Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Your favorite Old Garden Roses?

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
7 years ago

2013 was the first year I began growing these beautiful roses, with the exception of ZD, which I had previously grown. Part of my hesitation in growing them was thinking I liked the modern roses better, and didn't want to waste my time with something I thought I wouldn't be that fond of, but I proved myself wrong as these became more established! Now, I wouldn't want to be without them. They add so much to the spring landscape, and their intermittent blooms throughout the season, not only with their beauty, but the fragrances as well. I definitely intend to add more of these types of roses to my collection.

Which Old Garden Roses are your favorites?

MME ISAAC PEREIRE - Bourbon.

SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON - Bourbon

ZEPHIRINE DROUHIN - BOURBON

REINE DES VIOLETTES - HYBRID PERPETUAL

KATHLEEN HARROP - BOURBON

VARIEGATA DI BOLOGNA - BOURBON

ISABELLA SPRUNT - TEA

MME ERNEST CALVAT - BOURBON

Comments (16)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

I hope this is a popular post as I so want to add a few, but am reluctant for a variety of reasons. I am adding Mme I. Pierre and some Hybrid Musks, but don't think the latter are strictly OGRs. Anne, yours look magnificenat; you give me hope.

• smithdale1z8pnw
    7 years ago

Comte de Chambord, Marie Pavie, Penelope, Marchesa Bocella(aka Jacques Cartier), Mme Plantier, Duchesse de Rohan. I'm not quite sure what OGR really means, I thought it was prior to 1867 but I see lots of roses referred to on Antique Roses that are a lot younger. For instance Reve d'or(1869), Mme Jules Bouche(1910 my favorite). In fact Penelope(referred to above) is 1924. Very confusing, perhaps there's another criteria for OGRs.

Jane

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Sara-Ann, you might get more responses to this if you post it on the Antique Roses forum.

Jackie

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hands down, my favorite OGR is Jacques Cartier, aka. Marchesa Boccella.

When grown on a rootstock (multiflora on the specimens that I refer to), it grows 4' X 2', rather vertically. Blooms continuously all season long with extravagantly fragrant flowers. Hardy as an oak. Jacques Cartier laughs at wind and rain, not a stem leans or diverts from its bolt upright growth habit.

Yes, it has short necks...not good for cutting. Yes, its blooms are smallish, 3" on average. Yes, the foliage looks droopy, 'wilty,' although it is perfectly all right...just a quirky trait.

Alas, it grows like a sickly wimp in my garden on its own roots! Struggles to reach 2'. Falls apart in the wind or rain. Eats a whole box of Ironite and still pushes out chlorotic foliage. Shovelpruning mine was the most merciful act I could have performed for it.

I would grow Jacques Cartier in a heart beat if I could get one grafted on multiflora rootstock.

The Jacques Cartier I so greatly loved were mature specimens growing in a local public garden. They were growing in full sun, grown in average to below average soil (natural deposition of pyrite clay below 12" of good topsoil, a horrible growing environment, the worst type of clay imaginable), but given very good care, otherwise. They flourished...looked like miniature crab apple trees.

They actually had trunks! These were about 4" across at ground level. Branching started at about 6" up the trunk. They never made basal canes, ever, or any braching on the short, 6" trunk. All new growth came from the trunk at and above the 6" up the trunk point. That's why they looked like miniature crab apple trees. Beautiful!

The bud graft was planted 4" deep.

I was there in 1990 when they were planted, acquired from Pickering Nursery, Canada (sorry they went under: great nursery, great plants, service, and selection).

In 2005, when the Jacques Cartiers were in their prime and at the peak of their glory, they were removed, ripped out savagely in full bloom, with no attempt made to preserve them for replanting. They were discarded into a dumpster to make way for new modern roses. So goes progress.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

Well, I'm in a very different zone, but as a group the Teas are my favourite, because they do well here. My favourite Teas are Mrs Dudley Cross, Anna Olivier, William R Smith and Etoile de Lyon, but there are others I'm hoping will do well, foremost being Triomphe de Luxemburg (more probably it is Rhodologue Jules Graveraux), which is a lovely soft pink. I have MIP, but it struggles - too many fungal diseases with the humidity here. I have a couple of Chinas and Rugosas, and they do well too.

Sara-Ann, your roses are stunning. I tried ZD, but it defoliated here, and SdLM, which I have gown successfully in the climbing form, didn't do well here either. I also failed with R de V - had forgotten about that one - so many failures! I loved the blooms of ZD - three's something about the form I found captivating, and a lovely perfume too.

Trish

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago

You have beautiful roses, Sara Ann!

I grow about 40 OGR varieties. Everything is under 3 y/o, but these are my favorites thus far.

Blush Noisette : It is the most heat tolerant rose in my garden, has blooms almost non-stop and forms a nicely shaped bush. If I had any idea how well it would perform here, I would have purchased more than 2.

Maman Cochet

Mlle. de Sombreuil - If I could only grow one white rose....modern or OGR.. it would be a toss up between this one and Blush Noisette

Duchesse de Brabant and her sport Mme. Joseph Schwartz

Souvenir du Dr. Jamain

Paul Neyron

Clementina Carbonieri

SDLM

and Mme. Isaac Perierre

• romogen
    7 years ago

1. Felicite Parmentier

2. Juno

3. Blanchefleur

4. Deuil de Paul Fontaine

5. Waldtraut Nielsen

6. Doorenbos Selection

7. Wildenfels Gelb

8. Baronne Henriette de Snoy

9. Golden Chersonese

10. Rosa minutifolia

11. Rosa hemisphaerica

12. Soleil d'Or

13. Royal Blush

14. White Blush

15. Chaucer

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

Grew a few of the Bourbons & Hybrid Perpetuals in gardens past, having admired them for years, but couldn't do them justice no spray at the time in high humidity conditions. A handful on the short list to try again in this mature garden, along with a few Teas that might not freeze out. The hardier Noisettes seem a better fit here in positions protected from prevailing winter winds. Camelia Rose, Cato's Cluster & Setzer along with Tea Noisettes Crepuscule, Jaune Desprez & Reve d'Or arrived only last year, so still young & as yet untested. Potted on as they grew (with current pots insulated against the cold) & allowed only one bloom for confirmation, their energy went to root growth as anticipated. But spunky Setzer could barely be prevented from blooming. Pinched as tiny buds began to form, a few days later it was at it again with stubborn determination. In the continued heat of mid-October, stopped pinching those buds. No longer thwarted, Setzer happily flaunted its blooms in clusters & was immediately relocated to the front porch where its penetrating sweet perfume could be savored. Slipped inside a thick glazed pot, with spent flowers snapped off as they faded within the clusters, it bloomed nonstop through Christmas till finally stalled by lingering daytime cold in the teens & twenties. Though the overnight temps have dipped nearly to 0 (F), its leaves are still fresh & pristine. The last set of blooms freeze dried in place & are still decorative. Setzer Noisette has my heart. How appropriate it should find a place back in Virginia again. Greatly looking forward to seasons to come as this plucky rose grows up from its amazing babyhood. Thanks to Jeri that I knew of Setzer to scoop it up from A Reverence for Roses. http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.40998

Wonderful to see these old roses grown so well in your gardens! Sue

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Thank you for that lovely story. I wonder how it would do in a Z6a/b? I may have to try it next year and find out. Until I clear out the "back forty" most of my beds are in shade Oct. through May and full sun during the Summer.

• pat_bamaz7
    7 years ago

Hey Sara Ann,

I haven’t had a chance to post much on the forums lately,
    but have been trying to keep up with reading them. I’ve enjoyed seeing your pictures this year…very
    beautiful roses!!! I started adding OGRs
    to the gardens a few years ago based on reading about them here. I have fallen in love with them, but some are
    better suited for our heat & humidity than others. In general, the bourbons and HPs have lots of
    blackspot issues here. The noisettes
    & teas are better, but some do still spot...love them anyway, though. The
    Chinas seem to be the most resistant to fungal diseases in our area. Didn’t think I would like them too much due
    to their small flower size, but I’ve found they have a lot of charm and are almost
    everblooming during our growing season.

Some of my favorites:

Chinas:

Archduke Charles

Louise Philippe

Noisettes:

Champneys Pink Cluster

Natchitoches Noisette

Mary Washington

Teas:

Mrs. BR Cant

Perle des Jardins

Marie Van Houtte

Maman Cochet

Rosette Delizy

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your lists and also for the beautiful pictures, Desertgarden and Pat. I appreciate the contributions and good advice. I certainly hope others will show and tell about your favorites. Pat, I am always excited to see your posts, because I admire your roses so much, and have missed seeing them recently. I'm sure you must be busy though.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Pat, OMG those pictures!!! Great thread and all you posters. Too tired to list all mine but I strongly recommend this love which will never end.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    7 years ago

Pink Pet and Souv de la Malmaison became part of my garden way back in the early 1990's. They are still part of my garden today. Over the past 20+ years many OGR's have come and gone from my garden for a variety of reasons. Mostly either the plants were way to big for my garden or the blooms looked at the ground. I enjoy blooms that look at me. Just my thing. During my search for an OGR that fit into my garden the way I wanted, I found Compt de Chambroud. My new favorite OGR.

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

I love my OGR, since I've found them I have gotten few modern roses. Some of my favorites and I maybe leaving a few out.

Madame Lombard

Champneys Pink Cluster

A red China I got from RVR as "Louis Phillipe", but is not. The real one didn't survive our wild weather..

Mons Tiller

Gloire des Rosomaines

Veilchenblu

Gros Choux d'holland

Serrapatela

la Belle sultane

Autumn Damask

Kazanlik

Therese Bugnet

Green Rose

Reine des Violettes

Souviner de brod