little_washer

5 Star Range Review

Mike Wash
Just completed a kitchen and bath renovation in September and came to this site frequently to help us decide what range we should purchase based on user reviews and discussions. I spent nearly 6 weeks researching various prosumer/commercial styled range manufacturers including Bertazzoni, DCS, Thermadore, etc. We were looking for something without electronics, no brain, no touch pad, just gas and knobs in a 36 inch range configuration. Didnt realize that for 36 inch ranges in this style, we'd be shelling out some real cash for what we wanted, but we wanted something that would last for years without some type of electronic failure that could render a $5-6K appliance useless.

The lengthy and spirited discussion on the boards was an eye opener to say the least. We were leaning towards a Berta originally because they looked really great at the Fergason showroom, but after one particular thread we decided based on some of the anecdotal information about performance and customer service, we ran away as quickly as possible from the Berta. I went to every retailer in the immediate Central Texas area to touch and feel the quality of the ranges and was impressed with Thermadore and DCS, but again, the customer service seemed to be hit or miss with satisfaction. I then tried to find information on 5 Star Ranges, but could find only a handful of reviews on the manufacturer, and zero here on the Houzz site. I continued my search, and only one distributer in our area could even order the range we were interested in, and they were an hour outside of town. I drove the the distributer, should have called first since they dont have a showroom at all, and I couldn't actually get my hands on one to get a feel for quality because they didnt have any on site.

So after some discussion, we decided to take a gamble and order the 5 Star 36-inch range in stainless steel with white oven sight unseen. We were very hesitant to do so for such a big ticket item, but we were persuaded by the fact they are made in America, in Tennessee, and I spoke directly to customer service prior to our purchase to get a feel of them and how helpful they could be in the future if we ran into any issues. The lady on the other end had a thick souther accent, so I knew it was a gamble we could take. Not because of the accent, but because they answered the phone and actually work at the manufacturing facility.

It was a special order since the ss/white combo wasnt usually kept in stock, so they had to build our range specifically for us. It was delivered on time, and fit into the cut out like a glove.

After 3 months of heavy use including Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners - we cook every night on the range as well, we have been extremely pleased our has gamble paid off. It is solid, no frills - not even a temperature gauge or timer. We bought a commercial oven thermometer and timer from the local restaurant supply store. Nothing to go on the fritz. We did have to upgrade our gas line to be able to feed the beast, and boy does it pump out some flame. The cast iron continuous grates are heavy and solid, and the sealed burners give an even flame. The high gas setting boils water quickly and the simmer does well, but since the burners are all the same 21,000 BTU rating, we do have to cut off the heat from time to time even though they say it can do 350 BTU on low. I spoke again to customer service and they walked me through how to adjust the gas settings internally. I havent done that quite yet, but am planning on doing so.

So, apologies for the lengthy review, but really hope it can help someone out who might be in the same predicament as we were a few months ago, and hope this little bit of practical information is helpful in deciding which range to purchase, since obviously, such an expensive purchase needs to last a long time, and do the work it requires.

We are very happy with our purchase.

• amandahindson
    Hi all - I’ve ordered a 48” open burner fivestar. I’ll report back once I’ve used it!
  • Mike Wash

Good luck! 48" is a monster!

Reviews on new Jenn-Air 30" DualFuel Range JDS1450DS

I just bought and installed this model (the older JDS). It requires 220V power, so had to have an electrician run a new circuit for it in my 110V house. (Not a big deal since I needed electrical work anyway.) After one night we have two issues: 1) the oven won't turn off after baking, even after hitting the "cancel" button. Trying to get it worked out with Jenn-Air. I googled and saw at least a couple others have had the same issue but it doesn't seem too common. 2) the top of the door is vented and becomes very hot. This includes the area protruding in front of the control panel/knobs, so it's easy to bump into and dangerous for my toddler to be around. I expect the knobs won't get too hot, being on top, but I havent tested a full-on bake experience yet. The first issue I expect can be fixed without too much trouble, but #2 is likely a huge design flaw! (that apparently is common to other ovens, too). :( Besides these two things, this is a really nice range. Feels very commercial-level, looks great, the range and gas work well. I'll report back if/when I get some more info and experience with it.

48" Ranges - Capital, NXR and American Range

Patricia, Most of our clients opt for a 44" (equivalent to a North American 48") or larger stove. While I agree that most don't "need" that much cooking power on a regular basis, they certainly appreciate the flexibility of having 2 ovens, including a smaller one to use everyday (faster heating time, less energy wasted). Having one large oven only is not always convenient either. A larger range also gives you more flexibility on how you use your burners. It would be a very boring world if we all had the same needs, desires and priorities, no? :) Back on topic for Melissa, I think you'll find that every brand has great and not-so-great reviews. I can only say that one of our clients is an enthusiast cook and was almost set on a Capital before deciding on Lacanche. I have seen NXR in person but never used one. Regardless of the brand you choose, make sure that you can find a service technician in your area. All 3 brands you are considering look "basic" (in a good way, no touchscreen, keypad, iPad connectivity, etc) and should be fairly straight-forward to work on if anything happens.

reviews for a miele 48 inch range

I love the stove. I did have trouble with one of the gas burners and called for service.. They were out and replaced all the burners at no charge.. They had a upgrade with their newer stoves. I was talking with the service guy who works on all the high end appliances and said with this stove I have no worries and he rarely has service calls. Usage.... Love how everything is together.. I'm not taking up space in my kitchen. I use the warming drawer a lot and having two ovens I love!! Microwave is wonderful. It actually cooks differently than a standard microwave .. I can tell with the taste and the look of the food. I have not yet really used all the features it offers but they have cooking classes you can attend and will show you how to use them.. I went to one.. It was great!! I would like to go again... Tooooo busy.. I can not compare with the other large ranges for this is my first and very happy with my choice

Searching for reviews on 48 inch ranges: Bluestar vs. Bertazzoni etc.

IMO a 48” range is too much for a home the exhaust system has to be huge and they are NOISY I have a small catering biz and I have a 36” Bertazzoni all gas that I love but I also have double electric wall ovens because there are some things i like baked in a gas oven and others not so much. I have had this for 10 yrs and really never find a time when I need more than 6 burners I ahve a simple griddle that fits over 2 burners instead of the fancy one from Bertazzoni for doing grilled things this is a picture of the hood and stove in my kitchen
  • R. Boquist
    Mike, thank you!
  • Robin Butterfield
    last year

I appreciate all the input on this thread. We are completing our new home construction and like Mike Wash, I was looking for a no bells / whistles range...finding his review has been a blessing. Will very likely be ordering the 48" dual fuel very soon but the backsplash has me confused. I'd like it to be as small as possible, we have same material from counter top going in behind the range. Was told when I called that 4" was minimum, but I see smaller. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks again to everyone...very informative!

• tedbixby
    last year
    last modified: last year

Robin- If you look through Advise there are dilemma's posted regarding the back splash behind the range. I did a quick look to try and find the ones that posted photos of how their backsplash has been damaged from the heat (especially quartz but couldn't track them down at the moment). It is also a code thing and I did find this posting which may help address your issue. If not, then you may want to create your own thread where you might get your question answered. Good luck. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tile-backsplash-wont-meet-building-code-dsvw-vd~3992018

• Mike Wash
    last year

Robin, not sure the height for the standard backsplash that ships on the 48", but there is a shorter 4" that I paid extra for in the accessories part of the 5 star website. We have glass tile backsplash and its been fine for 2 years, no issues but might want to look into what Ted mentions above with what ever material your countertops are made of and heat resistance.

• Mike Wash
    last year

And keep in mind, that backsplash also serves as the vent for the oven, so its not just burner heat it will be putting off. Just a heads up.

• Robin Butterfield
    last year
    last modified: last year

Can you explain that please? Vent as in airspace from back wall? As I understand it, it doesn't pull heat via mechanical means, correct? I did follow the link of Ted Bixby... WOW!! I will now be making changes to backsplash area. I sure dont totally understand all this, but I get the big picture. Now I ?? side cabinets (base units) next to sides of range??

• Mike Wash
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have no idea about the code in your particular area, youd want to have a conversation with your contractor. Tile not being up to code makes zero sense. Its fired ceramic. Resistant to heat. I mean they use tile on the space shuttle, so dont know about that problem. Wasnt with our house. Depends on your city code I suspect.

Does your stove have the convection feature? If so, I cant speak to that directly as mine does not have the electric fan inside the oven. On my range the front bottom is totally open. Meaning there is a large gap by design, below the broiler door. That is part of how the oven works, so it draws air in by your feet, and vents out naturally from that backsplash. provided you arent speaking about the backsplash that goes all the way up to to overhead hood vent.

If you have any questions beyond what this thread can help with, Id call Five Star directly and ask.

• tedbixby
    last year
    last modified: last year

Robin- I'm still looking for a specific thread but in the mean time came across this one regarding the back splash. It also has a link to another thread that may be helpful. Though it focus' on Thermadore it seems to be a common issue with any brand of gas range and you may glean some info from it.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5594989/thermadore-stove-oven-burning-back-splash#n=17

• Robin Butterfield
    last year

You have been beyond helpful Ted and I sincerely appreciate very "eye opening" information. I realize pictures aren't required to be at spec...but it can sure confuse things. I will make changes based on what I have learned this day (you, Mike Wash and many others)...Considering the potential, needless loss that can be avoided by changing a style choice....no brainer!! Priceless information!

• Mike Wash
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ok, I think using the term backsplash may be confusing, when I speak of backsplash I am referring actually to the backguard part of the range.

• Robin Butterfield
    last year
    last modified: last year

Myself as well! Your set up with the tile and 4" backsplash/back guard is gorgeous! I will arrange for the taller based on all the discussion AND the following:

• We are a strawbale structure with a bale wall about 6 feet adjacent to but adjoining the range.

• Range wall is south facing in a very hot part of CA....temps can often range into low 100-110 throughout our summer months. So..

I do appreciate all the input!

• Mike Wash
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ah great, glad this thread can be of help to everyone. I took a close up photo, but it wont load. Possibly too large, but will give it another go. Good luck!

Oh, and not familiar with strawbale but it sounds flammable. So take all precautions!

• Robin Butterfield
    last year
    last modified: last year

It's a pretty interesting building material. Super dense and tightly stacked bales (Lego wall ), so actually not real flammable at all due to lack of oxygen. Also an incredible insulator, hopefully mitigating AC use.

• Linda
    last year

Love our Five star cooktop! We use diffusers when we want to simmer. But I use them all the time with smaller pans. The griddle is fabulous too!

• Robin Butterfield
    last year

And another beautiful tile application with a 4" backsplash...I so love this look!

last year

Can Anyone comment on the Open Burners (veri flame) ?

Most of the stuff on five star seems to be info with the sealed burners.

The open burner design does not appear to be as good as the Blue Star series and the drip tray or lack there of may be a deal breaker. Would love to hear from someone with first hand experience with the 5 star open burner units.

• Mike Wash
    last year

Yeah, cant comment personally on the open burners as our are sealed.

• Rick VB
    last year

Can anyone post a closer/larger photo of the griddle and the drip pan? I'd like to see why Jennifer above thinks it's a pain.

Also, are the burner ignitors simple manual ones, or are they heat sensor-based (relight the burner if it is blown out)?

• Mike Wash
    last year

The ignitors are electronic, if the flame drops too low they click to spark automatically.

I dont have a griddle with mine, but I am assuming she means its a pain to clean out heavy grease from, which is why she suggests not cooking bacon on the griddle.

• Jenn Nix
    last year
    last modified: last year

We ordered our Five Star 48" with 6 burners and griddle 19 years ago online because we couldn't find a distributer here in New Mexico. It has been used every single day, multiple times a day. The griddle gets used every weekend for pancakes. It is hands-down the best stove I've ever owned. The only problem we've ever encountered was that over time, the knobs would crack and break. Easy fix to replace them. It's easy to keep clean and utterly reliable. I will buy another one if we ever move without a second thought.

• pc6103
    last year
    last modified: last year

Great thread; thanks for all the interesting posts. I‘m also looking at a Five Star 48” range; dual fuel with open burners. My wife is avid cook and baker so the combination of precise burner control and even baking is very appealing to her.

We just ordered the Proline Hurricane PLJL.INS.4618 hood insert so we are committed to the 48”! :)

None of the higher end ranges have great reliability so the available long term part support is also appealing to me.

Regarding the burner ignitor problems, we have had the same chronic issues with our 20yo Kitchen Aid range with closed burners. I’ve a strong suspicion the closed burner are more susceptible to this. Has anyone any experience with the the open burners? Worst case, I’d just disconnect the igniters and use our trusty grill lighter!!

Thanks in advance!!

PC

Proline Range Hoods
    last year
    last modified: last year

There is some great info in this thread! And thanks for your purchase, pc6103!

You shouldn't need to, but if you have any issues, please give us a call 877.901.5530.

You're in good company. Here are nearly 1500 individual reviews from Google if you feel inclined to check them out: https://www.prolinerangehoods.com/google-reviews

• Donatile Quartararo Ruscito

I did extensive research on commercial style stoves for my new home. Some prices were so far out there that the number didn’t fit the page. But I ran across the Five Star duel fuel, double oven with six burners, grill and griddle and decided on a customized front of black and brass accents. It took 5 months to get to us. We moved into our home Oct. 2015 and since then I have had the repairman here 6 times. I am about to call them again for the 7th. Finding a repair shop is a nightmare for this unit. And when I do get one it is months before the parts needed for the repair arrive. Yes, the price was great...but you get what you pay for. It still cost us thousands of dollars for this unit but I should have bought the Viking instead. Do not buy a Five Star anything! They don’t stand behind their product.

• pc6103

What a headache this must be! What type of failures are you experiencing?

• Donatile Quartararo Ruscito

I wrote 2 months ago and you are finally getting back...just like the service I get from Five Star! The self cleaning oven, for the 7th time isn't working. Now I am told there aren't any authorized repair shops in or near my area. I have had to go in and try to clean it by hand as best as I could. I am 70 yrs old and getting down on my knees to clean this thing is exhausting and painful. Each time it WAS repaired it was different parts...a door hinge, the thermostat, the knob...it works a short time, then it stops. I am not hard on my appliances especially at the price of them. And so it sits...getting dirtier each time I use it because the spattered grease and spillovers are becoming part of the oven.

• Amy Crenshaw

Put a 60" FiveStar in the house we built 23 years ago. Only ever had to have service out one time to repair an ignitor. I had solid doors (no windows on oven) and I cleaned up spills or splatters in the oven after use. Only ever had to do oven cleaning twice, therefore. And one of those times was when we put that house on the market. And I cooked on/in it everyday for our very large family (9 kids). We are in the process of building and downsizing. I will be purchasing another FiveStar either 48 or 60". Wouldn't have it any other way!!

• Robin Butterfield

What an awesome testimony for Five Star!! Happy to read it as we are just about to install our recently received 48" Five Star in our "long time coming" forever home!! Very excited!!

• Evan rice

Has anyone ever used this brand with a down draft? If so, how did you do it and what was the result? Our current cooktop is in the island with a down draft and looking to move the oven under the cook top.

• Stephanie Lugo

The cast Iron grate broke in a move and can't find replacement parts for my 30 inch

• Amy Crenshaw

Try the manufacturer-Brown Stoveworks in east Tn. There grates are made at Lodge Cast iron, I think.

Have a 5 Star Range 36” and have an oven problem for years. You set the oven to the desired temperature but 30 to 45 minutes later 3 oven thermometers never reach that temperature. It is about 50 degrees off. Some years back the thermostat was replaced. Three different repair men tell me their oven thermostat instrument reads right on target. Then, they say the three I have placed in different locations in the oven are faulty. They say there is no problem. The food does not cook at the recommended set temperature. The Thanksgiving turkey roasted at 400 degrees rather than 350 degrees. Five Star does not know the answer. There is no Five Star service person anywhere near me. Some years back the one person in town that was knowledgeable on Five Star ranges refused to work on my stove. He said he worked on one ladies stove, had a horrible time working with Five Star service department, and she gave him a bad recommendation on a public site. He no longer touches a FI’ve Star.

• lhearne

Great thread! So I purchased a house a few years ago that came with a 1995 Five Star 48”. It had a few burner issues discovered in the home inspection. I repaired those right away. Well, years later, the remodel is still ongoing (I know...painful!), and sadly the Five Star has taken some abuse. It was removed from the kitchen and remained on a furniture dolly covered with plastic; however, over the years, drywall guys have moved it and allowed dust to get all over the cooktop. I know, I should have been more careful and insisted on better care. Im sure i could clean it and use air compressor maybe to blow dust out. But the remodel has been more extensive that originally thought and I am considering buying a new Five Star just because the old one would look a bit out of place in the “new kitchen”. Is this a bad idea? Is the old 1995 one a better stove/range than a new one? I do like the idea that even the new ones don’t have fancy electronics etc., so perhaps even the new ones are great quality with few issues.

• lhearne

....and I’ve never cooked with gas oven. I think I would like a duel fuel, although I’m willing to learn to use the gas oven. :-).

• Mike Wash

How different would a new 48 inch be from your old one in storage? I cant image the design has changed much, but their website is a bit antique so I couldnt say for sure. As long as the new 5 Star and the old one are the same dimensions, why not try out the old one first. As along as its working theres no need to replace. If it turns out its not working for you, get the new one, you will have to have it installed either way, now or later.

Also, my repair guy said he cant get any parts right now from 5 Star due to covid in the plant. So, not sure if that also applies to new appliances and shipping but assume it would affect the whole sales/shipping dept.

And while im at it, we have the same ignitor that has gone bad after being replaced 2 years ago. It is on the burner we use most often. Like 90% of the time is one of the six we use. So word of advice, switch up which burners you use...

My repair guy said the warranty for the ignition modules is 90 days. He also said most companies is only 30 days. Just a little insight from a practical user.

• tedbixby

ihearne- you may want to call Bluestar and ask them what changes have taken place with what you have and what is current. I did this a few years back on a Sub Zero that though I wasn't having issues with, thought that maybe because it was getting "old" it was time to replace. SZ told me that wait until I started having issues as they felt based on the age that I would get about another 5 yrs of usage. It was nearing it's 20th yr. The main difference between the 2 was the newer models were more energy efficient but they told me that what I could save in energy cost didn't justify getting rid of a SZ that wasn't giving me any grief. I moved before it acted up so I have no idea of what the rest of the story was.

• Mike Wash

@tedbixby @lhearne Heads up, Blue Star and 5 Star are different companies. Thats actually the reason I started this thread. Because I got confused seeing reviews about both and the name being used interchangeably, so just making sure..

• tedbixby

Whoops. My bad. Make that call to 5 Star.

• Mimi Beardsley

I have the 48 inch from 1995. I called 5 Star and had new cast iron grates shipped. It really updated the cooktop. Looks like new! Love they are made in the USA and you can still get replacement parts!!!!

• lhearne

Thanks for all of the advice. I’m going to call

Five Star as well just to get their input. I need to make sure the newer model would fix exactly as the old one does. I don’t want to modify any cabinets a year from now if I’m using the old five star and it becomes apparent I need a new range. I also don’t want to modify where the exhaust pipe is etc.

• lhearne

Any advice on cooking/baking with the 1995 gas ovens?!! I really would like a duel fuel.

• lhearne

Well turns out I have a 600CFM blower with the old 1995 48” range. Really should be more like 900 and with the new 48” range (based on total BTUs), they recommend a 1200cfm. Problem is I have a 7” duct to the outside wall. This is only about an 18” path from the hood to the outside air! So if I use a new 48” range, should I upgrade the hood/blower? I believe I read somewhere on houuz or possiblu other articles where some feel you don’t need the full 1200cfm because you aren’t typically using all burners at once. Advice please! Thx

• lhearne

Oh and the 1200cfm blower will require a 10” duct and I’ll need to cut my brick exterior to accommodate an extra 3” in duct.

• pc6103

And it would require a makeup air system

• lhearne

Pc6103 ive never heard of a makeup air system so I googled it. My kitchen is about 500 square ft so I’m not certain I need one but I will look further into it. Thx.

• pc6103

2015 IRC M1503.4 Kitchen Makeup Air

M1503.4Makeup air required.

Exhaust hood systems capable of exhausting more than 400 cubic feet per minute (0.19 m3/s) shall be provided with makeup air at a rate approximately equal to the exhaust air rate in excess of 400 cubic feet per minute (0.19 m3/s). Such makeup air systems shall be equipped with a means of closure and shall be automatically controlled to start and operate simultaneously with the exhaust system.

Exception: Intentional openings for makeup air are not required for kitchen exhaust systems capable of exhausting not greater than 600 cubic feet per minute (0.28 m3/s) provided that one of the following conditions is met:

1. Where the floor area within the air barrier of a dwelling unit is at least 1500 square feet (139.35 m2), and where natural draft or mechanical draft space-heating or water-heating appliances are not located within the air barrier.
    2. Where the floor area within the air barrier of a dwelling unit is at least 3000 square feet (278.71 m2), and where natural draft space-heating or water-heating appliances are not located within the air barrier.
  • riettas

Great thread and looks like it's still active so I'll post here, both my comments and questions. We have a 48" FiveStar all gas range, specific model is FiveStar TTN5107BW. I don't know exactly how old it is - we moved in 4 years ago and it was here. They did a big kitchen remodel about 3 years before that and put in the stove, probably new at that time but not sure.

First the questions, both having to do with the gas oven:

1. Is there anything I can do to make the ovens distribute the heat more evenly? This isn't a question of temperature in general (my husband did replace the temperature controllers and we have calibrated the ovens), it's the issue that EVERYTHING on a pan gets burned on the bottom. It seems that the heat coming from the gas flames just below the oven floor are not evenly distributed around the box. I have to cook things on the very top rack (regardless of what the recipe says) and if I use two racks at the same time, have to remember to swap the items on the racks and maybe take the lower one out for a bit until the top is done and then put it back in the top. This is frustrating enough that I have been looking at finding a used stove and replacing it. I'd of course prefer to "fix" this. I have wondered if something would work to dampen the "blast from the bottom" effect and turn the oven into more of a hot box rather than a blowtorch on the bottom of the pan. I've thought about trying to line the floor with firebricks or something like that - any ideas? It works fine for casseroles and roasts on a rack (mostly), just nothing that is in direct contact with a pan (yes, have tried different pans and typically use a Silpat). Marginally better when I've used an air gap cookie sheet but that doesn't work for everything. I really miss our old Dacor electric wall ovens.
    2. The broiler. Uggh. How are you making the broiler work? I don't love the idea of crawling on the kitchen floor to try to fit a pan into that little slot, with no variability in height and making it work, but even when trying, it seems the food is too close to the flame. [Note: on my model, the broiler is a separate compartment below the ovens, small door flips down and there are shallow slots to slide your item onto.] We tried to use it one time at Thanksgiving a few years ago and it immediately flamed/burnt the item - marshmallows on the top of the yam dish...scraped it off and tried again with only slightly better results. Any tips and tricks?

Now for the comments, in case it helps others:

• In general the burners are great - they certainly get hot enough, and I've had to remind myself not to automatically go to High when sauteeing. The griddle works well, and it's nice that it has flat on one side and ribbed on the other. Only other comments are that simmer is still not low enough sometimes but a simmer plate can help that, and I really wish there was a setting or variability between Low and Simmer. Low is often too high but Simmer (where it shuts off the outer ring and only uses the smaller inner flame) is too light. Mostly an issue when making a pot of soup/stock/stew and you want to keep it at a light simmering boil. I'll have to experiment with the heat diffuser to see if that helps (kinda doubt it since I have heavy/good pots).
    • Not sure if all have open burners, but ours does. We do have to take the grates and metal catch plates off all the time to clean below. I can't hit a basketball hoop to save my life, but somehow I can shoot little thing through that hole all the time.
    • Re: the hood, we have a good one that the previous owners also put in. We do not have a problem with the hood being too low - husband is 6'5" and he said he doesn't even think about it...so not sure why that might be an issue for some (we can see and reach everything and don't consciously have to avoid anything).
    • Also about the hood - the previous owner mentioned that he ended up having to run a special air duct for "makeup air" because it wouldn't pass inspection - so if you do a powerful vent hood, beware that you may have to have special venting (probably not a FiveStar specific problem, but powerful stove led to powerful vent hood...).
    • As mentioned above, there are no electronics, which is generally good from a reliability standpoint.
    • Pluses and minuses on the service. On the plus side, as mentioned above, super nice and helpful people on the phone in Tennessee. They emailed me manuals and documents and even a scan of the wiring diagram for when my husband replaced the temp controller. But we did try to start with finding a service person in our area (Seattle area). They gave us two names - one company didn't exist any longer and the other number I never heard back from...their message said they were only working on commercial equipment, not for residential (the way they phrased it wasn't professional vs. residential level stoves, it was working for commercial businesses and not individuals). I called a few other appliance repair companies and they didn't know the stoves and said they didn't service them. Knowing now after my husband did the repair, I think for any future problems I would: (1) Call service and try to get any relevant diagrams and part numbers for whatever problem I was having, then, (2) Try to coax the good appliance repair company out and trust that their general knowledge plus diagrams/parts would allow them to fix it, and (3) know that likely diagnosing and fixing would be a two-step process since they likely wouldn't have parts with them.
    • As I ranted in the question section I really, really don't like the ovens or the broiler. Likely would feel different if it had the electric ovens/broiler.
    • No oven self-clean, and at at least so far, there's been no me-clean :-) . Really need to tackle that glass one of these days...
  • Mike Wash

Quite an impressive response! @riettas

So, yeah the broiler is low. Same as on our 36 inch. Little door where you have to kneel down to use. Most broilers ive seen are in this configuration but not sure if 5 Star is lower than most, maybe to capitalize on oven space? I havent found it to be too bad to use. It does work fast. Like you can melt cheese on a tuna melt in like a minute. When I use it, I stand by the oven and check every 30 sec or so to make sure things arent burning. I think thats just how it is. Maybe on your marshmallow dish some tin foil on top would help the browning process be a little more gradual than straight to a burn, but yeah it works very quickly.

Not sure about the oven issues. Is it the same on both ovens? It looks like your model has two compartments. Does both sides have the same issues? Does your model have the convection fan blower? It looks like an add on feature so maybe that isnt blowing the air around properly?

We havent had any issues with the oven cooking unevenly. We do not have the convection feature and it performs just fine. Maybe take a look at the base to make sure it was installed at the facility properly? Like maybe it doesnt have uniform vents at the base for the heat to rise evenly?

Is the bottom of the oven open? I know when our contractor was installing the oven and finishing the cabinets they tried to have the base board go over the opening below the broiler where the oven legs are. I let them know it had to be left open in order for the oven to work properly. If you look at the pics on my original post you can see that air intake. If its not that, then maybe the air vent for the oven at the back of the stove top is somehow blocked?

The oven door and window is always covered in browned fat droplets. I cleaned it once with Bar Keepers Friend and worked pretty good, but its a pain in the ass regardless.

I have sealed burners so havent had the same issues with what you described except I wish the burners got a little lower for really gradual simmering. My rear center burner works the best at the lowest setting because it is tucked in the back and doesnt get any air disturbances from the AC vent in the ceiling blowing the flame around. If I use the low settings for simmering on the front burners, simply walking by makes the flame dance and makes the ignitor click which gets annoying.

We also have one guy to repair our stove. I hope he doesnt retire any time soon or we'll be in the same boat. Hope some of this was helpful.

• riettas

Thanks very much @Mike Wash. Well, it's good to know that maybe the oven issue is something fixable, although what it is doesn't jump out at me yet. To answer your questions: yes, on our model we have two same-size ovens without convection and the problem happens in both. The base is open so no air-flow restrictions happening. I'll have to look at the floor of the oven more to see if it looks like anything is amiss. My guess has been that there's fairly thin enamel coated metal on the bottom and the flames are pumping onto that so the heat is just going straight up from the bottom. That's what had me wondering if putting something on the bottom of the oven floor would dampen that effect, but maybe not...and didn't occur to me that it could interfere with how it works.

And good for you that you do have one repair person - we never were able to get anyone out. Hope we don't have something big go, not sure my husband wants to learn that much about how to repair a range :-).