Software
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Fireplace

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm asking here (and x-posting in the fireplace forum), because the fireplace forum doesn't get as much activity. I'm needing to find a fireplace that looks like it sits on the ground, is vented and is around 36" wide and about the same height. I want my tile to come up to the edge of the fireplace if possible.

I found the perfect fireplace in a Town and Country fireplace, but unfortunately they quoted me a price of $10,000. I'm in Fl and can't justify that price for a fireplace we'll be using only a few times a year and putting in more for the look of continuing a craftsman feel to the house.

Here is the look I'm trying to achieve. If anyone knows of a vented fireplace that would work, please let me know!

Or if anyone has any ideas on how to change up what was supposed to be my feature wall, I'm willing to also listen.

Comments (64)

  • 9 years ago

    I'm thinking about putting a single-panel fireplace screen in front of my gas fireplace to add interest, so it won't be a big black hole when the fire isn't "on". I like a couple of these at Neiman-Marcus.

    cpartist thanked PamS
  • 9 years ago

    Well after a frustrating night dreaming about fireplaces, I woke today and looked online again in my area. I called one company but they don't have a showroom. However it turns out they are the people putting in my plumbing and gas and they do work with Heatilator, Montigo, Heat and Glo, Majestic and Monesson. So now I may actually get somewhere.

    Ventless is not an option for me. While they are legal here, I won't subject myself to the possible problems they can cause, especially as someone who's sometimes asthmatic.

    bp, the lip at the bottom of most fireplaces is where the gas guts are. In some of the to the floor models, as far as I can tell, they put the guts on top which is fine with me. This would allow the fireplace to sit on the floor which is what I want.

    Pam those are absolutely beautiful, although they wouldn't work in my house because mine's a craftsman style. However I may look for an antique fire screen to sit in front.

  • 9 years ago

    Good morning, cpartist. Here are some images of alternatives in case you need some:

    I think the tile and other elements of the room are so well done that one would overlook the fact that the firebox is raised instead of flush with the hearth. You might want to get yourself a yellow Lab, too. ;) And, FWIW, this looks a lot like my uncle's office in his 100 year-old home in New Jersey, which doesn't even have a fireplace!

    Raised hearth

    Window seat if you forgo the fireplace


    cpartist thanked Sammy
  • 9 years ago

    BTW: When my uncle, who is himself an artist and sculptor and retired art teacher, purchased his home from my grandparents, he did an outstanding job with his restoration and remodel of the place. As I'm sure you can imagine, that house, like so many others, had a lot of "improvements" done over the years that needed undoing in order to achieve an appropriate, more cohesive look. It was quite an undertaking, but the results were well worth it!

    cpartist thanked Sammy
  • 9 years ago

    This one from Majestic looks nice in person and has a minimal bottom lip. It was a contender for me, but I ended up having a gas log installed rather than a entire new firebox. Majestic Marquis II

    cpartist thanked Illhhi
  • 9 years ago

    We are getting a fireplace where the opening is flush with the floor too. I don't know the cost, but the brand is Isokern if you want to check it out.

    cpartist thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much everyone.

    Sammy I have that first pic saved in my folder. I hadn't thought of a "window seat. Of course I don't have a window there, but could still do something like a "window seat.

    Do you have pics of your Uncle's house? I'm such an old craftsman/bungalow house lover. Have been since my first house which was a craftsman bungalow.

    Thank you Illhhi. The Majestic one does look nice and the guy doing our fireplace/gas lines does carry that brand. The only problem is he doesn't have a showroom, so I'd have to take my chances.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    We are getting a fireplace where the opening is flush with the floor too. I don't know the cost, but the brand is Isokern if you want to check it out.

    The Isokern is a great fireplace. I did look into them. However they have to be built out the roof like a regular fireplace and then you use a gas log, which would have actually been my preference, but from what I can tell the cost is quite a lot. And since it won't be used all that frequently (although 2 weeks ago I definitely could have used a fireplace), I really want it more for looks.

  • 9 years ago

    CP..following your post since I want something similar.

    You do not want direct vent. Is that correct?



    cpartist thanked ILoveRed
  • 9 years ago

    Did you price the Town & Country fireplace at a retail store? Try other stores or see what your architect or contractor can buy it for.

    cpartist thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    ILoveRed, my first desire would have been an Isokern with a gas log set, but alas it's not to be. Becomes prohibitive for something that will be used only a few times a year. (And yes, we will use it on cooler days.)

    JDS, I priced it at a retail store in NY and it came in at about $6500 if I remember and that didn't include the installation. I have the gas contractor guy who is actually doing our gas pricing it out for me now.

    It was just a fluke that I called his company this morning out of desperation, and found out it was his partner putting in my plumbing and he was doing my gas.

  • 9 years ago

    Because the expense of the 'to the ground' kind probably doesn't make sense for something you will rarely use, can you just cover the bottom part with a ledge (floating or not) to sit on. I personally LOVE that look and am lamenting that we don't have the space to do it.

    cpartist thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Well CP I will be anxious to see what you end up deciding. I just googled Isokern and our closest dealer is 156 miles.

    I really don't want to spend a fortune either. But I don't want to do direct vent again either.

    cpartist thanked ILoveRed
  • 9 years ago

    one of the reasons I want a flush hearth is because I don't want anything sticking up that I have to childproof.

    Love the first pic Sammy posted with tile hearth

    cpartist thanked ILoveRed
  • 9 years ago

    Sigh ILoveRed. Honestly if one of the long narrow ones would have worked for me, I'd have done the dimplex electric one. It's pricey but it actually fooled me from a distance. Even had the crackling wood sounds.

    Ideally, I would love to do just a gas log in a wood burning fireplace.

    Building, most craftsman houses have the fireplace sitting on the floor. The few that I've seen that don't are sheathed in brick and are a bit more "rustic" and I'm planning on doing tile.

    I know it's really silly to put a fireplace in FL but it's something I haven't had since growing up. We had a fireplace in our house growing up and loved sitting around it. Then my first house which was a 1927 craftsman bungalow, didn't have a fireplace. My second house, an 1898 victorian/colonial revival/farmhouse had a fireplace, but it had been closed off and converted to have the heating system run up the chimney, so was not usable.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you only use the fireplace for a limited number of times, seems to me that gas (or even electric) is the way to go. Even a large computer or TV screen and a DVD might be better...

    Wood burners have to be cleaned and maintained. Plus you gotta store and haul the wood each time. Then you need a gas or press-log fire starter...pain upon pain. For just a few times a year...? Are you sure...?

    cpartist thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • 9 years ago

    If you can get it in your budget, then I think I would pay the 10k for the one you like (T & C). I think of a fireplace as a focal point in the house and you want it to look right. Even though you may not use it much, think about how often you are going to look at it.

    cpartist thanked rockybird
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    CP..I was just browsing on the Fireplace forum and someone mentioned/compared this brand as the American version of Isokern.

    I watched a couple of YouTube videos of Isokern. Made in Denmark. No wonder they are high. Shipping must bring the price up. I looked at the plan that was done for us 2 yrs ago for the house we didn't build and sure enough he had spec' d a 42" Isokern.

    tell me what you think of this brand when you get a chance...

    http://www.firerock.us/masonry-fireplaces?__hssc=253362454.1.1484699651546&__hstc=253362454.26fb15b1d3966ee82d6807df6380c118.1484699651546.1484699651546.1484699651546.1&__hsfp=2136183146&hsCtaTracking=effc9d91-230a-4352-874a-34390df4e25e%7C8e1e4121-f825-4422-a9c6-43f7533fda4d

    cpartist thanked ILoveRed
  • 9 years ago

    Virgil, I have no intention of getting wood burning. Ideally I'd love to get an Isokern fireplace, and then get a gas log insert but most likely will wind up with a direct vent fireplace. The electric ones just look too fake.

    ILoveRed, I'll have to give them a call, but it still looks relatively expensive because you have to add in masonry and it has to vent out the roof. Then you need to add the log set.

    rockybird, I just can't justify paying that much for something that won't be used much. I'd rather spend the money on the kitchen, or my studio, or...

    While the T and C may look the most realistic, some of the other brands look darn good too and I'm hoping one of those will be in budget.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Just to review some of the negatives of something that's almost never used: expensive upfront, more maintenance, increases risk of fire, introduces risk of combustion backdrafting, and makes it more difficult to achieve a tight building envelope.

    An antique notion of emotional attachment that probably doesn't belong in current homebuilding standards.

    cpartist thanked Springtime Builders
  • 9 years ago

    Springtime, we are well aware of your thoughts and they are excellent thoughts. :) However just like I'm having a gas barbecue outside, I want a gas fireplace inside. As mentioned, if the electric ones looked just a tad more real, like the one dimplex model, I'd have chosen the electric.

    Curious though, if it's a direct vent fireplace, why is that more difficult to achieve a tight building envelope since the direct vent is completely enclosed?

  • 9 years ago

    Have you ruled out the Dimplex Opti-Myst? I know upthread you mention you've ruled out Dimplex because it's long and narrow but this set-up looks relatively squared off to my eye:

    http://www.electricfireplacescanada.ca/EFCA-Products-Accessories/Dimplex-Opti-Myst-Fireplaces-CA/dimplex-28-opti-myst-open-hearth-electric-insert


    Keep in mind the price is in Canadian dollars.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hi Paraveina. Yes I've ruled out the opti-myst. It looks better in the pictures than in reality. In reality all that happens is a light shines from below while mist rises. Not realistic at all, or even that interesting looking. Thank you though.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    if it's a direct vent fireplace, why is that more difficult to achieve a
    tight building envelope since the direct vent is completely enclosed?

    Common complaint discussed here before.


    Though I would be extremely wary about some of the diy repairs detailed, such as using silicone against hot exhaust vents.

    cpartist thanked worthy
  • 9 years ago

    thank you. In other words worthy, if it's installed correctly, then there shouldn't be a problem with the building envelope. :)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Just to be clear, even if it's installed correctly, does not mean it's safe from backdrafting. When the building envelope is under a lot of negative pressure caused by exhaust vents, unbalanced HVAC systems, stack effect or windy conditions, combustion exhaust can be sucked into the home through leaks in the appliance itself.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    *begs forgiveness from CP, for potentially taking her thread on a tangent*

    Springtime, for those of us who might actually *need* a fireplace for a home in a back-water cold climate kind of place, what the heck do we do???? Feel free to message me privately if the answer is a particularly lengthy one, lol. Thank you!

    cpartist thanked One Devoted Dame
  • 9 years ago

    CP- how about these?


    This one?

    There appears to be one dealer in Florida.

    Or this one?

    There are more than one dealer in Florida.

    cpartist thanked doc5md
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Doc thank you. However that first one is a vent free one. Definitely not safe for so many reasons. Be careful about that when you're buying one for your home.

    The second one, the H series is the one our plumber carries and recommends. He's getting me a price on it. :)

  • 9 years ago

    ODD I wouldn't mind the thread taking the other direction too.

  • 9 years ago

    I received a brief message from Springtime (yay!) with a promise of more info/a dedicated thread in a week or so. :-) I'm excited.

    Thanks for being so cool about my randomness, Miss CP.

    Okay, it just occurred to me that I've been calling you (Miss) Colored Pencil. And yet Miss Artist sounds too formal, or that I'm being snooty or something; I tried that one a couple of times. ;-)

    Anyway, I'm totally looking forward to your fireplace... Do you have any photos of the tile? Should I poke around your Lookbooks?

    cpartist thanked One Devoted Dame
  • 9 years ago

    I'm planning on using Rookwood Pottery's Prelude Rose tile in matte colors. Dark green background and a reddish colored rose. I might use the leaf pattern too, and closer to the opening, a liner. The rose tile will be scattered and most of the fireplace will be field tile


  • 9 years ago

    Those tiles are gorgeous. You gotta use the leaf somehow... Even if it's just one in each corner, or an accent line, or *something.*

    You are making me reconsider a Craftsman, you know that? :-D

    cpartist thanked One Devoted Dame
  • 9 years ago

    It's the rounded leaf I want to mix in.

    You are making me reconsider a Craftsman, you know that? :-D

    It's my favorite. :)

  • 9 years ago

    Cpartist...just left a house that has this fireplace. It seems to fit the bill. It is a Majectic 42" but my hostess was kind enough to find her manual and it also comes in a 36". It it gas.



    cpartist thanked ILoveRed
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thank you! So that's a wood burning insert with a gas log set.

  • 9 years ago

    Those tiles are gorgeous!

  • 9 years ago

    Town and country 42.


    cpartist thanked brentr20706
  • 9 years ago

    brentr20706, it's absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations. However it is way too expensive for us. If I were in a more northern climate, I could absolutely see the value in having the town and country and would spend the money to install it, but here in FL, I can't justify the cost.

  • 9 years ago

    Fireplace Xtraordinaire has a line of gas fireplaces called "clean face" with no grill. I think there are two different sizes. Not sure of the price.

    cpartist thanked Katie S.
  • 9 years ago

    http://www.heatilator.com/Products/Heirloom-Series-Gas-Fireplace.aspx

    Might be bound by what the installer is comfy with, and freight

    cpartist thanked sprink1es
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you sprinkles. That is one of the fireplaces I gave our gas guy to look into. Still waiting to hear back from him.

    Thank you cas81611. Those are nice but they are much wider than they are tall. I'm trying to find one that is more "square" faced.

  • 9 years ago

    OK so the most reasonable priced fireplace is a Montego H34 or H38 series fireplace. Has anyone used Montego? Have pics?

  • 9 years ago

    FYI....we just placed an order for a Montigo fireplace. We had received quotes for Mendota, Heatilator and Heat & Glo. My favorite was the Mendota, but the Montigo looks almost the same. I saw it in a showroom and it's a nice looking fireplace. It was half the price of the Mendota so that's what we went with. Living in Texas, we couldn't justify paying a bunch of money for something that would only be used for ambiance. What did you decide?

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you gth. I also decided to go with a Montigo for the same reason. We're doing the HW 38 fireplace and dropping it so it will "sit" on the floor

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Okay - a REALLY dumb question: does no one just BUILD a fireplace today like they used to do? Must all be inserts?

  • 9 years ago

    Anglophilia - I entered into our home build with the assumption that we'd build a fireplace. I thought that's what everyone did! :) But in the budgeting/quoting process we realized how expensive it would be to build one. Also in our research, we discovered that a traditional wood burning fireplace is extremely inefficient and dirty. A traditional gas one is less dirty, but still inefficient. So we decided on a direct vent. Not my first choice when it came to authenticity but we live in Texas and the actual necessity of a fireplace isn't there. Ours will be to look pretty and to use when it gets particularly cold (sub 30's....rare) or to use as ambiance on cool nights. I think for our needs a direct vent fireplace is perfect.

    cpartist - glad you found one that will work! Ours will sit on the floor too. I'm glad that decision is behind us.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Anglophilia

    A wood burning fireplace can be site built masonry or a factory built metal one that is almost indistinguishable from the masonry one. The masonry fireplace could have a metal chimney. the difference in costs are considerable.

    An insert is a wood stove made to be inserted into an existing fireplace or to look like it was.

    When a factory built metal fireplace is placed so the bottom of the firebox is level with the floor or a raised hearth so it looks like an old fashioned fireplace, special care much be taken to avoid exposing combustibles immediately below the front edge of the firebox. Follow the installations instructions very carefully.

  • 6 years ago

    For those that bought Montigos - how do you like them? I'm having a hard time finding client reviews.