Software
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

What color for these doors?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm in indecision mode for the color of the closet doors in our dining room. (Please ignore the Christmas decor.) The trim will be white, including the window moulding between the closets. We hope to eventually put a window seat between the closets that will have upholstery of the color of chair below. My thoughts for the doors are:

1. White

2. Beige

3. Black

4. A bluish-greenish-grayish color

Here's a daytime shot:
Window seat cushion color will be the same fabric as the one on this chair cushion.
Any opinions?

Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago

    I would just do white to match the trim.

    laughablemoments thanked akl_vdb
  • 9 years ago

    Another vote for white to match the trim. Second choice would be black.

    laughablemoments thanked DJ
  • 9 years ago

    White

    laughablemoments thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    White to match trim. They're not something you want to feature.

    laughablemoments thanked Anglophilia
  • 9 years ago

    White. There is already a lot going on in this very pretty room.

    laughablemoments thanked sableincal
  • 9 years ago

    White here too, to blend them in.

    laughablemoments thanked ghostlyvision
  • 9 years ago

    Only color i would pick is white also. Same as the trim.

    laughablemoments thanked Kippy
  • 9 years ago

    I think solid black could look handsome esp given the symmetry of the doors. Like this:

    laughablemoments thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I think black would look great. It would pick up the black in your chandelier and your chairs, tying them all together.

    laughablemoments thanked malabacat
  • 9 years ago

    Black

    laughablemoments thanked cpartist
  • 9 years ago

    Another vote for black!

    laughablemoments thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • 9 years ago

    Black! I painted all of the doors in my last house black, and I never once regretted it. It made for a really great visual kickstand...because it's not a WOW color, it doesn't garner a ton of attention, but it really gives rooms a bit of oomph. I always likened it to to putting a collared shirt underneath a sweater for just a bit of extra sophistication.

    laughablemoments thanked Jaime
  • 9 years ago

    Jbald, I want to paint a set of interior doors in my home black, but I've been hemming and hawing about it. I think I need to just do it... I like your description of a visual kickstand rather that something that just stands out. What's the worse that can happen? I have to buy a gallon of primer and bring them back to white?

    laughablemoments thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks for your opinions, everybody! I'm a little hesitant about doing white because we're in and out of the left hand closet all day, since it holds the family's footwear. Something higher hiding might be more practical. I went through pinterest this morning and looked at door colors. I do like the black, such as these doors:


    But, I'm still pondering a taupe-beige kind of color that would pick up the checks around the windows, but it would not be such a strong contrast like the black:
    And on these panels with the birds is the greyed down blue green (Patina Farm), which very much inspired the overall palette of this room (yet ours looks much different with our black chairs.)

  • 9 years ago

    Now that you've posted it, I like the taupe/beige door above, too, to tie in the drapery. Time for poster board and samples, I think. Keep us posted, please--I adore your DR.

    laughablemoments thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Awww, thank you, Lisa! I'm having a head smacking moment: Samples. I should know to do up samples, but I didn't think of it. Doh!

  • 9 years ago

    Sorry, no help here...I don't think you can go wrong with any of your color choices. I do like the pop of the black though.

    laughablemoments thanked always1stepbehind
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Photo shopping anybody?

    laughablemoments thanked nosoccermom
  • 9 years ago

    ..taupe

    (but it's rarely that I'd say something else, where taupe is included in the choice))

    beautiful room. everything will work, yet. black-a bit too harsh, white-a bit too simple..taupe-right in the golden middle..a bit of definition, and seems so right for the room

    laughablemoments thanked aprilneverends
  • 9 years ago

    You seem to have taupe trim around the window that matches the drapes. I would repeat it on the door frames.

    laughablemoments thanked voila
  • 9 years ago

    The decision is difficult because they would all look great in your pretty room!

    So, I guess it comes to function...... white will show grubby hands- but magic erasers are great for that. Black will show dust- swiffer. Taupe will help disguise the grubby around door handles, so perhaps taupe?

    laughablemoments thanked Peppapoodle