loves2shop4

Anyone have Silestone countertops in Ocean Jasper?

loves2shop

If so can you share pics of your kitchen please.

• Sheri Lund
    I would look at any countertop vendor you have in your area. Where I live, the business name was fabricators unlimited. My lowes contracted through fabricators for the countertops and installation. I did not order the OJ through lowes (even though I could have)I ordered it through the lumber company that supplied our lumber and construction material because the countertop business “fabricators unlimited” doesn’t sell direct to customer only through a contractor, lumber or big box store. I am not sure why they would hesitate to see something that they don’t want to install. Also you can’t just order quartz countertops, who ever sells the countertop has to come to your home and get a laser footprint of where it will be placed. So if lowes sells it then the supplier has to come and set up its survey laser to get exact measurements and that supplier should be the ones to install it to guarantee the stone and work of the installation.
  • casa_de_malcuth

Bev Chavez,

Yes, that much I already know. I was just wondering if I there was someplace else where I can get it and have it cut etc.other than Lowes

Sheri Lund,

That is interesting because the lady just asked us how long the counters were and we did a graphic layout of the kitchen. I wonder if the next step would have been them sending someone out. My contractor is fine with whatever I purchase it's just that it's in the contract that he is the installer. I told Lowes that and they didn't even mention that.

Has anyone used quartz such as Caesarstone/Silestone for a backsplash?

Hi there, we regularly use a full height quartz backsplash in our projects. My personal feeling is that if you are shooting for a contemporary kitchen, this can be a great look. However, depending on your color selection and the adjacent cabinetry, full height solid surface materials can feel sterile...so choose your color and materials palate with care. Good luck!

SILESTONE LUSSO ANYONE??

Going for an effect similar to this, but modern. We chose flat faced cabinet faces. Cherry on bottom and white on top. Silestone Lusso counter. This is not our kitchen. We chose to let the Lusso be the star of the show and keep the backsplash more interesting than white, but subtler than many other backsplashes. Cabinets: We chose two tone kitchen. Cherry stained maple on the bottom cabinet. And "Benjamin Moore OC-117 Simply White" for the top cabinets. (Cabinets are Ikea with custom fronts) fronts we used www.thecabinetfronts.com Big help for us in choosing whites was the whites ebook from Maria Killam We did just as her book instructs and made LARGE (1/2 posterboard sized) samples of four different whites and observed them in the room at different times of the day. It became obvious very quickly which white would show as dirty and which would show off the Lusso. BUT every kitchen is different, so you can't go with what others say. You must test in your own room with your own lighting and other finishes. www.MariaKillam.com Backsplash: The backsplash (so far) is 3" x 12" glass tiles from Gramar. They are a pale goldish tint with some shimmer at the back (no name available) which looks great with the countertop gold veins. When the Lusso is next to the backsplash, it turns the backsplash an even lighter shade of gold, almost white. I would prefer a solid tile, but the husband loves glass, so here we are. We are installing the tile in long stacked style. Not bricklaying style. It's a small kitchen and we are using the optical illusion to add some length. Turns out the gold tile is the same color as our ipad cover...haha!!! Flooring: CoreTec Oak - closest match we could get to our real oak floors w/out doing real oak. Laundry and kitchen we wanted WATERPROOF. We'll post before and after photos when it's done. And we'll see if we got the right blend of colors. ;-)

Has anyone used Silestone Ocean Storm in their kitchen?

Hi, Haha. Okay. Can I ask why? We are doing white shaker cabinets with silver hardware and a white subway tile backsplash (with gray grout). Undecided on the floor - wanted to carry the light pine hardwood that's in the rest of the house into the kitchen, but that seems like it will be too expensive. We're thinking of going with a slate-like dark gray tile or faux hardwoods that look whitewashed. Thanks, Chelsea

1.2cm silestone countertops (white zeus extreme) - IKEA Cabinets-HELP!

I'm with GreenDesigns, use at least 2cm. There's a reason that the fabricators are nervous. If they damage it before getting it down on your cabinetry, they own it. And at that thickness, one misstep & a twist & it could snap. You're asking them to take a risk on what would be considered a substandard thickness for countertop. 1cm is way too thin for countertop. PS... From SieMatic.... "... 1 CM LOOK Its delicate charm is created by the mere 1 cm thickness of the stone surface, combined with an invisible support structure, " While I'm not familiar with theirs, it reads to me as it may be a substrate adhered to the 1cm material. I may be incorrect. Not a fan of this regardless.
  • Bev Chavez
    You can go to silesstone usa.com and look for a distributor in your area.
  • Cindy Winkle
    We just had Ocean Jasper countertops installed and we love them! We are struggling to decide on black splash! We have white shaker style cabinets and stainless steel appliances. Any suggestions, especially with pictures, would be appreciated!
  • Sheri Lund
    @Cindy did you scroll through the comments? There are a lot of pics ppl posted.
    I have simple white subway tile. Reason why I chose that was bcz we have open concept and we have so many focal points didn’t want to take away from the fireplace or reclaimed wood pan ceiling, and I felt it may be to much going on for anything else. Take a look at your layout is kitchen off by itself or open concept? Do you want your backsplash to be a focal point or standout?
    Good luck! I don’t wish I was back making those choices again.
    I have pictures further up in discussion.
  • Cindy Winkle

Thank you thank you so much for your response! My kitchen is open concept with our great room. I am leaning toward white subway tile also because I certainly don't want to take away from the beauty of the quartz. I will scroll the photos! Much appreciated!

• Wendy Fullerton

I love seeing these pictures!!! We are getting ready to make a full kitchen remodel purchase from Lowe's. Almost 98% decided on Ocean Jasper with white shaker cabinets. Anyone else have any more pictures of this stone in their kitchen?

• Penny Page-Rush
    Love our Ocean Jasper. The tile backsplash is going in tomorrow and as soon as it is complete, I will share pictures.
  • Jessica

I'm so glad I followed this thread when I was redoing my kitchen! I LOVE the ocean jasper. As many of you have said, it's even prettier in person. It sparkles so much =) We went with white subway tile and "Silver Satin" (again thanks to these threads) for the wall color.

• Jill McQueeney

We just ordered OJ for our kitchen remodel and should get it installed in the next few weeks! This thread has made me even more excited about it. I'm thinking about having a Carrara Marble back splash and would love some feedback. Our perimeter cabinets will be white, our island will be a medium gray stain, dark brown wood floors.

• Sheri Lund
    Jill I think it would look amazing! All of those combos will be very rich together. I bet you are excited to get it finished.
  • Sheri Lund
    Jessica your kitchen looks wonderful! I’m glad this thread helped. When we were building our house every decision I made felt right, when I finally picked out the stuff I liked, but not without some self doubt. I sometimes felt like one wrong choice and it would being something I would have to live with for eternity. Not many threads out there when I was looking for advice or reviews on ocean jasper so this thread did what it was supposed to do for many of us. I love your choices! The paint color, back splash and counter tops were what we have and we finally moved in a yr ago and we love it.
    Here is a link to some pics our contractor had taken for his website.

https://christinajodesignphotography.pixieset.com/lundhome/
  • Jill McQueeney

Sheri, your home is absolutely gorgeous! Your choices turned out great. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

• Kristie W

Just dropping this here for anyone in the future... I fell in love with Ocean Jasper on display at a local appliance store. However when I went to the Silestone showroom in July 2019, I was told that the color has changed significantly due to some changes made in slab size/formula or something. It reads similar tones but much darker (maybe less white in it?) They had a thinner piece of the old formula right next to it and it was quite different. The thinner piece would have been fine for a bathroom vanity but not my kitchen. They suggested calling places to see if anyone had any leftovers from the "older version". They also advised that the samples they were giving people to take home were all of the "old version". I viewed Cambria Devon, Caesarstone Symphony Grey and Silestone Eternal Serena. The Eternal Serena was much nicer when viewed as slab. However, it had some bluish undertones I wasn't looking for. I really liked the Symphony Grey but in the end I chose Cambria Devon.

• Marianne Campbell

Jessica, Your kitchen looks great! Can I ask you what color grout you used and also the color of your cabinets? I am worried about using white tile and cabinets together, but yours is perfect! Thank you!

• Sheri Lund

Marrianne I have white tile and white cupboards with a light grey grout. I matched mine with the lightest grey in counter top that was talked about in this thread. While I was picking out the grout the recommendations from the tile vender was not go so dark bcz it will enhance any imperfections that the tile may have around the edges. No tile is perfect.
    I wanted to have a darker grout like you see in pictures but the installer agreed with the vendor who supplied the tiles, you can’t see the imperfections in pics but in person there are always many especially if you have a subway tile or an all white tile. He said he does do the dark grout if that is what they want however he said he has gone back more times then not to regrout with lighter grouting. Now if there is a marbling in your white tile I am not sure how the darkness of the grout would make imperfect tiles stand out I did not ask that.
    Hope this helps for the grout.
    As far as the white on white you will never be able to match them perfectly you will drive yourself mad, and they don’t have to match perfectly. My cupboards are a warmer white and the tiles are white white. I did not go with a warmer white tile bcz it all together looked yellowish and was to much blah and still did not match up perfectly. Instead I broke up the white on white and counteracted the contrast in the whites with a light grey grout and I have greenery in white pots and a bit of raw wood and stressed white wood and a splash of yellow greenery in a clear vase. I have a lot of confer space with white tiles/cupboards so it’s not cluttered it’s just enough to bring your eye away from the white. You can’t even tell there is a difference in the whites and it doesn’t look so glaringly white as the decor broke it up.

• Sheri Lund

Hope these help visualize. The white on white. The grout doesn’t show up very well on pics but in person it is enough. I like white on white bcz it creates an airy weightless feel to a space. We have an open concept home and I didn’t want my cupboards to be a focal point I wanted them to disappear or feel like they part of the room vs filling up space or a wall and if they or the tile would have been any other color it would have made the room stop at the counter. I hope I’m making sense to you when I say that.

• Marianne Campbell

Thank you for the response Sheri! Your kitchen is gorgeous. I love the dark island. We are using Ocean Jasper Silestone. Your floors look similar to ours as well, so your kitchen is a great visual! We do not have that large, lovely space. We have a condo with a family room/dining area combo and a small kitchen. My goal was to open in up to make it more seamless, so your suggestions on the cabinets are spot on for me.

We dropped the breakfast bar to counter height and I know we will love that change. Our current cabinets are pickled oak circa 1993. They have blue-gray undertones in the grain, but the pink-peachness of them I don't think is going to work. And why update everything else and leave the cabinets? I've been on the fence about painting vs. staining. I have to do them myself.

The backsplash tile we selected is a 3x12 beveled high gloss subway tile in bright white. I got white grout as was suggested by the tile manufacturer but then started to think about whether or not all that white should be broken up. I thought maybe a light gray on the cabinets but would that reduce the openness I want to achieve.

It seems to me in your kitchen the dark hardware you selected breaks up the white on white subtly. I have dark hardware picked out also. I like that look in your kitchen. Are they black or a dark bronze?

I think the light gray grout is going to be the best option after seeing your photos! Thanks again!

If anyone wants to weigh in with tips on DIY painting cabinets, please feel free!

• Marianne Campbell

Sheri, Can I also ask what type and or brand of switch plate covers and outlet covers you used with your white subway tile? Thank you!

• Sheri Lund

Marianne, I do not know. We built our house and the electrician supplied all that stuff. It does have a kind of soft pearly matte finish. I have seen them glossy but never the pearly finish that we have. Our electrician doesn’t buy from big box stores that I know. If you go to any independent lighting store you will also find many different kinds of finishes for the face plates.

• Desiree Reinhard

Can someone tell me how much this countertop is? we are redoing our kitchen would love this counter, white shaker cabinets with dark hardware and light wood floors. Comments seem super positive! :)

• Sheri Lund

You would need to check with the supplier in your area. I found ours through a couple different places private business and through Lowe’s it will depend on what they charge for the product and labor, material, other services or styles(style of corners, backsplash etc) If you have a Lowe’s or any where else that carries it in your area you can give them a rough estimate on the linear footage and they. Can give you an estimate. When they come out to do exact measurements with a laser then they will give you what it will cost. Unfortunately I don’t remember what it was a per foot. I think most of us here has had the counter tops for at least a yr or more and prices could change over time and vary from place to place.

• Jill McQueeney

Our kitchen is still in progress but we got our OJ countertops installed yesterday! When I walked in and saw them, I was speechless. They are so pretty, it was overwhelming!! Even more beautiful than I expected. The sparkles are to die for...and I was able to get a couple pictures showing the sparkles. Just wanted to share these in case anyone is still on the fence.

• Jill McQueeney

Close up of the sparkles...

• Sheri Lund

Oj certainly doesn’t disappoint!! It’s well worth the money for sure!!

• tonidickerson

Hello everyone! Your pictures of Ocean Jasper are gorgeous! I have a question for those of you that have this installed in your kitchen. Does Ocean Jasper have a grey or a taupe look? Thank you in advance.

• Sheri Lund

I would say both. Right now in the evening with the lights in it looks grey but in natural light it has a taupe look. You can order samples from Lowe’s if they still carry OJ. you order online and they will send to you fairly quickly.
    I think one sees the difference in different lighting bcz they have both grey and taupe tones in the counter tops.

• tonidickerson

Thank you Sheri! That confirms what I have been seeing too. Our counter top company allowed us to bring home a good size sample to be able to help make our decision and check out back splash and floors to go with it. You are right - it does have the grey look at night.

I am ready to buy OJ, but every supplier I have spoken to in the last 3 weeks says it’s on back order and they can not provide me with even a possible lead time (Thanksgiving/January). I am so disappointed. They all report that this is a national shortage. Has anyone else heard this?

• Sheri Lund

When I picked OJ out they did say this was a very popular choice but I had no issues with backorders but that was well over a yr ago. Do you have that kind of time for your project? If you do it is well worth the wait.

• Marianne Campbell

We had our space measured by the fabricators on July 11 and had to wait until September 13 for the install. Ocean Jasper was worth the wait! Simply gorgeous!

Cabinets were ordered last week and will be here Oct 9th. I’m willing to wait 2 months, but they seem hesitant to give me any time frame. when they came to measure did they have a lead time?

• Marianne Campbell

After they sent someone to measure the project manager at the fabricator called to tell me it would be four to six weeks. They offered to let me select another color. It took more than six weeks because once the stone is in it has to be fabricated. Then they scheduled an install date. A little inconvenient to be without a sink and dishwasher for so long. We survived with paper plates and plastic cutlery and cups which gave me some anxiety over all the waste, but it was worth it. The counters are gorgeous. It's like Jill McQueeny said, it's the sparkles. They're amazing! :)

• Sheri Lund

I believe it was 4-6 but they said that was standard for them.

• Jill McQueeney

tonidickerson, our little sample tile looked more taupe, but our actual stone looks very gray, which I'm thrilled about since our color scheme is gray and white. We don't have a ton of natural light in the kitchen so it's possible if we did, it would have more of a taupe hue, but ours are more gray. The countertops are the very first thing people notice when they walk in. Most of the women that have seen our new (still unfinished) kitchen literally gasp when they see them and go on and on about them.

HU-512824189, our entire process has taken so long that I can't even remember how long it was between the time I ordered them and the time they were ready to be installed. It may have been 4-6 weeks, but it may have been less and we just weren't ready for them yet. (when your husband is the contractor doing a lot of the work, it gets done after hours and on the weekend...but of course weekends are difficult because he golfs lol). From the time they came to do the template to the time they were installed, it was 2 weeks. If you can find a way to wait whatever timeframe they eventually give you, they're completely worth it in my opinion.

• Danielle Rawson

I just recently installed ocean jasper and figured I’d post my pictures! The last image has a picture of seam and you’ll be hard pressed to find it. I can’t hardly even see it in person.

• tonidickerson

Jill McQueeney, I love your pictures and your stone looks beautiful. I hope I am as lucky as your are in the grey color of the stone. We are using white cabinets and grey color scheme as well. I saw a larger piece of the Ocean Jasper today and it was gorgeous with all the sparkles. It wasn't a slab size, it was just larger than the 6 x 12 inch I have to look at.

• tonidickerson

Danielle Rawson, I don't see your pictures here. I would love to see them and see how well the seam looks.

• Sylmac Vesque

Hi we are almost done our new kitchen (waiting on backsplash, fan and pot filler now) We did go with Ocean Jasper and it wasn't long at all. From time of order to install just 2 weeks. We are over the moon with the results :) The color is even more beautiful in person.

• Alessandra Engels

Do you have more pics of it with dark wood cabinets? We are considering ocean jasper but will have dark cabinets and don't want the room to look too dark.

• Sheri Lund

Alessandra there are a bunch of photos up in the thread. I know I posted a bunch and a few others did too. Personally I love the OJ against the dark. I don’t feel it’s to dark at all more warm and inviting however we have a very airy light filled, open concept space,I don’t know what your area is like so you will also have to take into consideration the other textures in the room. Like so you have dark floors, darker walls, how is the lighting both natural and artificial, what is your back splash like light or dark and then go from there. You can have a dark cupboard and everything else is light it would act as an anchor and not feel like things are to dark, or you could have dark cupboards and not such good lighting and darker walls and it may look to dark for you.

• Sheri Lund

Two different photos one with lighting one with out a lot of light.

Has anyone used a granite/quartz composite sink with OJ? If so what brand and specifically what color. Having a hard time choosing?

• Sylmac Vesque

Hi HU-512824189 , I have - We used the Blanko double sink in metallic grey. We love the look with OJ.

• Marianne Campbell

We used Karran quartz in concrete and absolutely love it!

• Wende B

Thanks for posting this picture. We've ordered the OJ and were considering the grey quartz sink. This has sold us on it!

Thank you Slymac Vesque. We also went with the Blanco in the same color. We matched from the tiny sample so I am happy to see this picture and to hear you‘re happy. Thanks again.

• Sylmac Vesque

We are all finished now and really couldn't be happier with our choices. The input on this thread helped in our choices without a doubt! Thank-you :)

• Mary McCarthy

Has anyone been given a time frame on OJ availability? We were measured a couple weeks ago and they told me today that it was in production but they didn’t have availability date.

• Rochelle Rasper

We purchased from Lowe’s at the beginning of October. The fabricator was unable to give us any time-line at all. They did come to measure lAst Wednesday and said they had a limited supply. We just went and saw the slab today and it will be installed next Wednesday. A women working for the fabricator said that it was going to go on backorder again and we were lucky to get this slab. I’m not sure what the issue is.