picturebug

Carpet comparison question-Dreamweaver or Shaw

picturebug

I'm considering two different carpets for part of my basement and stairs leading down to the basement: One is Dreamweaver (Jamboree Woodbridge) a 60 oz solution dyed 100% nylon. Other is a Shaw product called Glen Avon Berber (although it's not really a berber) in Almond Roca color, 100% anson nylon Tuftex 58.5 oz. Is one better than the other? I'm not really finding any reviews especially on the Dreamweaver which comes at a better price. I'd pair it up with a Duraceramic in Village slate "stormy night" for the bath & bar and fitness room of the basement.

• Kay Begley

I am also interested in Dream Weaver Epic II. How is this product compare to the smart strand product from your point of view Cina Interiors? And also considering Lifeproof from Home Depot. A gentleman from there recommend this brand for family with pet and kids.

Cinar Interiors, Inc.

I don't deal with Mohawk or Smart Strand products. I'll sell Dream Weaver or Shaw products over Mohawk any day of the week.

Dream Weaver has their stain protection in the fibers of the yarns, no other manufacturer has this technology. All other manufacturers add the stain protection after the carpet has been manufactured. Spot cleaning and yearly professional cleanings will slowly pull out all other stain protections added by manufacturers, causing the carpet to be more prone to staining. --This will not happen with Dream Weaver carpets.

Home Depot is not the best place to get info on carpet. Their sales associates change every few months.

Q/A Concrete Session - Concrete floor, concrete countertop and concrete fireplace discussion

This is a very open-ended question. There is a wide range of types and quality of sealers, and the process and skill and attention to detail of the applicator also comes into play. Some fabricators may also not even seal it (although it should be for a kitchen countertop). It depends on how the fabricator sets expectations for the client regarding the sealer and concrete. It also matters if the expectations of the lifetime and maintenance of the sealer has been set for the client--and upkept. It also depends on the quality and finish of concrete used and the skill of the fabricator, just as much as the sealer and upkeep. Concrete is never as simple as black or white--- there are also many shades of grey.

Luxury Vinyl "Wood" Planks: What would you purchase??

Thanks Sandra! Lol I hadn’t even seen those comments. I get so many compliments on that floor. I absolutely love it. It’s in a beach house. I have hardwoods in my primary home and they are really hard to keep nice looking. They are scratched all over. My LVPs don’t show any scratches. And I love the continuity of the flooring throughout my house. So there. I have both and my LVP looks better. And if I want to change it out down the road....easy peasy, compared to sanding and staining. Been there and done that.

Dining room!

And, just to show you how the same color can look completely different in two rooms...the putty color paint on my fireplace brick is the exact same paint as the "tan" paint in the middle of the samples on my dining room wall. Out of the same can...bizarre, isn't it? (Pay no attention to the buffet that I'm in the middle of redoing)

COREtec Plus Flooring

Regarding the above video, those floors are not apples to apples. The COREtec product has a WPC and the other one a SPC. COREtec also sells LVP with a SPC in their PRO line. That would be more of an apple to apples comparison. I'm not saying that the non-COREtec floor is a bad floor, just that it is not a good comparison. SPC floors are known to be more durable regardless of the brand. WPC floors are purchased by those who want a floor that is softer and warmer underfoot with more sound dampening.
  • Kay Begley

Cinar Interiors, does Dream Weaver silk P2 worth paying extra compared to regular P2?

• Melissa Austin
    Cinar - I’m looking at Dreamweaver Cosmopolitan nylon for stairs, bedrooms, and common area between the bedrooms. Recommend?
  • Cindy
    Just had Dreamweaver Carpet installed. So disappointed!
    The carpet tracks terribly. My Beam central vacuum cleaner, with 3 level adjustable head, will not get through the carpet. Now I have to figure out what vacuum to purchase.
  • Melissa Austin

Cindy - just curious but which Dreamweaver did you select?

I am looking at DreamWeaver East Hampton 2550 with 8 lb pad for bedrooms, hall, steps, and family room. This is polyester fiber. I am beginning to rethink my decision based on the wear reviews I have been reading and BBB complaints. Has anyone had a good experience with this model of DreamWeaver?

• Lalitha

Hi HU-662111653,

What a coincidence you asked the question the same day as I am installing exactly East Hampton 2550 with 8lb pad. First of all, I am a little shocked with the way the dual tone turned out. I chose the color "sand" because it appeared to be the least dual tone. After installation yday, the carpet is looking smudgy and blotchy and white patchy. I am not sure if it takes time for the fibers to settle down in the right direction to reflect light. I was going to choose "sawgrass" color but thought it had more white fibers. I am really worried now. We installed a huge amount of carpet. Anyone has any experiences similar to this?

I can post some pictures later today

There is some miss information here that I feel should be corrected. Shaw vs Dreamweaver is a no-contest. Dreamweaver was originally created to market to multi-family housing projects, but the greedy carpet industry picked up on its low costs (due to production corner cutting) and adopted it into their main lines because profit margins were higher. Dreamweaver carpet is scoured fewer times during extrusion of the yarn and thus ships to your homes with lubricants still remaining on the fibers. Don't believe me?Just get yourself a glass of water and pluck a fiber off your sample and put it in there, within a few seconds you'll start to see an oily residue surrounding the fiber and at the very least you will notice that it sinks much faster in water than Shaw and other brands. What does that mean for your carpet? Well, oils attract dirt, and although they have claimed to have great warranties on soiling, I'd hesitate to make any promises to a homeowner when selling them this carpet. Dreamweaver fiber is often blown out to seam thicker at the expense of texture retention loss over time, leading to quicker matting of the carpet. As a carpet sales professional, I would never in a million years put Dreamweaver carpet in my own personal home, and so I would never sell it to my clients.

Thanks for the comments . NIxing the Dream Weaver. I don't know a whole lot about carpets. After some research I found nothing positive about the DW line except for the price. Any suggestions a on a fair priced nylon model carpet line for bedrooms hall steps and Fam. Rm. I will do 8 lb rebound padding.

Nylon is one of the most expensive carpet fibers to manufacturer so you just aren't going to get something quality without paying the associated price. In the world of carpet, almost always, you get what you pay for. Something around 45 oz or more, solution dyed if you can, unbranded (still made by shaw but or someone else but not branded with name-brand nylon names etc. will sometimes be less money) something that the dealer stocks will usually have a better price too. Skip moisture barrier on 8lb 1/2" rebond pad if its offered, hard plastics in rebond puncture holes in it relatively quickly. If you need the moisture membrane, go with a memory foam or densified urethane pad.

• Cindy
    We purchased Dreamweaver Breckenridge carpet in 387 Reserve. Hate it. It tracks terribly, to the extent that I can see where the cat has walked across it. Also had to purchase a new vacuum cleaner because our current central vac can’t go through it. Very expensive mistake with this purchase.
  • Sandra Drews

NEVER NEVER purchase Dream Weaver carpet . . . it packs and mats almost immediately and looks several years old within the first month after installation. When I contacted the store where I purchased the carpet (supposedly the best carpet retailer in our area), the salesperson chuckled and made the comment that you get what you pay for! Very costly mistake!

• Veronica Richards

Sandra, what type of Dream Weaver did you buy? I’ve had three retailers highly recommend Dream Weaver and say they get so much positive feedback about it. Do you remember what style and face weight you chose? Where did you have it installed? I have to make a decision this week on carpet and was leaning toward DW.

• Jeff Gibson

Cinar Interiors nailed it. I too sell both and push the Dreamweaver which is the new company Mr. Shaw started after selling Shaw Inc. to Mr. Buffet. Dreamweaver is durable, great looks, and great price points.

• rfaithnelson

This is a follow up on my similar question/post from about a year ago. I ended up choosing Shaw over Dreamweaver and am very happy with my decision. Cost was a major factor in my leaning towards Dreamweaver but I found a much more comparable price by purchasing through an on-line retailer which made the decision more about quality (we were redoing the whole house). After one year I am still extremely happy with my Shaw carpet. It looks great, feels wonderful to walk on & any "spills" come up easily with no staining. We have several cats & hair balls are an issue -- but with the Shaw carpet & Shaw cleaner it still looks like new. (I did purchase a darker multi-color for that reason.) My parents also purchased new carpet (good quality but not Shaw) & it is not near as nice to walk on as mine.

• bikerchic600

@rfaithnelson Which Shaw line did you pick?

• Melissa Austin

Yes I’d love to know as well. Also since you purchased online, how did you find an installer?

• rfaithnelson

Allie Schauner & Melissa Austin: I purchased Shaw Because We Can III and still love it. (I also later purchased the Shaw Carpet Spot Cleaner & we to date do not have any stains on our carpet even with our cats. We did, however, pick a darker (brown) color.) I researched prices (a year ago) & the best price I could find was from Carpet Express (on-line but good customer support from Tracy) at $21.89 sy + freight. I was able to find several local installers by recommendation from others & while it is a more stressful & time consuming to do it that way the cost savings for us was substantial vs. just ordering/installing from a local business. That was my first option but the quotes were about $1,000 more & that was just over our budget. Hope that helps. :)

• Melissa Austin

Thank you for all your info. Do you recall specifically which Shaw carpet you purchased?

• rfaithnelson

Because We Can III

• rfaithnelson

P.S. I recommend getting swatches of interested options for colors/texture. That really helped me decide between Shaw & Dreamweaver. Plus I don't think the carpet color in our house looks like the picture (I like it a lot better).

• Melissa Austin

Thanks! I didn’t realize that was the name! ;)

• gb1372
    last year

Has anyone purchased Dreamweaver Trendy II? 60oz. How is the durability? Does it look like new after a couple of years?

• 1561 Home

Selecting carpet has been very difficult as there are so many options offered and so many variables. I’ve gotten several quotes and two people offered Dream Weaver Malibu I and Rock Solid in 37 oz and 40 oz. Two offered American Home Vail but one said it was 40 oz. while the other company claimed it was 45 oz. I have no clue how to confirm face weight so I’m afraid I can be easily cheated and charged more for less.

I’ve also had someone offer Destiny and something called Monarch, which supposedly is from Turkey but there was no board with branding. I’m becoming very cynical and skeptical and wondering how the heck do I know what is good carpet and what was found in a back alley, will I receive what I am quoted?

I’ve also heard of Shaw and Karastan but no one brings those samples and maybe that’s ok because from the little that I know, those are expensive.

Some numbers are:

• DW Malibu II, I think 37 or 40 oz, $17/sy
    • American Home Vail, supposedly 45 oz, $12.50/sy
    • Destiny, 67oz, $17/sy

Install prices range from $4/sy to $9/sy

8# moisture barrier pad from $110/roll to $140/roll (30 sy)
    One person offered an 8# moisture barrier pad for $1/sy

Needless to say with so many options, so much conflicting info about one brand and line to the next, this has been a very poor experience. I’ve been at this or almost a week and was targeting an install in the next 1-1.5 weeks. Nowhere close to deciding what to buy.

• akadams451@gmail.com

Does anyone know the best vacuum for a DreamWeaver carpet? We recently got the reflections II carpet but our current vacuum cannot withstand the high pile. It is 1/2 inch.

• Ericka Grabovsky

Any commenters....how does your DreamWeaver carpet look .....this Monday we are planning on buying the DW-ModernEdge

• gb1372

We use a RICCAR - Sandtrap vacuum. Carpet is holding up very well except at the foot of my chair where is stays matted down.

• Debbie Johnson_Porter

Eeek, we are in the process of purchasing Dream Weaver Pinpoint. The highly recommended and reviewed design firm thought this would be a great carpet for us. They raved about it. Now I am scared!!

• gb1372

Pinpoint will be fine. We bought the 60lb weight. Ours is in a high traffic area. It’s nice and cushy. The pad is very important- we bought the 8 lb pad

• Bill Morrow

About to buy dreamweaver mesa carpet. Multiple dealers gave it high reviews and ratings.

I paid $25.00 per yd for our Dream Weaver Nylon carpet Less then 3 years ago. One year after installation it needed stretching. It’s matted down around couch area and won’t come back up after vacuuming several times a week. My wife and I are 82 and 77 and have not had anyone in our home for over a year due to COVID. The whole house needs to be stretched again. And when we vacuum it’s always filled with what looks like animal hair which I assume is the carpet . Inspector came out and claim was denied. But I expected that due to the complaints that I have read.

• functionthenlook

My nylon dreamweaver carpet is 5-6 years old. I have had no problem with it. Spots clean up easily with just warm water.

Dream Weaver carpet is manufactured by Engineered Floors and owned by Shaw Flooring. Dream Weaver is one of the newest large-scale brands in the U.S carpet industry. But the company's founder was no stranger to the industry. Bob Shaw and his family had already built one highly successful carpet brand, Shaw Flooring.

I bought the Dream Weaver Jamboree Gala on 7/2018 and it started breaking down in traffic area. 11/19 had to get stretched . 2020 needed to be stretch again but due to COVID-19 could not let anyone in home because my husband (82) is on oxygen. 3/2021 filed claim someone came and looked at carpet and claim denied. 4/2021 had carpet stretched again (half garden trash bag of carpet). Next day had professional cleaner clean carpet. He told us the carpet is breaking down and we’ll eventually have to be stretched again and the matting down is not normal for carpet this old. Not even 3 years old and started matting not long after we bought. Areas that are not walked on are plush and walking or Sitting areas are crushed. Extremely disappointed in this carpet. Paid $25.00 a yard just for the carpet. I have read on other sites complaints about Dream Weaver and not holding up to their warranties so I didn’t expect it to be any different for me. I was advised to get an attorney.

Dreamweaver Exceptional II installed Feb 2020. Shedding never stops. Marking is so bad even the lightest furnitures will show the marks. Looks so old now. Forget about the warranty , calling the office or calling the rep. They will not answer. Expensive mistake. I would join a class action lawsuit.

• Ericka Grabovsky

I was impulsive when I said we were purchasing DW carpet and prioritized a smaller tile flooring project with a great product. Thank you all for confirming my instincts not to purchase DW brand

• Michele Smith

I searched for feedback on Dream Weaver - Pinpoint carpet and found this discussion. Reading some of the comments makes me very hesitant to purchase it for our basement and stairs. Anyone have this carpet installed and been happy with the product? Has anyone else had major recent issues with this carpet? The stairs and basement are used frequently by our family and I am concerned now that it could look worn and matted quickly. Appreciate any additional feedback.

• Tina Nesvacil

Hi! Has anyone purchased the Dream Weaver Brazen II line? I saw tons of good reviews about Dreamweaver, but now all these bad! But I don’t see anything on the Brazen II....

Runaway..... you have been warned! Bad carpet! customer service is zero to none. Don't believe the warranty, it is all b.s.

• mamdawg

Great info here-thank you everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions for carpet for stairs? It is our main staircase with high traffic and pets. Thanks!

• kculbers

I also did a lot of research on carpet. I chose Shaw carpet” FIND YOUR COMFORT NS II”. 100% Anso Nylon, 55.6 oz/yd,.45” finished pile thickness,tufts: 9.8 per in, R2X built~in stain and soil protection with Softbac Platinum Backing. I am also getting 7/16 inch 8 pound Scotplus padding. I am having it installed in my living room, upstairs hall and 3 bedrooms. I chose the color Falling Leaves. It will be installed in a couple of weeks. Best of luck in your carpet journey ❣️

• kculbers

I also purchased a new vacuum cleaner: Shark Apex DuoClean Powered Lift-Away with a self-cleaning brush roll upright Vacuum it had great reviews too❣️I love it❣️

• Kendell

Any comments on Dreamweaver Malibu II?

• mariehade68

Hello I too am looking to install Dreamweaver pinpoint in skyway for my entire basement with a bedroom and would let to know if anyone has that particular carpet in that color and how they like it?

• ashleyb345

@kculbers love this color you picked. Will be interested to see pics and hear your opinion!

• kculbers

Ashleyb345. I had my Shaw carpet installed: color: Falling Leaves. I love it❣️It is great quality. I also love my newly purchased Sharp Apex Vacuum❣️

• Michele Klein

Oh goodness, my carper retailer (owner) recommended Dreamweaver. He said they stand behind their product but he is having issues with Shaw. I have narrowed it down to the Malibu 111 -60oz weight for our master bedroom, We have one kitty. I know there will be vacuum marks because he said you cant get away from it with plush carpeting. I am worried about matting. These comments are worrisome...I have a Miele vacuum and my "Rita" the robot. Any other comments anyone would like to share?

• gb1372

We had Dreamweaver Trendsetter installed March, 2020. It has already matted down and looks like it’s worn out. We filed a claim with the company through the store we purchased from. Our claim was approved and they are replacing the carpet throughout the house. The manager gave us a choice between Malibu and MONTAUK. He said Mlntauk

• gb1372

Has a tighter weave and will wear better. Hope this helps

• Michele Klein

UGb1372 thank you so very much! Trendsetter was our other condender so this is so helpful. I spent a lot of time looking at reviews today and from carpet detailers it was unanimously great. Buyer beware.. .