Software
Houzz Logo Print
ceb65

So Upset about cabinets

9 years ago

Driftwood Kitchen · More Info

I found a driftwood color for new cabinets. THe above is what I was looking for. They are mostly grey with a tinge of blue and rose in them. Picked countertop to match. Cabinet maker said he couldn't get those cabinets but said he could get close by staining them. Apparently that didn't work so he said he found something very similar and ordered without showing me. I'm sick about it.
kitchen · More Info

I even took the sample door on left to him and said this is what I want.

Comments (44)

  • 9 years ago

    It looks like a big difference between what you asked for and what you got. I would be sick about it too.

    Have you talked to the cabinet maker about the difference? What did he say? Do you have anything in writing?

    ceb65 thanked Architectural Notice
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is not as the cabinet maker states "very similar". Would not accept that. Not sure why the cabinet maker would have done this without getting you to approve a sample prior to ordering.

    Graham

    ceb65 thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • 9 years ago

    So the door on the right is what he came up with. If he ordered them without your ok then that's not your problem, it's his. Have you paid him anything? are they installed? Anything in writing?

    ceb65 thanked Angel 18432
  • 9 years ago

    Nothing in writing, haven't paid anything and they are still in workshop assembled. He didn't offer any solution or reasoning. I said I wished he would have just ordered one door and shown me. He didn't say anything. I don't like confrontation and he's a super nice guy but it's a lot of money. I am not keeping them; I can't. I'm just baffled. They are 3 months late as well so I don't know if when the staining didn't work he panicked or what.

  • 9 years ago

    Why didn't he gave a finisher match them for you? I mean, you even gave him a door for Petes sake.

    ceb65 thanked Kris Mays
  • 9 years ago

    He is not saying anything, because he knows that he F.....up, and in his profession he understands people - thus, he knows you don't like confrontation. Sometimes, you have to stand up for yourself, because if you don't.........who will????

    ceb65 thanked shirlpp
  • 9 years ago

    yeah, you didn't approve them before ordered, you shouldn't take them -- not sure if he could 'bleach' the wood at this stage to lighten it into the tones you want -- grain would be different -- but basically HIS mistake HIS out-of-pocket -- not yours

    ceb65 thanked samsamyd
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all. I feel a little less crazy. I wanted lighter they are darker, I wanted smooth they are heavily textured. I will let you know how I make out.

  • 9 years ago

    Please do, and good luck. I'm sure it will all work out in the end, even tho it seems quite a headache right now. As stated, his mistake. If he can't do the job, then maybe you will have to go elsewhere. I know you feel bad because he is such a nice guy, but he will learn his lesson the hard way - unfortunately.

    ceb65 thanked Angel 18432
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Simple. You gave him a sample of what you wanted. He ordered something that didnt match without your approval. Cabinet guy needs to fix it or you need to go somewhere else.
    ceb65 thanked Jorgenson Builders
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    ceb65....look, you, as a customer, are paying good money for a specific item. You gave him the door. He said he could do very similar. Now why this guy went ahead and ordered without having you OK it, is stupid and unprofessional. But why do you think you have to accept it? Because he's a nice guy? because you don't like confrontation? If you ordered a turkey sandwich and got tunafish, which you despise, would you eat the sandwich or send it back and tell them to bring the turkey? Same thing. Tell the man that you're sorry, you will not be paying for these cabinets because you don't like them, it's not what you asked for, and he didn't ok it with you first. HIS mistake. why on earth would you be ok with paying for his screwup? Don't be a doormat.

    ceb65 thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago
    Yes, I agree. Don't be a doormat. If you are, then find a friend to help you get this done. Consider yourself lucky that you:
    1. Have nothing in writing
    2. Have not paid anything yet
    Find someone else and start over for Heaven's sake!
    ceb65 thanked sunnydrew
  • 9 years ago

    There will only be a confrontation if he is not the super nice guy you think he is. A super nice guy who is also a professional will graciously acknowledge his error and make it right.

    A bully will make you feel like a jerk for not rolling over for him. THAT would require a confrontation.

    ceb65 thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 9 years ago

    HI -- I hope this gets sorted out for you but apart from this problem , I think you should have had a full gable on that end to hide the fridge . The design of the kitchen should have included that gable for a finished look.

  • 9 years ago

    Hey lefty, that isn't her kitchen. Did you even read the post?

  • 9 years ago
    He is just waiting for you to give in. Stand your ground.
    ceb65 thanked Relsa
  • 9 years ago

    My cabinet maker actually gave me a stained door to review before building anything. We went through a couple of version of stains before we came to just the right one and we agreed to go into production. Giving it to you afterwards is just wrong. I hope it gets resolved easily for you.

    ceb65 thanked Wendy
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @ceb65

    Any cabinet maker who proceeds to order cabinetry, or finish cabinetry to any stain, or paint, or finish without an actual "strike sample" and signed/ approved document from the end consumer of said cabinetry, and a deposit on signed approval.........is 100% OUT OF HIS OR HER MIND....... and deserves their financial fate. End of discussion : )

    Tip for you: Very similar is usually different than "same" or "close" and is entirely subjective. Personally, I think you were spared a very dated effect up the road. But that is jmho. Cabinetry color is up to you........but kitchens are a once in a blue moon "thing", and expensive for most consumers. I still remember a wash on maple that was tinged with rose and it died seven thousand deaths before it largely disappeared via remodel and DIY paint jobs, from planet earth.

    The cabinetry you were coveting, was a custom finish on red oak, (probably select grade) My guess is he ordered unfinished "boxes" and could not get the look in ordinary oak, far too yellow/orange to begin. that's my guess.

    ceb65 thanked JAN MOYER
  • 9 years ago

    So I called him today and told him they were way too different from what I had asked for. He was good about it so far and said the only thing we can do is start over with another door. So I will be going there thursday or friday. Pretty sure he knew that was what I was going to say. Thank you all so much for your advice!

  • 9 years ago

    Jan Moyer I think you are absolutely right about the staining not working for him. He said he couldn't get the red out.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    ceb65

    Exactly. More importantly, I'd consider a more timeless paint finish on maple. You might have been saved : ) I think the question is......will you ever do this kitchen again, and how far up the road is that?

    ceb65 thanked JAN MOYER
  • 9 years ago

    See if he can get any white oak. The grain on white oak is less and there is no pink tone to the wood.

    ceb65 thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago

    I don't know Jan I really like the driftwood look. We are on a farm and it really appeals to me. Our kitchen is west facing so it would lighten it up in the morning as well, but thank you for the advice. I will think it over for sure.

    Beth H. I think I'm just going to pick something that doesn't require him to stain. Thx.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    ceb65,,,,this is white oak that I stained in a weathered gray. I did use a liming wax on it for a ceruse effect. That color you want looks like "Sunbleached". Have him try it on white oak.

    white oak planks joined together to make a desk top.
    varathane weathered gray and liming wax

    here is the sunbleached . A combo of the two in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio might yield your color.

    ceb65 thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago

    I would be upset too, since he ordered them without your approval. But I agree with Jan. IMO the cabinets he ordered look so much better than the sample picture you were working from.

    ceb65 thanked calidesign
  • 9 years ago
    Beth H. You go out of your way to help people. Luv you!
  • 9 years ago

    The only thing I am sure about is my countertop and it is Madura Pearl. I feel totally confused for cabinets...suggestions???

  • 9 years ago


    Countertops & Backsplashes · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I personally like his better but that's not the point. Get what you want and tell him you want to approve a sample before the big order is done

  • 9 years ago

    ssm5525 I will do that for sure thx. I should have worded it better; wondering about new ideas for cabinet color besides my initial pick.

  • 9 years ago

    Can you post pics of your space? Is this a remodel or new construction? Is anything existing in the space?

  • 9 years ago


    kitchen · More Info
    It's a remodel

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    I personally would do white in that space.

  • 9 years ago

    I would also want more counter space for the stove which would mean moving fridge to sink wall

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Vent?

  • 9 years ago

    Blueprints and countertop. I was worried about the space between fridge and stove as well but we have had it like this for 6 months And it's working well. The new fridge will open the other way and it will be recessed to counter depth.

  • 9 years ago
    Start a new thread for just your remodel and photos.
  • 9 years ago

    We have never had a vent. If we do it will be a self venting/circulating.

  • 9 years ago

    I would post your layout and plans in the gardwnweb section of Houzz under kitchens.

  • 9 years ago

    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath

    Post here. They will help maximize space and suggest the best functional layout for your budget.