Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbchic

Kitchen window dilemma

tbchic
7 years ago
I posted in here before so sorry if this appears to be somewhat similar to what I already posted. I am looking for help on what to do with these 2 windows. They are causing a lot of issues with cabinets and sizes. Due to the windows they are mounted higher than standard 18" I think they are at 22". What would you do with these windows?

1- remove windows
2- shrink width and add height. If so what size and does it need to be centered to the wall? Will it look weird because there is no sink beneath it?
3- shorten height of windows to allow 18" mount height
4- any other suggestions?

I want 18" mount height since I am short and have trouble reaching as they are now. Also most cabinets I have seen are 39" and won't work in that section.

Thanks for your feedback

Comments (24)

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

removing the windows will make you kitchen dark I would remove the cabinets and make the window bigger.

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

Green Kitchen · More Info

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

Traditional Coastal Kitchen Design · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

What is your set aside in the budget to deal with the issue? 2K? 5K? 10K? Do you want to deal with the exterior work and finish issues? The structural issues? How will dealing with the windows impact the rest of your overall budget?

I like the nice contemporary touch of the backsplash windows personally, and would not change them. Especially if there is auxiliary storage elsewhere, like a pantry. It fits an 80'scontemporary home well, along with some great slab door cabinets and a white counter.

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    7 years ago

Since it looks like your space is open to other rooms(and other sources of light, I assume), I would be inclined to remove the windows. I think they are odd, especially with the shades on them. My 2nd option would be to go with a narrower, standard height window, probably the width of the center two cabinets one that wall. I do not think it will look weird to not have the sink there. Of course, both of these options will require work to the exterior. Do the cabinet layout first before you decide on the window. Cabinet size may determine the width of the window. And try to make the best use of your corner cabinets - you don't want wasted space in a smaller kitchen.

• tbchic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    There are other sources of light pic below. Part of me thinks a taller window will compliment the other larger windows but then I run into losing storage on part of that wall and additional costs. My husband has friends who are licensed contractors who will be able to help lower costs. But budget around 2k for window situation. If it is a load bearing wall I guess we will have to cross that when the time comes.

Similar if we need to remove the windows I guess.

Just not sure either way. I don't like he Windows how they are now but would have lived with them if finding cabinets to work was not such an issue. I want the other cabinets to be a standard 18" which they are not right now.
  • lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- Are you working towards a kitchen remodel ? Because it looks like that is what you really need instead of trying to piece meal problems away . Other wise remove the upper cabinets and move the windows up to the proper height for you . You didn't show us the other wall so not sure if you need extra storage but this kitchen could use a nice bigger window for sure .

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Finding cabinets is a complete non issue. Any semi custom cabinet company that truly IS semi custom has cabinets in any number of heights available. And many can do custom heights as well. if you aren't finding the right size cabinets, then you are looking at builder grade ones.

Any alteration of the windows would exceed 2K in materials. Even if there were free labor. Which I doubt any Pro would provide, friend or not. The contractual situation just becomes too muddled. The absolute worst situations involve working for friends or family. That how you end up not speaking for decades.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Remove the shades and grow some herbs there in long slender rectangular boxes. Without a comprehensive remodel, altering the windows is not a cost effective option.

• tbchic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lefty47- yes kitchen remodel. Whole kitchen will be demo'd and flooring throughout living and kitchen removed.

We are trying to keep pony wall but straighten it out. Basically cut it off where it bends. Plumbing for sink is in pony wall and trying to save money by keeping it where it is and also keeping a nice work triangle. Thought about moving sink to the wall with windows but it is close distance to stove(we are putting a range in and replacing wall oven with pantry.) and along window wall not enough for dishwasher.

Windows have been an issue since the beginning. Trying to see what options are with that area. Not looking to get rid of the nook next to it.

I don't have many options on the windows just trying to make the best of that situation.
  • tbchic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What would a comprehensive remodel look like?
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

I'd go with first suggestion. Make one large window. I always want more windows, NOT less.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Well it would include altering the outside of your house. Also the dropped soffit is currently designed for that pony shape.

• tbchic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Suzy q- gotcha - I see what you mean about the sofit matching the pony wall. I will be removing that shape on the pony wall regardless but what a terrible design. Next time I buy a house I know what to pay more attention to
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Do you need the privacy provided by those shades?

• tbchic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Madden slick bontempo- not really. I rarely draw them down because the windows are so small. They were here when we bought the house and we kept them up because we weren't sure if we would need them. Now that we have been here for awhile i can say we don't need them with that window height. Our neighbors may be able to see through them if they look hard enough, but I guess I don't care because the windows are so tiny. If we did make he window taller I would want something though.

The cabinets I was liking must be builder grade. They seemed nice and the price was good. I got quotes on semi custom while keeping windows and for that price I could change the window and go with the less expensive cabinets. So I guess either way I'm spending the same amount of money.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

I am going back to my original suggestion - remove the windows and fill the siding on the exterior. From your pictures, the kitchen looks very open to me,. I would probably also keep the angle that follows the soffit, unless it is really awful to work around. I would spend the money on better cabinets and better lighting. Replace the box fixture in the middle of the room, add under-cabinet lighting and drop some pretty pendants over the peninsula. Do you have a kitchen designer?

• Paul Chevlin
    7 years ago

Remove cabinets and replace with larger windows. Move sink to windows and move dishwasher to where sink is now. You will still have your work triangle and you will open up more space on the peninsula.

• tbchic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I received quotes from a couple of kd. They both suggested I move the sink under the window wall and make bigger window but I'm not sure since it might make the work area more crammed. Also the plumbing cost not sure if it's worth it.

The angled peninsula is very crammed and only 1 person can fit through at a time and you are stuck in there if someone is in the area.

So my options I guess
    1- make big window lose storage
    2- semi custom and keep windows as is. I pulled the shades up to see what it would look like if they were removed.

I like the light that comes through there and just drew the shades and it looks dreary - see pic so maybe that's not a good idea.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Do you have a floor plan?

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

A new regular height window would give you a clear view of the fenced pool area and the play area outside.

You can put the sink under the new window and a dishwasher in the shortened peninsula. You can also use an 18" dishwasher instead of a 24" dishwasher if you want to keep the dishwasher next to the sink on the window wall.

Consider storing some plates and glasses in a drawer in the peninsula, too.

• tbchic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's the floor plan that's the full room
    The kitchen area is the bottom of the pic.

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

Kitchen View · More Info