Software
Houzz Logo Print
sapienti

Which roller shades for traditional living room: airy vs. privacy

9 years ago

I'd really appreciate your help on this one.

First I had grayish beige linen panels at the sides of our floor-to-ceiling window, completed with white flowered sheer curtains and was quite happy with it and the airy and relaxed feel it gave until the linens got accidentally spoilt. Now my husband wants roller shades instead.

Actually I'm not a fan of this idea but he wants some more privacy and so I am trying to find some compromise. I was thinking of leaving the sheers and adding 3 darker roller shades behind them, maybe in cacao like the sofas, with an arched bottom to give an idea like here:

maybe with some molding-like finish? (that I don't feel like sitting in a box) or is it gonna make the room darker, more closed, heavy and formal?

Or should I go for a lighter version? Like sand-beige like the walls?

Another thought as an option was using white roller shades with floral print instead of sheer curtains, something like this :

But is it gonna provide enough privacy in the evening? Probably not, so I'd need one more layer of roller shades?

And how roller shades are going to fit into our pretty traditional living room?

I'm feeling somewhat helpless...

Maybe you could give me a better idea than any above. Thank you in advance.

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I really like your thoughts for the drapes + rollers like in the sample picture. I don't think I would go as dark as the couches, but a white or beige to match the walls would be really classy (either both the same, or the drapes in white and the shades in beige). I'm not personally a fan of printed shades, but if you want to try one, you could probably get one from a local store, see how it looks, and return it if it doesn't speak to you.

    sapienti thanked 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • 9 years ago

    Patricia, thank you very much for your advice! This is so great to have a professional opinion.

    Maybe I'm not too familiar with styles. Should it be called transitional then? Dining and coffee tables, area rug, chandeliers, white wooden panels in DR, cabinets hardware? They look pretty traditional to me. Getting some more money I'd replace the chairs as well))) because I'm not very much into modern (the sitting group was not my idea either, have to live with that))

    The problem is that I did have drapes but my husband doesn't want them again. He wants roller shades - for privacy and maybe because they are easier to handle. And I don't like their formality and - their being modern)))

    Anyway I understood what you were trying to tell me. Thanks again! Maybe I get lucky and can convince him otherwise))



  • 9 years ago

    123 Remodeling Inc.,

    I'm sure that your clients just love working with you because of your attention to their needs and because of the so nice and elegant way to put your opinion which was absolutely helpful to me now - thank you so much!


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hey There: I believe that a light fabric roman shade will work perfect for your place. The fabric can be white, off white with an interesting texture - translucent will give you the needed privacy. Do not use a valance - this will build up to much and will take away from you casing...Good Luck with your project

    sapienti thanked Fenstermann LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Fenstermann LCC,

    Thank you! I also believe that romans would look wonderful. I used them in the kids' room and love the result.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    At the moment we've landed at this version:

    We did take solar shades and they are off white (something like RAL 9010), when day light on them they perfectly blend with the colour of the walls.

    As to panels my husband didn't want everything white, so we've got the shown above.

    I also find grommets to be a good idea which I couldn't realise just yet and am thinking of maybe changing the rod.

    Thank you all once again for your advice and inspiration!

    Best wishes in the new year :)