Software
Houzz Logo Print
551612

Help me choose kitchen pendants

9 years ago
I dont know what will look good in this kitchen and not make it look crampier since its a bit tight between island and cabinets. i want to bring life into kitchen. My mom,.mother-in-law both said do something with color but i dont like funky. only color maybe blue but then i thought of copper as well. I need 2 by the way. island top size 28 x 59"

Comments (81)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi Rachel P...I know that Stanley pendant is crazy..it really is beautiful but believe me the price is outrageous.....I do love this pendant..used it in a home in MI..and it is really is beautiful in person thought you might like it...such a pretty soft shape would be so beautiful in your kitchen!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    ELK 14292, 3 Strasburg Pendant, Weathered Iron, Antique Gold · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    I wouldn't do pendants at all. Your recessed lighting should be more than adequate for a 28x59 inch island. I'd use color elsewhere in the space.
  • 9 years ago
    Just remember, you want something that will be easy to clean. Reaching up to clean the fixture is easier than having to climb up and over a pendent. The white cone with brass interior was just shown in a kitchen in a movie on tv. Looked very nice.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The one I posted above, the Elk is their larger one. It also comes in a 8" and it is $198. It combines the copper/gold look which is really hot right now and I think it would look great in your kitchen. Your table looks black as well, so this could be an option.

  • 9 years ago

    Your initial photo - I tried to see why I liked the copper, and as you said it might be the bit of greige/warmth in the floor, and island too maybe. The copper was 'star' and wondering if the glass upper fronts are clear or brown??

  • 9 years ago

    In 1 way like this kitchen, bit deeper neutrals -- or very modern in 2nd. Is yours more the 1st or the 2nd....

    Various Work · More Info

    Memorial Park Modern · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Both large and expensive - copper and white:

    "Boom Tree" Wall Decor · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    This bit of blue paint makes me wonder if a bit of opposite blue would make it better:

    yorkshire construction and maintenance · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Blue pendants may make the space look colder. We would go with copper ones. They look rich and would give your kitchen classy look and provide warmth at the same time.

  • 9 years ago

    I love your kitchen! I love all the white, grey, the stainless steel and the marble. So clean looking. My favorite color is blue but I would go with your instincts and stay away from color. You want to compliment your style not draw away from what you have done. I would vote for the brushed nickel. You have a very modern clean look here and I like the idea you can add temporary color with decorations and accents and easily change if you want.


  • 9 years ago
    @Home Interiors With Ease, the Cyan pendant, I think I saw that one before but it looks like it has a worn look are there black dots on it?
  • 9 years ago
    @everdebz love both kitchens mine would probably be like the first one but I love those round globe copper pendants. I think too large for my space
  • 9 years ago
    and my glass upper front cabinets are natural wood like color of all my interior cabinets I will need to get someone to paint the entire area there white. My kitchen designer/place where I ordered thought I was doing frosted glass. Either way he claims that the wood is easier to wash and more practical and I should take someone to paint just the top part. bec. exterior of my cabs are spray painted and chip easily.
  • 9 years ago
    Flo thanks for the idea I think the black might be too severe fo my space? I will post more photos of my kitchen. I couldve used another foot or 2 in the width and layout of the entire back of my house not the greatest but thats what happens when you have no architect or designer. I have learned my lesson the hard way!
  • 9 years ago
    and may I note the pics taken in evening and colors are totally diff in real life especially my walls and island. Flo my dinette set is a dark gray steel. i am looking for ideas on a new table and chairs I will start a new thread on that. around 6 ft table with 6 chairs
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Is that a two burner induction or electric cooktop? No hood? Seems like an odd spot for it.

    I would skip any heavy pendants and maybe skip them altogether in favor of a chandelier above table.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hi Rachael P....no it is a copper mercury glass finish...it comes in the long dome shape too!

    Found this design in copper very nice...

  • 9 years ago
    the Quorum pendant is 10" too large so its either stanley 7" or the cyan design
  • 9 years ago
    S Mistry would you say I go with something unassuming and light looking like glass? i do want pendants and a separate fixture over the table which will eventually be 6 ft long. my dinette area is 10 x 15
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here is one I found that I think would look great.

    Arianna Large Pendant · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It is 7" at widest point and long, so it would look great over your narrower island.

  • 9 years ago
    Flo thanks for the idea how high are those
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here Is one more..not cheap but not as bad as the Stanley copper pendants! This one is fabulous!!

  • 9 years ago
    I would go with Copper, something similar to the one that BC studio suggested. Your instinct is right mix it up a little. Your kitchen is beautiful.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    If you click on the picture and more info it will bring up details. I think it is 18" tall. Very nice size and shape for your spot.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The first copper choice looks very nice. We have built a kitchen with similar selections and size and chose the following:

    Greater Seattle Area | The Naples Avante Kitchen · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Feiss makes some nice ones with combined finishes. You can try brass

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The issue is the width of the fixture has to be near 7" max. Height is not a problem. So, the zinc, while I like it too, is just too wide for the island she has.

  • 9 years ago

    Love this

  • 9 years ago

    Flo the trend is larger pendants vs a line of dainty small pendants. 7" wide ones are blah

  • 9 years ago

    smm5525 That Schoolhouse Pendant is amazing, love the zinc and bronze brass mix, but too wide for my space. The kitchen area is not very open and a tight space so don't want anything very large because you can see it from my hallway. But I went to shadesoflight.com and rejuvenation (Thanks House Int. at Ease). What do you guys think of those? (btw I still have the BTC Stanley Hammered pendant on my mind just looking at other options)



  • 9 years ago


  • 9 years ago

    VILLAGE DUPLEX · More Info

    Is the BTC Stanley pendant worth the price?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think if you are going to splurge this is the place! After the investment of the total renovation this is the final jewelry piece that makes the outfit! I do love the Cyan..it really is beautiful when you see it in person..it adds a beautiful sparkle to the room..for the price it is the next best thing:))

  • 9 years ago
    I'd suggest Glass, etched or crackled, with a touch of silver metal.
    Rachel P. thanked mckeeedwyna
  • 9 years ago

    I truly value all of your advice and opinions, I would appreciate if someone can comment on the other lighting predicament I'm in? Thank you so so much for your help! Here is the thread that I started https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-light-would-look-good-in-this-long-narrow-hallway-dsvw-vd~4345132

  • 9 years ago

    The Celia by Cyan Design, the long dome I think I like that one better ( What do you think???), but Is the actual pendant very shiny? for some reason in the photo the copper looks for light colored... have you ever seen the hammered pendant up close? Also, do I need to get some copper accessories to put on my counter or shelves so the color is tied in well? I think any color looks better when there is more around of it in the room, makes it belong. Do they have to be in a shiny copper finish if the pendant has a shiny finish.

    Sorry for going on so long I just need this to be the right decision bec. I've made so many bad ones about this house.

    One other thing, right out of my kitchen, all my finishes are antique brass (doorknobs, and chandelier in dining room is brass and crystal) so is the copper okay if you stand at my island and you look out of the kitchen and I have a fixture with a brass finish in my hallway will it look okay? (Kitchen handles are polished chrome)



  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I is always good to sprinkle the accent colors in your space, so yes, some accessories on your counters (not a lot) but a couple would pull in the copper. I worry about the copper for many reasons, so of which you have just expressed. I have had copper and even with the new "sealing" finishes, they still are hard to maintain, so I personally would go for something that goes with the selections you have made. Black, stainless steel, chrome, silvers, Mercury glass things along that line. Then you can get flowers for seasonal colors and not be figuring out what goes with copper. Just not a fan. But it is a personal decision. It is kind of like art, so you should do what you feel you like the best, keeping scale in mind.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    No worries I love mixing finishes..I always encourage my client not to get (Stuck) matching every finish the same throughout their home....here is a up close image of the copper mercury glass Celia...

    it also comes in the satin copper finish

  • 9 years ago
    oh I just ordered the mercury finish didn't realize there were 2 which one would look better. Listen if I dont like it I will go with the expensive hammered ones I like that they have dark cord (ties with my brown island) I was going to order one to see how it looks at Anthropologie but after tax and shipping it was so much $$ just for 1.
  • 9 years ago
    the mercury looks a bit goldish should I cancel and reorder the satin copper?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Would you consider going with brass if you are worried about the copper?? Just thought I would throw a few more at you:))


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would say it doesn't have gold at all just a lighter copper color...not as intense as the solid satin copper much darker....you poor thing are you completely confused now?? Sorry

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Time for some shut eye ;/........I will check in tomorrow:)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    YOU WANNA To bring life into kitchen?

    CONSIDER SOME SPECIAL LIGHTING ,THEY WILL HELP A LOT!

  • 9 years ago
    I like the copper, don't like any clear that show the bulb.
  • 9 years ago

    Hi, You've all been such a great inspiration for my fixtures, can more people comment on the dilemma I have for my 5 year old daughter's room? Bec. if the mirror is no good I need to return it. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/decorating-little-girls-room-dsvw-vd~4333324

  • 9 years ago

    I think the Regina Andrew Glass and Wire and Mercury Glass pendants would both look great if you haven't already chosen one.

    Regina Andrew Glass and Wire Cage Pendant


    Regina Andrew Antique Mercury Glass Float Pendant