Software
Houzz Logo Print
nadda114

Quartz vs granite

9 years ago
Love this counter top ! What are the differences between this and granite? Is granite more expensive?
All That and Then Some - Naperville Kitchen · More Info

Comments (10)

  • 9 years ago
    It completely depends on which granite you pick on how prices compare to quartz. Consider going to a slab showroom and seeing both. They can give you a per sq ft pricing for those you like.
    sanada mila thanked Carrie D
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    From what I have learned in speaking to designers in kitchen showrooms, quartz is much better with durability, scratches, and is not as porous as granite. I have learned more people are using quartz these days and the price range is comparable to granite. I am no pro, but that is what I have learned. Depends what you want it to look like too, you can get a lot of veining with granite.

    sanada mila thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Oh and one more thing I should have mentioned you don't have to seal quartz.

    sanada mila thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    hello plaft: engineered quartz is not as heat resistant as granite... granite is heat resistant, eng. quartz, being resin based cannot endure more than certain temperature.. there is a health body website that states all temperature limits, usually engineered quartz is pretty low, baking a cake and placing the hot tray on top of the engineered quartz may damage it


    engineered quartz is in its learning curve: today`s consumers are testing the product; natural stone is tested and approved for thousands of years

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @Daniel Konrad Link--I personally don't believe anyone should put a hot tray or pot on any counter. I was thinking more like a bowl of warm soup. But thanks for enlightening me, as I said I am not a pro only learning about it too.

  • 9 years ago

    hello plaft: nice, thank you Friend, all the best

  • 9 years ago

    What quartzite countertop is this?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Click More Info, this project has tags.

  • 7 years ago
    Quartzite is a natural stone that is harder than granite. And some versions have an appearance more like marble. These reasons are why it is more expensive than most granite.