Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_771284

Kitchen countertops! Help me pick granite

13 years ago
This is my old kitchen. I had major water damage so all my cabinets are being replaced with white cabinets (St. Andrews in white icing by Medallion Cabinetry). Which granite would you pick for countertops?
Glacier White
Bianco Romano
Kashmir White

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So sorry about the water damage. I voted for one of the top two, but I won't tell you which because I loved them both.
  • 13 years ago
    The sad thing is I am selling this house after it is all done...it is going to look amazing...dark espresso 5" hand scraped plank wood floor....etc,etc,etc
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Sounds gorgeous; hope you're moving somewhere high and dry with equally awesome stone and flooring.
  • 13 years ago
    I actually live in Alaska...we moved from Southern Oregon to here 3 years ago but we never use that house so we are selling it...we have 100acres overlooking the Rogue River where my husband eventually wants to build our dream house...my house here is a bummer :(
  • 13 years ago
    I like the glacier white the best!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    100 acres of riverfront property sounds like the dream! Good luck with the "eventually" part -- time flies, so dream now! We joked about certain things being on the five, ten, or 20-year-plan when we moved into our reno. Seems like yesterday, and it's so hard to believe that while life is happening, we're heading for the fifteen year mark. Trends have come and gone, and I have no regrets with my classic choices.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Jennifer, I like the movement in the glacier white. Also, since it has a lot of grey, it will provide a nice contrast to your white cabinets. Now all you need is some cool hardware and you're done!
  • 13 years ago
    I have been a designer for years and have also just left the granite industry. Based on your cabinet selection and looking to sell this when done. I would go with the Glacier White, it is the most neutral and most people can work with it. Is it darker that White carrara marble but people love that look. You are on the correct road with your choices.
  • 13 years ago
    The Glacier White is nice, but I feel like the bottom one, Kashmir White would help tie in the cabinets as well as the paint color, it seems to have flakes of brown tones in it and that's why I think it's a better fit over all. :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Bianco Romano has those sultry lines- oh so sexy!
  • 13 years ago
    I have a different take on this. I have seen many granite countertops and have come to the realization that they look great as long as they are not used. Any scratch chip or ding is there and it is hard to get them out as the whole surface has to be delt with. Personally I like the Corian or other solid surface materials. They can be repolished at any time and they will look brand new. This cannot readily be done with stone.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have had trouble with Kashmir white staining.
  • 13 years ago
    What Dale Victor says may be true, but I would ask a few local agents what they think, because here in OK, buyers want a natural stone countertop in virtually every house.
  • 13 years ago
    Marna..I am replacing those cabinets with white ones (Medallion Cabinetry St. Andrews in white icing).
  • 13 years ago
    @Dale Victor. I had granite countertops years ago (not in this house yet, darn!) and it was impossible to scratch, ding or chip the granite. In fact I cut on it and I chopped on it and nothing happened to it. It just got more beautiful. I would assume that nothing has happened to the granite now coming out of our earth that would change this. @Jennifer D. I choose the Glacier White because it's intense and incredibly beautiful and well, because you're in Alaska where glaciers abound.
  • 13 years ago
    Thx Madeline! This house is in Oregon (our second home). I live in Alaska and I may have to use that line on my husband so I can get that countertop in my house here! xxo
  • 13 years ago
    I've never had issues with staining or chipping on any granite counter I've lived with...
  • 13 years ago
    In the real estate market in New York, granite counters are a big selling feature. With the white cabinets, I chose the Glacier White for the movement in the stone.
  • 13 years ago
    The main reason that granite counter tops will stain is that something has been spilled on them and left and not wiped up shortly after it has been spilled. Granite is porous and when it is suggested you seal it every 8-12 months it is to seal the air pockets. The liquids seeps in to the air pockets and cause the staining. Red wine and cooking oil are two of the worse. When you are using lighter colored granite. Water will leave a ring but it will dry out. If you get red wine or oil on the granite and leave it you will have a problem.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the input! My cabinets are getting installed as we speak!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the Glacier White because it has more pattern and movement.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Jennifer, Congrats on your remodel. Which granite did you choose ?
  • 13 years ago
    I chose the Bianco Romano because I just had it installed this week in my kitchen remodel. I love the colors in it, the white, gray, and a little bit of dark reds / maroon, very little. I also had white Shaker cabinets installed and am very happy with the results so far.....take a look....
  • 13 years ago
    I'm sorry about your problems that made you do a whole new redo when you plan to sell. Wish I could buy, as I live in a condo with a tiny kitchen. I'm also an Oregonian, so I think you'll be making the right move back here someday. (o:
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful! Are you doing a backsplash?
  • 13 years ago
    Looks gorgeous! Good choices!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Jennifer, Congrats! :)