Software
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_ruetz

what should I do to tie everything together?

9 years ago
I have new furniture but wondering if I should change lamps and accent colour. what else can I do to finish the room off?

Comments (117)

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Uttermost 28097-1 Marias Black Metal Floor Lamp · More Info
    this is interesting floor lamp with tripod base in the black with foil gold liner which would reflect some very nice light, especially with the purple wall behind the art piece!

  • 9 years ago
    I have rearranged my furniture and took some photos but I'm having trouble uploading them again. there are no ceiling lights in this room so lighting is important
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some updated photos. I'm waiting for hubby to move the tree and we will need to hang artwork in new locations but what are your thoughts?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I know the photo is sentimental, but can you try moving it to where the clock is and place the sunset picture over your couch? The little photo on the right of the window is too small for that spot too. Maybe find a better home.

  • 9 years ago
    a few more pics.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Looking good! Pull the chairs toward sofa a bit. And turn just a bit toward fireplace. Then with artwork and fireplace changes really nice. Then nice rug to anchor your seating arrangement will be really great. But, what do you think? I can see that wall behind sofa purple! Shows off your furniture so much better. Feels bigger from my long distance view.
  • 9 years ago

    I like the arrangement if the chairs were a bit closer together. FP is good on that wall, but disappears because both are so dark. I'm not sure if there is a good solution without repainting the wall. If you put a lighter picture over FP, that might help a bit.

  • 9 years ago
    the print above the couch was only a cheap filler and will be coming down. I want to hang the sunset painting there for sure but it is very heavy so my husband will be hanging it later.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Yes the one chair would be better squared up to sofa and coffee table. Could you set art on top of fireplace?
  • 9 years ago

    Oh okay. Looking forward to seeing it all come together. You are doing great.

  • 9 years ago
    I think I need to go shopping for lamps, artwork and a rug. I do feel this arrangement makes the room feel larger
  • 9 years ago
    I agree that I need to play with the positioning of the chairs a bit, they don't look right yet.
  • 9 years ago
    I moved the chais a bit and put a different print on the fireplace as a filler (I think it is too small for this location)
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    So much more inviting and large! With a rug and the chairs turned will be very nice. Here is a little mock up of what we could do above fireplace.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    This is my favorite arrangement for the chairs. Yes, art definitely helps define the area between the FP and wall. I really like the black and white actually, it just needs to be bigger. Any chance you can add more matting and larger frame for either picture? I would take the very small picture down. It would be better without the too small art on one side.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    patricia · More Info
    A starburst mirror (and this one is really good price and a tall candle either side of mirror (I couldn't separate them because they come as a pair) but you can kind of get an idea of how this could look. You could put some additional candle sticks on the floor to the right of the fireplace, more carved looking ones. Then the mirror can reflect the painting! I think it will be really great! Perhaps when you move chairs, you could put the tree in front of the window? And the ottoman could be between the chairs? You can work on moving things around a bit, but I wanted to give you a visual of the fireplace wall. I think it will look really elegant and with the Painting. Amazing. Now we need a rug! Off I go! lol

  • 9 years ago
    should I change my curtains?
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Madiba Gray Rug, 7.83'x10.17' · More Info
    You could do a silver and that would stand out on your beautiful wood flooring, work with the furniture, but not take away from art, etc.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think curtains that match your wall color might be better. ;)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    With the light from your lamps on end tables and that wall purple! You won't need floor lamp I don't think. Great light.

  • 9 years ago
    adding curtains to my shopping list.
  • 9 years ago
    Flo is this what you were thinking for chair placement?
  • 9 years ago
    for the area rug, I know the front legs of the couch and chairs should be on the rug. should the end table and ottoman legs also be on it?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would slide the chairs to sides even more and move the one end table to other side of window side chair. Just open it up. I see the horse picture. That is an option, but I think you would be better with shiny and reflective on that wall so you "bounce" some light around. But getting there. We might need to put a couple dark purple velvet pillows for the sofa on your shopping list! (Do you like how I spend your money?!) lol the current pillows are too pale. It is really looking good though. What did you think about that rug I posted?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Just the front legs of sofa and chairs are key. That shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I see a large mirror in your entry. Maybe you could try that over the fireplace?? It looks big but you could get an idea of what I mean by "reflective" quality. In the entry it doesn't really reflect anything but the closet door? Might be worth a try.

  • 9 years ago
    I like the rug.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Christmas tree has to go in front of the window! I'm decorating maniac so I am having fun decorating here!

  • 9 years ago
    the mirror in the entry won't fit on top of the fireplace. I've tried it before but it is too tall I like the star burst mirror and hope I see a nice one when I'm shopping
  • 9 years ago
    I agree the tree will be moved. I tried to move it myself but only managed to spill water on the hardwood...leaving it for hubby
  • 9 years ago
    I just had an idea. the lamp in the photo below is currently in my bedroom. I have 2 of them. With the harp that's on it, it is to short but I'm wondering if I change it to a larger harp and buy nice shades if they would work in the living room. they are a shiny brass that is more of a gold colour. Very good quality but the shades don't do them justice.
  • 9 years ago
    I should mention that I've been using the camera on my tablet tonight which seems to be dulling all of the colours
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I think what you have is fine. I like their height and light.
  • 9 years ago
    ok. thanks Flo.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Ok, just thought I would mention mirror. I kind of figured it was too big. But never know. Photos are deceiving.
  • 9 years ago
    Use the wall dark color for the pillows
    Patricia thanked Silvia Lopez
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    For rug size, put blue painter tape about 4-6" under the front legs of the sofa. Then run a line all the way to at least the front legs, preferably to back legs of chairs. Then mark from the side of sofa about 6" out to side more if you can and mark the other side too. This then is the optimum size. You have to leave "walkway" room around the entry walk space etc. We like at least 3' for walking so you aren't tripping on rug edges. So you can see exactly what rug size would be best. Usually in this type space I think a 9' x 12' with the 12' across in front of the sofa would work well, however, I don't have the measurements, so I defer to you doing the layout. Then you might be able to go down a size if that makes sense. The one I posted was around 10 x 7 I think. That size would probably work for sofa front legs and chair front legs, so in the end, it will boil down to what you want to spend and what size you can get for the look you want. I would go light multi-colored (doesn't show dirt as much) grays, creams and whites, like the one I posted). No beige. No strong color. We want the painting to stand out, so no competitors allowed. lol See if that helps on the rug.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi Patricia!

    I really like the sunset painting you have, it really seems to complement the rest of the room. In terms of adding more to the room, I honestly feel there isn't much else to do. A rug could help, but everything seems to feel very tied up and complete. Consider adding a bit more accent coloring potentially?


    Patricia thanked Furnishr
  • 9 years ago

    Perhaps a garland with some string lights on the fireplace - at least for the Christmas season and maybe beyond.

    Patricia thanked christina405
  • 9 years ago

    Flo, thank you for the additional rug details. It's very helpful.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm hearing that everyone thinks I should use the dark purple for the accent colour. I will see what I can find. Thanks everyone! I'm very grateful for your help and will post more photos after I have a chance to shop and work in your ideas.


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Yes purple is your color! Glad I could help. Love to see what you find. Great time to shop! Glitz and shine above fireplace.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Any luck shopping?
  • 9 years ago
    I haven't made it out yet but hope to this week
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Oh ok. Happy shopping.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Any luck shopping?
  • 9 years ago

    You need a rug and the sofa looks better out from under the window to let in more natural light. The current picture above the sofa is vertical needs to be horizontal to scale. Also, I would put stone on the wall with the fireplace; for a focal point. Hang your curtains a little higher to draw your eye upward with low ceiling. Just an opinion.

  • 9 years ago
    Flo, I have found a few things but I don't have rug yet and I don't have the room far enough along for pics yet. Hopefully soon. my husband loves the layout and changes made so far.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That's great news. Yea, rugs are pretty hard to get just right, but you will, just give it time. With the holidays and all the pressures of the holidays, not easy. You will probably find one when you least expect it!! Let me know if I can help further.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, Flo. You've been a huge help!