Software
Houzz Logo Print
amderk

Final touches to master bedroom

9 years ago

We've painted, added window treatments etc and now I'm needing to find the perfect lamps and also need to take care of how to decorate above our bed.

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to decorate above our bed and yet be attractive. I do have the frames as shown in pic that I could use or not. I am also open to painting them. Any ideas would be wonderful.







Comments (56)

  • 9 years ago
    You could add 2 matching statement lamps on the bedside tables - Around 38" tall Home Goods (TJ Maxx) or overstock both have good prices. What about an abstract over the bed? Do you have a Hobby Lobby close by? Wait for the 50% off sale and you may be able to find some affordable art. If not, you can always buy a canvas (wait for 1/2 off sale) and paint one yourself. I would do one large piece over the bed as opposed to several smaller pieces.
  • 9 years ago
    I also agree with moving the taller chest out of the room and paint walls a lighter color. Light grey?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    New day, and I noticed a shine from the squares - do they shine a bit? What style and what inspired you about it?

  • 9 years ago

    sorry let me grab some pics and give some info here.

  • 9 years ago

    Here is a pic of my duvet cover.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Back to inspiration can we? how did you picture its style? quite modern, or a bit of the quilted vibe? What do you think of suggestions to alter your dressers?

  • 9 years ago

    When we started redoing our bedroom 1 year ago buying new dressers and changing all of the baseboards and door trim was just not an option.

    We have had this duvet cover for a while and have never found anything else that we like better to swap with.

    we have painted the wall, changed the light fixtures, added a new mirror.

    the duvet cover does not have any shine.


    Let me find so e before pics.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    To unify, best to know what you have, and from photos often hard to tell --- so I'll ask what the mirror frame is about? From mirror and curtains, I gather you like sheen.

  • 9 years ago

    You have enough wood - so this type? but doesn't have to look so modern.

    22" Tall metal Table Lamp with Nickel finish, Square design, White Fabric Shade · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Is this neutral a blend with duvet? Would repeat sheen in casual way.

    Hammered 1 Light Table Lamp in Chrome Plated · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Green paint and white, good?

    Dimond Lighting Mary-Kate and Ashley 27 Continuum White Table Lamp, Chrome · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Called "Asian-inspired" -

    Kenroy KR-21079-BS 4 Square Transitional Table Lamp · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Ok can we just ignore the rustic furniture? If I were to paint the furniture what colour should I do? My husband is scared that painting the furniture is ruining the beautiful wood thoughts?

  • 9 years ago

    I know the 2 dressers don't look great on the same wall, but one holds my husbands clothes and the other mine. Putting one in a closet would be a pain to get in every single day.

  • 9 years ago

    Here is a pic of the Mirror closeup. It is white with silver squares and shines.

  • 9 years ago

    I really don't know which look I was going for. Others were giving me options and I would say yes I like this no I don't like that. Makes sense? I need to work with what I have with some tweaks possibly.

  • 9 years ago

    I'd do ceiling pendants. Because they give you light on both sides of the bed and also show as wall decor on the wall.

    I like your wall color and curtains. I do think you have too much wood of the same kind. Would you consider chalk painting the dressers or moving one to the closet?

    Irving Burlap Shades · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    puremichigan60 (I wish there was a way to reply to specific people) Yes I'm tired of the would furniture. Hubby is scared to chalk paint the furniture like it would ruin it. Can you show me examples? We really don't want to move a dresser in a closet. Wouldn't that be inconvenient?

  • 9 years ago

    Depends on how accessible and big your closet is. I can google some chalk painted dressers.

    It's the easier way to paint furniture and Annie Sloane and other companies have good colors to choose from. I do think your bedroom won't change much unless some dressers are removed and/or the closet doors painted and/or the dressers painted.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm open to color our furniture. Which color would you do it?

    Also If the closet doors and baseboards stay the same won't that look silly?

  • 9 years ago

    Inside closet

  • 9 years ago

    No to the closet. :) Keep the trim and baseboard as is. At least for now. I would paint the closet doors for sure - that's a big space and the wood isn't working for this room. Do you have a paint name for your walls? I could suggest a color.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Seems I heard that Home Depot places have chalk paint now... but this is merely a mini-project amount. Could try 1 dresser first/ experiment on the drawer fronts....French linen or a light color, or Coco:

    https://www.anniesloan.com/annie-sloan-products/paints/chalk-paint/mini-project-pack.html

  • 9 years ago

    Krylon sells spray chalk, very matte if that's good for you.

  • 9 years ago

    Walls are painted this.

  • 9 years ago

    Are we suggesting painting closet doors and bedroom furniture first?

  • 9 years ago

    I would start with the closet doors. Let me look up this paint color and see what soft whites are complementary.

  • 9 years ago

    https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/CSP-670/silken-blue?color=CSP-670

    if you click on this link it takes you to Ben Moore's suggestions for other colors that compliment. Two of the lighter colors are "Stoneware" and "Sweet Cream". They're a little darker than I would want. You could have them made to 50% formula.

  • 9 years ago

    Check out Crisp Linen. It's lighter than the above colors. Less yellow.

    https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/CSP-305/crisp-linen?color=CSP-305

  • 9 years ago

    Yes I prefer the crisp linen. You do realize our door is also brown right?

  • 9 years ago

    Okay. So, the dilemma is where to stop or do you paint all of the wood.

  • 9 years ago

    btw, your walls are beautiful. I love this color.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I'd love to see inside of those reach-in closets. I bet if you maximized the storage space in there courtesy of some custom shelving, drawers and cabinets, you'd be able to eliminate those bulky dressers and free up some valuable floor space.


    Reach-In Closet Organizers · More Info


    Closet · More Info


    Reach-In Closet Organizers · More Info


    Reach-In Closet Organizers · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    That that was a big delama last time about painting the wood. Our while upstair has brown trim etc.

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago
    You can take the measurements of your closet to The Container Store and they will show you some options to maximize your closet space. I think their sale starts in January.
  • 9 years ago

    We don't have the container store in Manitoba. I think I would rather spend my money on other parts of the bedroom to start with.

  • 9 years ago

    Crisp Linen on the closet doors would be a great start. As far as the dressers go, do you have another wall that one could go on? To break up the strong look of wood in one place?

  • 9 years ago

    puremicichigan60 The only other wall that we have is the one below the wedding picture.

    Also I like the idea of painting our closet doors, but what would you do if the whole house has golden oak trim baseboards, doors and closet doors?

  • 9 years ago

    Because you also asked about painting just furniture and not the wood.... aren't many are doing that: buying painted furniture.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I'd paint the closet doors for starters. I don't think you can go wrong. In your bedroom those doors are distracting and not cohesive. I think you can do a lot better with cohesion and a more restful feeling in this room.

    I would definitely move one of the dressers to the other wall. You need to break up that mass of wood. And then, I don't think you need to paint those dressers. You also could paint your doors the same as the wall color, that could look really cohesive. I do like the wall color, your drapes look great - fullness and the black rod, so I think one more change and you may be satisfied.

    I would A. move one dresser, B. paint the closet doors. either the Ben Moore Linen or the wall color.

  • 9 years ago

    For now I would live in the space before reprinting the space. That's a lot of work. I would add some art work, lamps n take out one dresser . Also the suggestion of changing the closet is great. Many houses of the natural wood n I like it n many ppl like it. I wouldn't change it unless you don't like it. It's costly. Unless some day you will sell. It's livable for now. Change your bedding n drapes. Too matchy matchy to the paint add some contrast !!!! It'll be nice little work n little money big change. Add some little things on dresser.

  • 9 years ago

    everdebz very nice but the queen size comforter is sold out.

  • 9 years ago

    My husband and I were open to changing our duvet cover, but couldn't find anything that we liked. I live in Canada, so do you guys see anything in these links?

    http://www.qehomelinens.com/search.aspx?Search_Spec=duvet covers

    http://www.qehomelinens.com/designer-bedding-collections/Department.aspx?DeptID=1408

    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/search/?query=duvet+covers

    https://www.bouclair.com/en/CategoryFull/1708-duvet-cover-sets.aspx?searchauto=duvet co&offset=24

    I'll also need a throw blanket at the end of my bed as I'm always grabbing something to keep me warm

  • 9 years ago

    Since we started working on our masterbedroom 2 years ago, I liked a few changes we had done, but still don't love it. I'm liking the ideas and help I really need.

  • 9 years ago

    If I were to convince hubby to paint the closet doors, what would I do with the trim?

  • 9 years ago

    What kind of lamp base am I looking for?

  • 9 years ago

    As for our bedroom furniture set, it is over 13 years old and realize how masculine in looks. I do have a dresser that I could practice painting 1st with and see how it would look in the room?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would NOT paint any doors or trim. (Too Much). I am surprised at the small amount of clothing in the closet. Remove the shelving and long closet rod. Install wire double shelf and rod, up and down---move the tall chest INTO one of the closets. You are NOT utilizing the closet. Wedding photo needs a much bigger frame, the picture gets lost on the big wall. Take the curtains down, install 2" faux wood blinds in 'a white color'. Install wall sconces on either side over bedside table, where the electrical cord goes down the wall from the light to behind the bedside table, add a cover for it, get the ones that can be painted the same as the wall color...the wire/covering will blend in and disappear. Lamp shades-same white as the blinds. Bed skirt- 'white color', 2 shams on bed-white color. (buy cheap pillows to stuff inside the sham and just keep them in there). Between the closets put personal pictures in white frames-I would make all the frames the same in the room, add the cross, put in diamond shape-cross at top, side by side-the pics of each of you and the couple pic at the bottom. If the larger couple in the field picture is too big for the space, cut it down... you do have room in the picture. Put bed in the center of the wall if possible. Add 2 pictures behind the headboard with colors in the pictures that have same colors in the new throw pillows you find. Get big enough pictures so you can have 4" between the two, allow about 6" on the outside edge, hang about 6" from top of headboard. Not too high or too small of pictures. Replace bedding in a solid color, I think the room is too small for designs on the duvet. Lighter shade of throw pillows-(white always works too!) On the dresser (center this on the wall, I would add a table runner with colors that are in the pictures behind the bed and throw pillows. Colors in room: 1. existing wall color 2. the 'white' color 3. throw pillows-solid which is one of the colors that you pull out of pictures behind the bed and table runner. Make the pictures over the bed--NOT PERSONAL. Floral, landscape will give a sense of class. The room is small, staying with mostly solid colors will let the eyes rest while looking into the room. This room should be a private sanctuary. The whites used don't have to be exactly the same color whites...you can fool the eye to 'look' like they are. Have fun. Place perfumes on a mirror on the dresser, I have used small trays, small mirrors that were meant for a wall, take off hanging hooks or get a mirror at a craft store, add some greenery (can be fake), add a cute bowl for jewelry you take off and haven't put away . All this can be achieved from online stores... The white wire closet inserts can be tricky to install but read the directions. After all is installed and clothing is in, go back online and get accessories, belt/tie hangers, add shelving over tall chest to hold thick sweatshirts, use all the same hangers...this add a elegance and maturity to 'your style'. I wouldn't not even give the pine trim another thought. It goes with the rest of the house. The less 'stuff' hanging out in the room the more comfort you will have. You can do this whole room from a Home Depot... online they have bedding. If you spend at least $300 in one order, you can pay over 6 mths without interest.... I think. I would buy medium (not cheapy) priced wall sconces because those lights will last forever, get silver like your mirror over the dresser. Look for the electrical cord cover that sticks to the wall that can hid a yucky cord. They also come in gold and silver.... Have fun. Just do it. Life is short. Seriously... do something nice for you and your husband. This has really been fun. My first time doing this without actually seeing the room. I want to learn how to add pics of my suggestions.