Software
Houzz Logo Print
amybeth

Before and After 100 Year Old House Renovation

13 years ago
This house was infested by termites and had huge holes in the roof. The only residence were some raccoons. We took the house back to the studs, added a master bath, half bath, guest bath and a walk in closet without adding any additional square footage. The attached photos are of the exterior and kitchen.

Comments (46)

  • 13 years ago
    wow. talk about ROI!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great job!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Well done!
  • 13 years ago
    Amazing!!!!!!! Congratulations !!
  • 13 years ago
    What an incredible transformation.
  • 13 years ago
    Great work..Love it..!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    lots of curb appeal injected !
  • 13 years ago
    What was the reason for eliminating the front double hung window? And for installing corners of the picket fence?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The window in the center was removed because there was no bed wall. The high windows have decorative leaded glass in keeping with the time period of the house. The picket fences are used as trellis for Lady Banks Roses and a backdrop for a cottage garden that has just been planted.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Very well done, love the outside, house looks great!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Lovely. I hope you will post more pictures!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What a wonderful home! I love all the little additions to the porch, windows... and all the character you preserved on the home. Beautiful! Love it!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love it, your new house is sooo cute !
  • 13 years ago
    This is a truly heart warming renovation!
  • 13 years ago
    I wish that you could show the old and new floor plans.
  • 13 years ago
    can you explain what you meant by no bed wall
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Good job! Very, very nice. Not sure about the 'jail cell' windows on right.
  • 13 years ago
    srad9898 I think by bed wall she meant there was no wall inside that space to put a bed because of the windows. Lovely Job. I like the picket fences
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    No bed wall means all of the walls in the room were either too small or had a window or a door so we took out the one window in the center and added the three high windows. When the Hightower Holly trees grow the blank wall will be less obvious. I guess those three windows are what IN.D.EX is referring to as jail windows.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you for the nice comments. And I will try tomorrow to post a before and after floor plan.
  • 13 years ago
    If you have a photo of the bedroom showing the little windows I would post that as well - show how it worked for the interior and as well as a close-up of the decorative glass - that might quiet the nay-sayers. If you can edit your copy above at the top - change "residence" to "residents." Great job. You can just make out the bed placed under the small windows, in the kitchen photo.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thank you for catching my typo. I'm okay with the "nay-sayers" because everyone's taste is their own. My only concern on a project is the happiness of my client, but I will see if I can find a before picture of that wall to clear up any confusion. I love this little house and would live there too if they'd let me.
  • 13 years ago
    I happen to love the high windows, and they don't seem out of character for the home. My parents have a 1917 Arts & Crafts home and we had high Eastern exposure windows flanking our fireplace. Several homes in our neighborhood also had high windows. Actually, thinking of it, I can't recall a single home in our neighborhood that DIDN'T have these windows.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is the before picture of that bedroom wall and a close up of the new decorative window
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is the original floor plan. There aren't too many details because the house was in the process of demo when the we began the project.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is the after floor plan. This isn't completely accurate to how it actually ended up because there were some changes in the field.
  • 13 years ago
    Absolutely amazing! Such an inspirational outcome.
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, this is really inspiring! gorgeous job. I love the window trim. Is it original? You have truly given us all hope that some of the houses we see out there, like this one, can have a happy, fresh new life. Is it allowed to ask what this renno cost?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The window trim is not original but was copied from old renderings from historic homes. I would share the cost if I knew it. The owner of this home renovated it for his inlaws. He has a crew that works for him that did all of the work at an hourly rate.
  • 13 years ago
    What an inspiration. We just bought a house that needs lots of work too...lots of potential. It's nice enough that we have renters and they are doing some of the work in lieu of rent!!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wow! Looks great!
    Hopkins Designs thanked Christopher James Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    Absolutely love, love, love the gorgeous details of this renovated home! Beautiful job!
    Hopkins Designs thanked laurae1967
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you very much!
  • 13 years ago
    They look like two different houses. You did a wonderful job. I wish people when being critical would offer a solution with their critiques or else not post negative remarks. The windows are fine and with landscaping will not standout as much in the future. Nothing is worst than a room with something happening on every wall whether it's too many windows or too many doorways it makes furniture placement difficult. Addressing this problem during constructions is just smart design. Good for you!
    Hopkins Designs thanked Sharon Garvey
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great Job! Looks Amazing!
    Hopkins Designs thanked Gabberts Design Studio
  • 13 years ago
    Lovely.
    Hopkins Designs thanked juliedotcom
  • 13 years ago
    From scary to super cute :)
    Hopkins Designs thanked Marie-Josée
  • 13 years ago
    Cute!!
    Hopkins Designs thanked Erin
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Although I am late to the festivities, I appreciate your hard work, and the return of the period elegance that was sorely missing, after many a bad period remodel. Nice work.
    Hopkins Designs thanked DMH DESIGN
  • 12 years ago
    It looks fabulous!
    Hopkins Designs thanked narrowhouse
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Stunning! Congratulations...
    Hopkins Designs thanked SPACIALISTS ( 3D Rendering and Architectural Viz D
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you for all of the kind comments.
  • 12 years ago
    Gorgeous!!! I absolutely love the details and the walk through closet that goes from the laundry room to the bedroom - genius!!
    Hopkins Designs thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    gorgeous work!
  • 11 years ago

    great job of bringing the old house charm back to life!