounted on the wall. I realize it's dark but it would have a big impact.