Software
Houzz Logo Print
leemiller

How to protect custom velvet couch from stains!

9 years ago
Unfortunately we did not have the fabric treated when we had the couch made - it wasn't an option actually. The fabric is a 60% viscose, 30% cotton and 10% poly blend. The manufacturer doesn't have a specific recommendation so I'm hoping to get some ideas here.

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I've used Scotchguard with pretty good results.

  • 9 years ago

    Have a strict no food or beverages on the couch rule?

  • 9 years ago
    We do have a no food or beverages on couch rule, but my father who was visiting ignored it and had some coffee on the couch. I've heard mixed reviews on protecting fabric vs cleaning when there are spills.
  • 9 years ago

    Jeez. Life happens on your couch. It will get dirty. Do you want to be the person with the plastic shower cap wrap on your couch. When it get dirty, get it cleaned. Once cleaning doesn't work, recover or replace. Nothing is forever.

  • 9 years ago

    Viscose is basically rayon. It tends to bleed dye when you apply after market stain protectors. Or clean it. Velvet is one of those materials that you have to love the patina that comes with it or else do not use it.

  • 9 years ago

    Whatever you use be sure to do a test area first!!!!

  • 9 years ago
    Green designs is dry cleaning a mistake? I called the manufacturer and that is what they recommended. I can take a seat cushion off to have it cleaned, but I'm a little worried about it changing color. Alternatively, they said to try ether.
  • 9 years ago

    Just a note, if you get it cleaned you need to do the entire piece or you will have color variation.

  • 9 years ago

    Just cleaning one cushion will result in fading for that cushion. Either have the whole thing professionally cleaned,or give up and spot clean and enjoy the spots. Think about having it recovered in a couple of years.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @leemiller

    Your fabric is as below link, with the care instruction symbols listed in icons left to right, directly under the content information:

    Those icons/ symbols translate to : Do not wash. Do not bleach, Use low
    temp iron or steam, PROFESSIONAL CLEAN and Do not tumble dry.

    http://www.creations-metaphores.com/en/la-gamme-creative/p/verel-de-belval/reflets/reflets-egee-en

    I would call a VERY REPUTABLE carpet and upholstery cleaner and test an arm cover first. If the couch is a very recent purchase, contact the maker of the sofa, or whomever you purchased the com fabric from, and they will have an actual record of the fabric dye lot......and right away buy and extra three or four yards to stow away: )

    ( I will never get over the miracle that is Google, so God bless Google )

  • 9 years ago
    @JAN, Amen to Google. Who knew there was a whole world out there?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    There are many fabrics that actually cannot be scotch garded BTW and IMO this product should never be used anyway it is very bad for the environment .

  • 9 years ago

    Usually there is a cleaning code, surprised they do not have that on the piece. AGAIN if you get it cleaned, clean the ENTIRE piece I cannot stress that enough. Do a test (preferably on a part that might not be seen--the back, under an armrest cover?).

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks very much. The fabric company suggested I dry clean the cushion cover since we can zip it off - nothing was mentioned about the whole piece. I might try a dry cleaning spray just on the stain with a brush to bring back texture. Worst case we can flip the cushion. Here is what is looks like.
  • 9 years ago
    Jan, your idea to order more fabric is brilliant! I'm going to contact the place I ordered from this weekend. You always give great advice, I wish you were local to me.
  • 9 years ago

    That spot looks like its been bleached out. I'm afraid your velvet has very unstable dye. Probably not a practical choice for a sofa that gets used. Maybe for a pillow or two.

  • 9 years ago
    I don't think it's bleached out. It is rated for upholstery and has a high rating for wear. The fabric has sort of a texture or sheen. So I'm hoping it is just flattened. Anyways, I think it is Kravet that carries them in the US and the salesman recommended it for a sofa.
  • 9 years ago

    A high rub count has to do with abrasion as wear, not liquids damage. Velvet tends to be permanently crushed by liquid damage and even wire brushing it with steam often only makes it slightly better. So, maybe this is when you damage the rest of it so that you have the ''crushed velvet'' look for the whole item.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @leemiler

    Okay......DON'T zip the cover off. Please don't do that! For all we know, a ten dollar an hour receptionist answered at the fabric place! If it shrinks, AT ALL at the cleaners, you will not get it back on and it will result in a misshapen cushion if you DO get it back on, which will be akin to putting a condom on a basketball.. Flip and rotate the cushions. Call a PRO carpet and upholstery cleaner to address this on site. The viscose is the problematic content within the fabric, and worst case scenario, hopefully, is the extra yardage, a trip to the upholsterer for ONE cushion.

    The spot btw, is why viscose and water do not get along. It has a luster, it is turning up in broadloom carpet (UGH!! )...and while lovely for its ability to mimic silk with lovely shadings, it lacks any and all properties for wear and tear, plain and simple. In carpet, it will result in a "melted" appearance with a drop of water and will "yellow" a light colored fiber color to appear as a pee stain. Get the extra yardage! Call the pro and TEST first in a very inconspicuous spot.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    PS..... the look of velvet can be great. I've gone through a gazillion yards of "PERFORMANCE" Velvet, such as Gentle Dream / Robert Allen. It's 200,000 double rubs, it looks like a million and the kids can't kill it.......and it is WASHABLE and well priced. As many colors as the rainbow can contain. has a slight strie in it, low luster. Nobody from kids to dogs has yet ruined it. I'm a realist, so yes, I have put it on luxury seating such as Baker!! Life happens. Ink is a deep navy.

    https://www.robertallendesign.com/gentle-dream-ink-175206 

    https://www.robertallendesign.com/books/fabric/performance-velvets.html

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Unfortunately, velvet is a very fragile fabric. Especially if it's directional like yours, it will show everything. We typically suggest this for very low use sofas or chairs, and caution those who want to put it on a high use piece of furniture.

    Scotch guard is probably the best option or consulting with an upholstery cleaner to see if they have a recommended protectant.